MAMADOU SAKHO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RedAnt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:58 am

I like him. And he's only going to get better.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:23 am

damjan193 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:04 pm wrote:I think that the lad will have a few "what the hell was he thinking?!" moments but I also expect even better performances than the one he had yesterday.

Along with others I like the fella, he's nothing if not fking intimidating. He has already shown that he likes to "play" a bit and in terms of passing the ball about is closer to Agger than Carragher, however he does sometimes look like "an accident waiting to happen", he's effective, no denying that but he's also sometimes rash, I'd prefer it if he stayed on his feet a bit more when going in for a tackle but all in all he's looking like a great acquisition.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RedAnt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:53 am

woof woof ! » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:23 am wrote:
damjan193 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:04 pm wrote:I think that the lad will have a few "what the hell was he thinking?!" moments but I also expect even better performances than the one he had yesterday.

Along with others I like the fella, he's nothing if not fking intimidating. He has already shown that he likes to "play" a bit and in terms of passing the ball about is closer to Agger than Carragher, however he does sometimes look like "an accident waiting to happen", he's effective, no denying that but he's also sometimes rash, I'd prefer it if he stayed on his feet a bit more when going in for a tackle but all in all he's looking like a great acquisition.

That shouldn't be a problem. He looks a bit erratic and in such cases its best to take the rough with the smooth. We've seen enough to know that he has what it takes. If he's not daft, he'll learn and minimise the likelihood of mishaps.
RedAnt

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:39 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:11 pm wrote:

it was either him or hendo who were motm imo.
thats 2 impressive performances by sakho back to back, he was great up at sunderland as well.
because of his size people forget that he`s only 23 which is young for a starting CB, he`s going to be immense this lad in a few years time.

Whats that supposed to mean? "In a few years time"?

Why not now? ???

If he's not good enough now, he's not going to be in a few years. He's 23 f*ck ***** sake not 15!
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:43 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:42 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:04 pm wrote:I think that the lad will have a few "what the hell was he thinking?!" moments but I also expect even better performances than the one he had yesterday.

every young defender has moments like that though, alan hansen nearly cost us the european cup in 78 with a bad back pass in the final and jamie carragher once scored 2 own goals in one game, for united at anfield!!

And that my friend, is exactly what I'm talking about...

In football when a defender scores an OG and is 20, people say its a lack of experience... when a 30 year old does it... they don't. Gerrard once gave the ball to Heny in his mid twenties during an Arsenal match... it was a "lack of experience".... he then done it again in an England match... what was it that time?

Ferdinand and Woodgate played for Leeds and were immense at 21. Age is f*ck all to do with absolutely anything and I am sick to death of hearing used as an arguement against players short commings.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:48 pm

woof woof ! » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:23 am wrote:

Agree... He did play quite well again the other day... tested more than he was at Sunderland.

But, its hard to get carried away because some people think he was "immense" against Palace and Sunderland. Anyone can be immense against those sides at the moment. When he's "immense" against City, United, Chelsea and such and shows he can read a game and position himself properly (probably the most important thing in defending) then he'll convince the majority.

Until then... the juries still out.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedAnt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:45 pm

When talking of the age of a footballer it's not really the same as his numerical age. Players learn, adapt and mature at different rates. Muscles grow at different rates. Everything does. I think people generalise when they say "older", but only you, Stu, are pedantic enough to pick at such things, like the whole AMC and DM thing. It's just universal terminology to make things easier.

A years time might not seem a lot, but one season in football can mature a player by vast amounts. I already see a better understanding from Sahko, so if he keeps improving at his current rate, I'm happy :)
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:43 pm

StuYesThatStu » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:43 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:04 pm wrote:I think that the lad will have a few "what the hell was he thinking?!" moments but I also expect even better performances than the one he had yesterday.

every young defender has moments like that though, alan hansen nearly cost us the european cup in 78 with a bad back pass in the final and jamie carragher once scored 2 own goals in one game, for united at anfield!!

In football when a defender scores an OG and is 20, people say its a lack of experience... when a 30 year old does it... they don't. Gerrard once gave the ball to Heny in his mid twenties during an Arsenal match... it was a "lack of experience".... he then done it again in an England match... what was it that time?

Ferdinand and Woodgate played for Leeds and were immense at 21. Age is f*ck all to do with absolutely anything and I am sick to death of hearing used as an arguement against players short commings.

age does matter, especially in center halves because positioning, reading the game and `know how` (i.e knowing exactly when to give a CF a sly shove) are a big part of playing the position. that all comes with experience.
btw ferdinand wasnt immense when he was 21, and like most center halves he was far better at 29 than he was at 23.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:06 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:43 pm wrote:
age does matter, especially in center halves because positioning, reading the game and `know how` (i.e knowing exactly when to give a CF a sly shove) are a big part of playing the position. that all comes with experience.
btw ferdinand wasnt immense when he was 21, and like most center halves he was far better at 29 than he was at 23.

More cliche rubbish from someone who listens to media cliche ***** lines and tries to use them to make themselves sound like they know what they're talking about.

And Ferdinand wasn't immense at 21?

Behave yourself lad. As soon as he developed physically at about 20 he was the best centre half in the country by a country mile and stayed that way till he was about 31 years old. When playing for Leeds next to Woodgate the two of them were on a different planet to anything else around at the time.

Like I've said before, if you've got it, you've got it. If you haven't... you won't just "get it" one day.

You remind me of one of those people who said "If Baros learns to play with his head up he'll better than Owen"... or... If Sissoko learns to pass he'll be better than Vieira.... or even better... Babel will be the new Henry one he learns to do this or that...

:laugh:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:15 pm

StuYesThatStu » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:06 am wrote:

More cliche rubbish from someone who listens to media cliche ***** lines and tries to use them to make themselves sound like they know what they're talking about.

Behave yourself lad. As soon as he developed physically at about 20 he was the best centre half in the country by a country mile and stayed that way till he was about 31 years old. When playing for Leeds next to Woodgate the two of them were on a different planet to anything else around at the time.

Like I've said before, if you've got it, you've got it. If you haven't... you won't just "get it" one day.

You remind me of one of those people who said "If Baros learns to play with his head up he'll better than Owen"... or... If Sissoko learns to pass he'll be better than Vieira.... or even better... Babel will be the new Henry one he learns to do this or that...

if woodgate and ferdinand were on a `different planet` to everyone else at the time how come hyypia and henchoz conceded considerably less goals than them?
someone`s on a different planet and it`s not ferdinand or woodgate.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Greavesie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:56 pm

StuYesThatStu » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:43 pm wrote:

It was a mistake from Gerrard and no indication of his ability as a footballer.

Sakho will have moments until he adapts. I can see he looks immense at times and liable at others, it'll take time to settle.

For me age is a big factor, experience comes with age. Obviously Ferdinand was absolutely immense at a young age but there's still many examples of players who've started poor and came good, Rio's Serbian partner being one of them
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:50 pm

experience is vital for any class defender, which is why Sammi and Carra were able to play on after their pace had long gone.

For me, Sakho is the replacement for Sammi. In my book, we never got over his departure and have looked dodgy at the back ever since, with strikers bullying our defenders all over the shop. That won't happen with this lad.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:58 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:15 pm wrote:

if woodgate and ferdinand were on a `different planet` to everyone else at the time how come hyypia and henchoz conceded considerably less goals than them?
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:50 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:15 pm wrote:

Really? Thats your arguement? Goals against?

Do you not think other factors like a the midfield, full backs and keeper will contribute to that? Or maybe the amount of games they played together down to circumstance? Or even tactical play? Whether a team plays an open style or all behind the ball etc etc.... No? Thought not... :laugh:

At 23 Ferdinand was considered Sh*t enough to spend £30,000,000 on aswell.

If you can't do something as a footballer by 23, you'll never be able to do it. FACT!
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:58 am

Greavesie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:56 pm wrote:
It was a mistake from Gerrard and no indication of his ability as a footballer.

Sakho will have moments until he adapts. I can see he looks immense at times and liable at others, it'll take time to settle.

For me age is a big factor, experience comes with age. Obviously Ferdinand was absolutely immense at a young age but there's still many examples of players who've started poor and came good, Rio's Serbian partner being one of them

Djimi Traore looked "immense" at times when he first broke through.

As for age and experience, I can probably name you hundreds of examples which completely prove its about quality, not these two over hyped and over used football sayings that don't mean a tap.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion