Making the next step....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:00 am

Ok, I think it's obvious we've reached a cross roads as a team and some big decisions need to be made in the next few weeks (and months) as we move on from our former stagnant placing as a mid table club to the grandeur of a top 4 contender.

The question is, what 4 steps would you take? Here's mine:

1) Sit Henry down and lay down the fact that we need two significant players in the £20 million bracket, our squad is too thin to cope with European football
2) Make a decision about Gerrard, Lucas and Johnson. Make the call and stick to it.
3) Bring back Pepe in the summer
4) Never loan players ever again. It's seldom worked and is a total waste of time.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:58 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:00 am wrote:Ok, I think it's obvious we've reached a cross roads as a team and some big decisions need to be made in the next few weeks (and months) as we move on from our former stagnant placing as a mid table club to the grandeur of a top 4 contender.

The question is, what 4 steps would you take? Here's mine:

1) Sit Henry down and lay down the fact that we need two significant players in the £20 million bracket, our squad is too thin to cope with European football
2) Make a decision about Gerrard, Lucas and Johnson. Make the call and stick to it.
3) Bring back Pepe in the summer
4) Never loan players ever again. It's seldom worked and is a total waste of time.

Schneiderlin from Saints would be first on my list, has a bit of everything and is a big lad, has physical presence which we lack.

Lucas, Johnson and Skrtel need shipping out A.S.A.P. while they have a transfer value. They can all easily be replaced. Johnson and Skrtel have replacements already in the squad.

Pepe, unfortunately I think its a pipe dream. Really hope it isn't the lad is class and we need a class goal keeper instead of the one we have now.

And loaning players is fine, as long as they're good enough to do a job. Had we signed Everton's loanees no-one would complain. Moses is a waste of space however as is the "left back" we signed.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:39 pm

thing is Stu, when did we last loan a player who actually added something to the team?  I'm thinking Anelka...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:00 am

If we didn't loan them then we would have bought them and I know which I would rather have. It's not bad that it's a loan, it's bad that it's Sh*t players that we're loaning. With the loans we're just being more cautious and I think that it's more of a good thing.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:52 am

For the first time in a long time we have an outside chance of top 4 but I think its obvious to everyone that we need a couple of
quality additions this window to give us a real shot at it.

Its all down the owners and whether they are willing and financially able to stump up the cash or keep playing the long game.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby mkingdom » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:14 pm

Reina is never coming back.

We are clearly fighting for 4th with Spurs, and probably Everton now with the top 3 moving out of sight.

We need more/better players this window, simple as that. A full back, a DM and if we have the cash another first team striker.
mkingdom

Postby parchpea » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:00 pm

Convinced Berbatov would be incredible with Suarez and Sturridge but regrettably it wont happen.

Guy is 32 but has amazing feet and guile, but we would sooner throw money at a young kid to spend a year
in the ressies then go out on loan.

Player like Berbatov comes straight in on a 2 year deal to get us in that top 4 and sometimes we are a bit
too fussy in my opinion.

Not arsed about his work rate the fella is absolute quality and would flourish in a better side.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:10 pm

parchpea » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:00 pm wrote:Convinced Berbatov would be incredible with Suarez and Sturridge but regrettably it wont happen.

Guy is 32 but has amazing feet and guile, but we would sooner throw money at a young kid to spend a year
in the ressies then go out on loan.

Player like Berbatov comes straight in on a 2 year deal to get us in that top 4 and sometimes we are a bit
too fussy in my opinion.

Not arsed about his work rate the fella is absolute quality and would flourish in a better side.

I'd take him till then end of the season. As you say, has tremendous feet, is good in the air and has a touch to die for.

He's not a Rodgers type player though due to the lack of work rate.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion