Lucky to be playing chelsea - My belief

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby CarlosRocks » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:15 pm

Sabre wrote:I'd be ready to blame UEFA of a lot of things, especially filling their pockets with money.

But to be honest, back in year 2000 they didn't do much to avoid a Real Madrid - Valencia final, which is what happened. So I don't think they'll try to avoid any particular final this time neither, for the same reason.

About the security problem that may cause two rival crowds facing each other, what they have to do is move their árses, work hard, and avoid problems. It's their job, they're well paid for that.

Same applies to the UEFA cup, in which you have 3 Spanish teams.

I disagree lots of things of UEFA, I think their agenda is money, but I don't see reasons to think they'll try to force a final. I don't think they'll want the English teams out of the competitions neither, we all want english teams in our country, a Galatasaray, or an Austria de Viena, or a Gotteborg cannot crowd a 98000 capacity stadium, Liverpool FC or Manure can. That's money, that's show, that's what everybody in Europe wants to see.

i agree with you there... if both us and manure make it to the final then it'll be one hell of a spectacle to watch no matter which team you support. the great rivalry between us n them is known throughout europe so uefa should now be setting guidelines and putting a plan into place to help the final run smoothly. if they dont then who knows what'll happen...

if uefa pulls their fingers out then it'll make a great game to watch and there'll be a great atmoshere over there to be enjoyed by everyone.
CarlosRocks

Postby Ade » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:18 pm

Ade wrote:
Sabre wrote:I'd be ready to blame UEFA of a lot of things, especially filling their pockets with money.

But to be honest, back in year 2000 they didn't do much to avoid a Real Madrid - Valencia final, which is what happened. So I don't think they'll try to avoid any particular final this time neither, for the same reason.

About the security problem that may cause two rival crowds facing each other, what they have to do is move their árses, work hard, and avoid problems. It's their job, they're well paid for that.

Same applies to the UEFA cup, in which you have 3 Spanish teams.

I disagree lots of things of UEFA, I think their agenda is money, but I don't see reasons to think they'll try to force a final. I don't think they'll want the English teams out of the competitions neither, we all want english teams in our country, a Galatasaray, or an Austria de Viena, or a Gotteborg cannot crowd a 98000 capacity stadium, Liverpool FC or Manure can. That's money, that's show, that's what everybody in Europe wants to see.

I disagree Sabre. To be fair, the security concerns over a Valencia v Real Madrid final were minimal. Liverpool v Man Utd is a massive concern in two countries - from the airports in the northwest of England (scousers and mancs sharing flights to Athens?) to the inevitable tension inside and outside the ground.

As for Uefa having concerns over selling out a final without Man Utd - there are none. Gone are the days when only around 20,000 watched Liverpool beat Moenchengladbach in Rome in 77.

Milan to Athens isn't far and they will sell a fair number of tickets, especially if it's against us (revenge). Chelsea would descend en masse for their first ever European Cup final, and we will take the best part of 40,000 supporters.

The Mancs semi-final will be decided the night before ours. But i still think Peewee's on to something

Just checked my own stats there on the 77 final. On the dvd of the game  Gerald Sinstadt said there were 17,000 fans there. Wikipedia says 57000.

So scrub that line of the argument
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:19 pm

Don't know about a conspiracy as such PeeWee , but UEFA will breathe a huge sigh of relief if Man U don't make it, perhaps a latent vibration may transmit itself to the match officials for the game in Milan ?
, ask me after Milan with minutes to go are awarded a dubious penalty that wins the tie .
:D

Seriously though , since the end of the group stage I've fancied a Liverpool-Milan rematch in Athens . As others have said , despite their demolition of Roma , Man U face a far more dangerous and experienced opponent in AC Milan .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Anfield rapper » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:30 pm

I think you might be on to something Peewee. It all depends i think on the game at OT. If after the first game at OT Milan are out of it then theres no chance. But if Milan need one goal at the san siro it would be very easy for the ref to give them a dodgy pen. Like you say UEFA must be cacking themselves that it will be an all English final so maybe Platini will have a word in the refs shell like you never know. On the other hand if you really want a conspiracy theory maybe UEFA want English clubs banned. And maybe an all English final with maximum rioting would give them a good excuse.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:47 pm

The single point of security in an hypothetical Liverpool-Manchester final could give enough opinions to make a whole new thread.

I think that's understandable our concern, because Manure hate us, and we hate them.

But let's practise some empathy and let's put our brain in UEFA's view. Would it be so frightening such a final from their view? I think not, and if they think that final cannot be managed, then they should retire from the business of organising competitions.

Security-wise a World Cup is much more complicated for them (UEFA-FIFA whatever), the threat of terrorist attacks that seek maximum audience in a big event, several violent groups of several countries moving freely throught out a Country, Reportedly Nazi movements that were going to meet in Germany last summer, in a world cup there's LOTS of things to worry about.

Quite simply, they have to be able to manage a Liverpool-Manchester game, in a single city, during some days.

Sure, it must be analysed with the outmost care. Most of the violence that is caused in these events are provoked by people who trip WITHOUT a ticket to the game. Serious efforts would be required both by UEFA, Brittish Government, and Greek Government, and clubs. Serious planning aswell, and applying all that has been learnt since the eighties in security matter.

But it can be done, it can be managed. And if they can't manage, they should step aside and leave others make a better job.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:03 pm

I am not going to enjoy the Chelsea games - unless we are 4-0 up after 20 mins.

Do you guys ENJOY or ENDURE big games with loads at steak, I remember when Gudjohnson had that last minute chance two years ago to win the tie (on away goals) in the last minute and it just went wide. I nearly f*cking died, same with Schevchenko in last minute of final.

NOt good for the health, I'm going to start supporting ASton Villa - a team that just hang around and never do anyting, you dont' even notice they're there :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:17 pm

Big Niall wrote:I am not going to enjoy the Chelsea games - unless we are 4-0 up after 20 mins.

Do you guys ENJOY or ENDURE big games with loads at steak, I remember when Gudjohnson had that last minute chance two years ago to win the tie (on away goals) in the last minute and it just went wide. I nearly f*cking died, same with Schevchenko in last minute of final.

NOt good for the health, I'm going to start supporting ASton Villa - a team that just hang around and never do anyting, you dont' even notice they're there :D

i know what you mean, i'm not as bad as my Dad who if he's watching the game at home has to leave the room as he can't deal with the tension. (not that i live at home anymore)

It's a great game but it doesn't half make you sh.it your pants sometimes!!!  :D
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby Ade » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:20 pm

Big Niall wrote:I am not going to enjoy the Chelsea games - unless we are 4-0 up after 20 mins.

That Chelsea game was probably the most nerve-wracking i've ever seen. When that 6 minutes of extra-time was flashed up on the board i nearly collapsed.

But give me the choice between another night like that or a Uefa tie with Brondby and i know what i'd go for. Saying that, a CL final against the Mancs is not a night i would look forward to.

Come on Milan…
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red @ Heart » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:25 pm

Will you guys stop talking about tension and that, im sh1tting myself already lol,
"GERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD what a goal"
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu.Murph » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:54 pm

Peewee and conspiracy theories... :no
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:43 pm

one things for certain...

it makes an absolute mockery of Platini's proposals. 3 out of the last 3 CL finals have been populated by an English side. Possibly two in this case (god forbid).

Its the Italians that want sanctioning if anyone. (as if).

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Forever_Red » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:58 pm

I have to agree, or at least consider the possibility of what peewee has said there. Its been said on here a few times that we hate the mancs and they hate us, these fixtures are more important to both teams that their derby games. I dont believe that an all english final between us and the chavs would be quite as bad as the mancs v us or chelsea. I have thought quite a bit about whether UEFA will try to subtley get rid of united and if it does happen we'll never know but I don't doubt it that their fans will say there was a conspiracy for sure :p

I also agree with Sabre when he says that UEFA want the cash and what better way to make than an all english european cup final, however european cup finals would attract a large crowd from italy and england for sure.

There a strong argument on either side however I think all we can do is speculate on the subject and we wil never know the truth (if milan do win that is), UEFA officals can be stupid, look at sevillas pen against spurs.

I believe that Milan, being a more experienced side than man u and should beat them anyway, I quite fancy a re-match from 2005 :)
Reclaim The Kop

YNWA
Forever_Red

Postby bigmick » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:39 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:Peewee and conspiracy theories... :no

Not your finest contribution over the last few weeks that one Stu. I think you can do better.

On the subject of the conspiracy theory, it completely works for me. People who think that such things are nonsense have only to look at the draw for the World Cup Or Eurpean Championship every time, where the host nation gets a p!ss easy ride through to the pinnacle of their ability every time. South Korea got the Semi's FFS so don't talk to me about there being no such thing.

I absolutely think that the authorities wouldn't like to see an all English final. Don't be in the least bit surprised to see a dodgy penalty account for man U in the end. I remember saying the same thing two years ago when Mourinho's petulance caused one of the best referees in the World, Anders Frisk to recieve death threats from some moronic excuses for human beings and subsequently retire, that Fate/the powers that be would conspire to ensure Chelsea did NOT win the Chamopions League that term. Don't be surprised I said if a dodgy refereeing decision puts them out. Of course it didn't come to pass because Luis Garcia's shot was clearly over the line   :D , but even if it hadn't been my suspicion is that the ref would have looked after us so to speak. And if he hadn't, Milan would have mullered them in the final anyhow.

Anyways, Milan will account for man Utd by hook, or by crooked means. You mark my words.
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:56 pm

the game against Juventus away a few years ago was perfectly set up for a dubious decision, it never happened and Juve have since been dumped out of their own domestic seria a due to cheatin and payin off refs, I think this speaks volumnes for uefa, not so fifa as big mick brought to our attention.

post scipt
both Liverpool & man u are owned by the yanks, the richest market on the planet, the football powers have tried for quite some time to sell the game over there and what better way to shoe horn the game into to american pyschy than to allow the greatest football spectical on earth to take place this very year with this once in a lifetime opportunity. Get a grip.
Last edited by neil on Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion