Lucky to be playing chelsea - My belief

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:18 pm

i have had a thought and I think that we are lucky to be in the all english semi final in the champions league.

bearing in mind the recent problems in european games involving english supporters, there is a fear in uefa that it will be an all english final in Athens, they have the fear that we will be playing man utd, i have seen in another thread the worries about the fact there could be days of troubles, lots of fans will go early and spend a few days in athens or even the greek islands and resorts.

anyway the purpose of the thread, why are we lucky? i know this is a conspiracy theory but i feel that the man utd/ ac milan semi could be very much influenced by officials to ensure a Milan victory in the semi.

I know some will say the recent troubles didnt involve two english clubs in the same game, but the very fresh memory of a trouble free final in istanbul could be a factor.

do others think that uefa would be above doing this or do you think its a possibility?
112-1077774096

Postby Judge » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:26 pm

peewee wrote:i have had a thought and I think that we are lucky to be in the all english semi final in the champions league.

yeah, chelsea were fucking lucky  :laugh:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:26 pm

er...your talkin about footy there chief ???
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:27 pm

I know where your coming from but I can't see it. I don't think their needs to be any dodgy officiating as I genuinely fancy Milan to beat them over two legs anyway.

Milan are nowhere near as naive as Roma were. They've been the best side in Europe over the last 4-5 years and I fancy them to do it.

They won't sit off United, that's for certain. The only thing is that they're not as clinical upfront as they were two years ago, but United aren't clinical either. There's not a single player in their side who you could say for 100% will bury a clear cut chance like you could with RVN or Crespo last time 'round.

Am going to be laughing if Fergie starts with Scholes and Carrick in the centre for this game with no back up. Kaká could run riot.

That could be the difference really. United don't have a quality 'destroyer' to stop Kaká if he fancies it whereas Milan have a world class one in Gattuso
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:28 pm

neil wrote:er...your talkin about footy there chief ???

it has been known   ???

:D
112-1077774096

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:35 pm

stmike i agree with you on the football side, i also believe that milan will be too strong for them, and i believe they are at home in the second leg which will be a great advantage for them.

but i do wonder if milan go into the second leg a couple of goals down if we will see some questionable decisions
112-1077774096

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:40 pm

stmichael wrote:I genuinely fancy Milan to beat them over two legs anyway.

So do I.  One of the things that's keeping me balanced at the minute. 

I will really have no fingernails left after the Chelsea games (during the FA Cup semi final, I smoked two cigarettes.  I fucking hate smoking.)

But if we play Manchester United in the final, it will get stupid (I'm not saying I'll start smoking crack or anything), but they've still got to beat AC Milan, with the second leg at the San Siro which I think is the killer blow for me.  Milan won't let themselves down in the first leg at Old Trafford.  And I don't think Manchester United will do the business at the San Siro, with interference from corrupt officials or otherwise.

EDIT: If we beat Chelsea of course.
Last edited by jonnymac1979 on Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonnymac1979

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:55 pm

Youngsters rarely shine in this competition, notable exceptions are the likes of Kaká, Casillas and a young Raúl but for the most part, this is a competition for the experienced teams. Something Roma and Lille certainly weren't and something Milan certainly are.

To paraphrase something I read recently; most managers in the CL would probably prefer a less talented 28 year old who makes the right descision in possession 9 times out of 10 to a supremely talented 20 year old who makes the right choice 4-5 times out of 10.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby neil » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:06 pm

wise words there from st mike

I concur we the school of thought regarding AC Milan being toooo strong for the mancs.

It looks like we have another roller coaster ride to the season end again, there is something every year nowadays which is such a relief after the barren nineties, anyhow Chelsea, this will go exactly to script, tight as a gnats chaff, nerve shreading with major controversy pulling us through in the end to face a rematch with AC. I'm already feeling the pangs    :grinning:
Last edited by neil on Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:16 pm

Welcome back Peter mate!

Stay around and enjoy your ride....Good lad!

NA<<<< TIP!! :D
66-1120597113

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:38 pm

can you imagine how much trouble there we be if what you suggest did happen and it got out, i can see uefa doing what they did when there was all the talk of us possibly replacing everton when we won it in 2005, they`ll sit back on there arses and see what happens hoping that milan can do the job

should uefa`s worst fears come about and we end up playing manure in the final or even chelsea /manure whats the chances of the game being moved to wembley. i know there is great prestige for the country hosting it but would they really want 100,000 plus english fans who lets face it hate eachother travelling to athens.

we all know which two teams uefa want in the final i just cant see them doing anything to make it so.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby neil » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:43 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:Welcome back Peter mate!

Stay around and enjoy your ride....Good lad!

NA<<<< TIP!! :D

wrong thread mate

http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=21090
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ade » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:45 pm

peewee wrote:i have had a thought and I think that we are lucky to be in the all english semi final in the champions league.

bearing in mind the recent problems in european games involving english supporters, there is a fear in uefa that it will be an all english final in Athens, they have the fear that we will be playing man utd, i have seen in another thread the worries about the fact there could be days of troubles, lots of fans will go early and spend a few days in athens or even the greek islands and resorts.

anyway the purpose of the thread, why are we lucky? i know this is a conspiracy theory but i feel that the man utd/ ac milan semi could be very much influenced by officials to ensure a Milan victory in the semi.

I know some will say the recent troubles didnt involve two english clubs in the same game, but the very fresh memory of a trouble free final in istanbul could be a factor.

do others think that uefa would be above doing this or do you think its a possibility?

I don't often agree with a lot of what you write, but the same thought went through my head this morning.

Already, the papers are crackling with stuff about 'Uefa's worst nightmare'. Us against the Mancs is the final they do not want, and since when are football's world or European governing bodies averse to a little interference. Whether it's warm balls in the draw for world cups or well-chosen officials, I agree, the refereeing in the Mancs v Milan will be as entertaining as the football.

Not least cos I don't think Utd's supporters have endeared themselves to Uefa or Europe much over the past few months.

I also think Milan might need a little help. You look at the team they put out against us compared to what they have now. This is a much weaker team, especially up front, and with the pace Utd break with I can see them giving Maldini and co a hatful of problems.

Hate to say it, but i think it will take some odd officiating to stop Utd reaching the final.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:56 pm

I'd be ready to blame UEFA of a lot of things, especially filling their pockets with money.

But to be honest, back in year 2000 they didn't do much to avoid a Real Madrid - Valencia final, which is what happened. So I don't think they'll try to avoid any particular final this time neither, for the same reason.

About the security problem that may cause two rival crowds facing each other, what they have to do is move their árses, work hard, and avoid problems. It's their job, they're well paid for that.

Same applies to the UEFA cup, in which you have 3 Spanish teams.

I disagree lots of things of UEFA, I think their agenda is money, but I don't see reasons to think they'll try to force a final. I don't think they'll want the English teams out of the competitions neither, we all want english teams in our country, a Galatasaray, or an Austria de Viena, or a Gotteborg cannot crowd a 98000 capacity stadium, Liverpool FC or Manure can. That's money, that's show, that's what everybody in Europe wants to see.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ade » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:09 pm

Sabre wrote:I'd be ready to blame UEFA of a lot of things, especially filling their pockets with money.

But to be honest, back in year 2000 they didn't do much to avoid a Real Madrid - Valencia final, which is what happened. So I don't think they'll try to avoid any particular final this time neither, for the same reason.

About the security problem that may cause two rival crowds facing each other, what they have to do is move their árses, work hard, and avoid problems. It's their job, they're well paid for that.

Same applies to the UEFA cup, in which you have 3 Spanish teams.

I disagree lots of things of UEFA, I think their agenda is money, but I don't see reasons to think they'll try to force a final. I don't think they'll want the English teams out of the competitions neither, we all want english teams in our country, a Galatasaray, or an Austria de Viena, or a Gotteborg cannot crowd a 98000 capacity stadium, Liverpool FC or Manure can. That's money, that's show, that's what everybody in Europe wants to see.

I disagree Sabre. To be fair, the security concerns over a Valencia v Real Madrid final were minimal. Liverpool v Man Utd is a massive concern in two countries - from the airports in the northwest of England (scousers and mancs sharing flights to Athens?) to the inevitable tension inside and outside the ground.

As for Uefa having concerns over selling out a final without Man Utd - there are none. Gone are the days when only around 20,000 watched Liverpool beat Moenchengladbach in Rome in 77.

Milan to Athens isn't far and they will sell a fair number of tickets, especially if it's against us (revenge). Chelsea would descend en masse for their first ever European Cup final, and we will take the best part of 40,000 supporters.

The Mancs semi-final will be decided the night before ours. But i still think Peewee's on to something
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion