MAMADOU SAKHO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:18 pm

JC_81 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:07 pm wrote:Complete nonsense mate. Sakho was left trying to mark 2 men. Where was Kelly? He was meant to be the right back and was nowhere to be seen for the goal.

Not in a million years was that goal Sakho's fault.

And not in a million years was that goal down to one mistake.

Firstly it was a poor challenge in a stupid area, conceding the free kick.

Secondly Mignolet is facing the play, he must have seen the man unmarked at the back stick.

Third, Sahko and Skrtel are the centre halves, its their jobs to organise between them who goes where.

Fourth, Kelly was in no mans land.

Fifth, Sahko actually did just back in, leaving himself unable to even jump, watch it again.

There were five players at fault for that goal, Sahko was one of them, to "exclude" him from blame is incorrect.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:28 pm

JC_81 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:07 pm wrote:Complete nonsense mate. Sakho was left trying to mark 2 men. Where was Kelly? He was meant to be the right back and was nowhere to be seen for the goal.

kelly being tall might have been designated to mark someone else, you dont mark in formation at set pieces.
personally i`m dissappointed in mingolet there, he had a great view of how the situation was panning out and he should have been ordering players to the back post to help sakho out.
keepers like clemence and grobbelaar were very vocal and were quite aggressive when it came to marshalling their defences, i`ve seen grobbelaar actually grab one of our players by the scruff of the neck and frog march them over to the man they should be marking on many occasions.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:18 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:28 pm wrote:
JC_81 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:07 pm wrote:Complete nonsense mate. Sakho was left trying to mark 2 men. Where was Kelly? He was meant to be the right back and was nowhere to be seen for the goal.

kelly being tall might have been designated to mark someone else, you dont mark in formation at set pieces.
personally i`m dissappointed in mingolet there, he had a great view of how the situation was panning out and he should have been ordering players to the back post to help sakho out.
keepers like clemence and grobbelaar were very vocal and were quite aggressive when it came to marshalling their defences, i`ve seen grobbelaar actually grab one of our players by the scruff of the neck and frog march them over to the man they should be marking on many occasions.

Agreed mate, at first I thought Mignolet should have done better with communication, but I also see Stu's point of view on the center halves needing to tell each other where to mark, it was just so disorganized.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:19 am

5 players at fault?

Bollox.

There was a man free meaning one of our players wasn't doing his job. I'm well aware we don't mark set pieces in formation but watch it again and tell me who Kelly was marking.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Basil » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:32 am

In the old days you would lineup in formation for set pieces but who knows these days, do we even man mark or use the zonal system ?

It's obvious there was a big gap on the right and that Sakho had two men but I don't think we can blame individuals without knowing the system we were using.

The system and coaching of our set pieces is surely to blame, either the system isn't working well enough or the players aren't too sure what they should be doing but I'm sure Brendan realises that and is doing his best to rectify the problem.
Basil

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:51 am

Basil » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:32 am wrote:In the old days you would lineup in formation for set pieces but who knows these days, do we even man mark or use the zonal system ?

It's obvious there was a big gap on the right and that Sakho had two men but I don't think we can blame individuals without knowing the system we were using.

The system and coaching of our set pieces is surely to blame, either the system isn't working well enough or the players aren't too sure what they should be doing but I'm sure Brendan realises that and is doing his best to rectify the problem.

well at least it happened when we were 3-0 up, it could have been much worse, it could have happened in the last minute of a tight 0-0 game.
as you say no doubt rodgers will make sure that a basic error like that wont happen again.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:41 pm

JC_81 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:19 am wrote:5 players at fault?

Bollox.

There was a man free meaning one of our players wasn't doing his job. I'm well aware we don't mark set pieces in formation but watch it again and tell me who Kelly was marking.

And you watch it again and tell me it wasn't a stupid challenge to concede the free kick. Watch it again and tell me Mignolet shouldn't have been screaming at his defence like Reina would to pick up the spare man. Watch it again and tell me Sahko didn't back into the player instead of trying to jump and head the ball. Watch it again and tell me where Skrtel was and what part he played in the organisation.

You're sounding like the typical football fan who thinks its a game about individual's. Its a team game, that goal conceded due a lack of organisation, communication, and a series of mistakes.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:47 pm

Basil » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:32 am wrote:In the old days you would lineup in formation for set pieces but who knows these days, do we even man mark or use the zonal system ?

Man to Man marking at its absolute worst.

Zonal marking is much more solid and allows your best players to be in the most dangerous positions. Its also alot easier to organise. The problem is when you have brain dead defenders like Skrtel and ball watchers like Enrique and Gerrard then problems can occur when players fail to take responsibility.

Something needs to be done, because the amount of errors in that goal the other day was frightening quite frankly, and its not the first time this season. We can't afford to make mistakes like that against good sides.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:38 pm

Mr 'the grass is always greener' at it again!

Critical of zonal marking under Benitez, now harping on about it being the way to go instead of man-to-man after one goal conceded (because Kelly lost his man).
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:22 pm

JC_81 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:38 pm wrote:Mr 'the grass is always greener' at it again!

Critical of zonal marking under Benitez, now harping on about it being the way to go instead of man-to-man after one goal conceded (because Kelly lost his man).

Oddly enough, Stu always said Zonal marking was better than Man Marking, even during Benitez's days, there was a whole thread he put up about it a couple of years ago advocating zonal marking. He only criticised the quality we had.

Don't know what you are talking about, you are mistaken with someone else
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:38 pm

Don't know why you're getting involved.

Happy to stand corrected if you show me a link to the thread though.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:57 pm

JC_81 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:38 pm wrote:Don't know why you're getting involved.

Happy to stand corrected if you show me a link to the thread though.

It's Christmas, don't you feel the love :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Pi.ss off you with your moral high ground! :laugh:

Merry Christmas now go sit down and watch Chelsea and Arsenal kick shades out of each other! Should be good.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:15 pm

JC_81 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:01 pm wrote:Pi.ss off you with your moral high ground! :laugh:

Merry Christmas now go sit down and watch Chelsea and Arsenal kick shades out of each other! Should be good.

:nod

looking good so far the game lots of kicking :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:34 pm

JC_81 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:38 pm wrote:Mr 'the grass is always greener' at it again!

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Never once in my life have I ever been critical of zonal marking. Suggest you check your facts.

As for you blaming Kelly and only Kelly for that goal, that shows what a mug you are mate.

Its a team game.

:laugh:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion