Looking back now - Thank god we didn't get mourihno

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:04 pm

On this forum over the summer Rafael Benitez was not many people's first choice to succeed Gérard Houllier; I have to admit that there was a time when I agreed with many others on here and would have plumped for Jose Mourinho.

All I can say now is thank f#ck we didn’t get a vote.

Waving the Russian’s exceptionally attractive chequebook about, he proceeded to turn Euro2004 into the Chelsea trials.

What a whingeing graceless conceited man he comes across as since coming over here. Everything is someone else’s fault. His squad are never lucky, never in the wrong (a la the Kezman pre-season sending off). Then on Saturday, he moans like hell about the Robbie Savage elbow, choosing to ignore the punch thrown first.

He spends zillions on a team that are far from convincing and not very entertaining. He appears to want to buy the title with dour 1-0 performances and flukey wins. He has a very defensive approach despite having bought what he thinks are the cream of Europe.

He moans away like a good’un because some players don’t want to join him to sit in the reserves for most of the season. He appears to be doing his best to demotivate some of his own players, for example Duff.

The press have always favoured Chelsea (and their King's Road swagger) above the far more successful Arsenal, pitching them as the South’s answer to the “glamorous” Man Utd.

Look into their history and you’ll learn that they’ve always been a glamorous “team of all-stars” … my backside! They had one flukey championship with an average side in the mid 50s and one decent side in the late sixties.

So for the time being, the southern press are still in love with “one-nil” Mo. But give them time …

Contrast this with Rafa.

A bit faltering in his use of English in the first press conference, I liked what I saw but wasn’t convinced by his PR “presence”.

Some sections of the press have had a go at him over his English; then I got to think about Uncle Bob Paisley. If you were judged by eloquence, Bob wouldn’t even get on a shortlist these days

Then there’s Rafa’s buys. Despite having little ready cash in the bank, Parry and Moores have given him the money he needs for his well considered purchases. The southern press are dismissing most of them because they’re not household name megastars.

Hmmm reminds me of the buys Shanks and Paisley used to go in for players like Kevin Keegan, Emlyn Hughes and Ian St John. Players about to make their mark rather than baggage carrying prima donnas. I’ve never heard Bobby Robson rave about any no-mark players but he’s raving about these cheap imports of ours. I trust his judgement.

The early results may be slightly disappointing in some ways; but when we've played well, we've been exciting and I can see a very entertaining side starting to develop; One that will dominate matches and win trophies

Rafa’s press conferences are getting better almost daily; Anfield is buzzing again. His demeanour on the touchline is superb, knowing what he wants and issuing instructions throughout the match.

The uncommitted are being remotivated or shipped out as befits their arrogance.

I think we are about to see that we don’t need the Thai money; we don’t need the Scouser who’s so committed to the cause that he’s become a Channel Islander.

We need what we’ve got; a real man motivator; a determined stickler for detail; a man as equally excited at what he might achieve as we are; a man with a lot of similarities to the greatest OOTer of them all; a Spanish-flavoured Shankly.

Thank god we didn’t get Maureen.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jymbojetset » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:06 pm

Well said St Mike.
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:10 pm

stmichael wrote:He spends zillions on a team that are far from convincing and not very entertaining. He appears to want to buy the title with dour 1-0 performances and flukey wins. He has a very defensive approach despite having bought what he thinks are the cream of Europe.

agree with most o what you are saying st mick, and in hindsight i am happy we got Beni over mourinho (although he was my favourite to take the job when it was made vacant.)

However, I would be happy if we won the league with 1-0 wins all the time, not saying Chelsea will, but if we won the league I wouldn't be overly fussed how we did it.

not sure if he has a defensive approach, or chelsea are still moulding as a team, after all Porto played attractive football, although admittedly it was defensive at times, playing on the counter attack, but there is nothing wrong with that if it is your strength.

Hopefully Chelsea faulter this season and we will be hunting down the gooners for the title.   :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:14 pm

that's my point. i couldn't give a monkeys if we won every game 1-0 playing dour football. winning is winning after all. i just think chelsea deserve more entertainment for the £200m they've spent or whatever it is. if he lets duff go he is even more arrogant and stupid than i thought.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:14 pm

I also heard him say england ha what have u ever won nothing apart from man u 1999 CL we were champions of euroupe once but he probably doesnt know who we are he will probably refer to us as oh them in the red shirts cause he didnt bloody know who savage was the tall blonde with long hair wtf?
Doesnt he prepare for his games before hand to know what the oppostion are like and players are playing for them?
F#ckin idiot muppet :angry:
Last edited by Ciggy on Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:14 pm

In the words of my own coach
"Supuerb!"
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby banana » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:16 pm

We are on the right path finally. After wandering in the dark for ohhh so long. We almost lost it all. The reputation, the money, our best players. But the fool is gone and now we are ready. Step aside Scum, beware Arsenal we're gonne give you a sound beating.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:20 pm

hes had a fight with duff and duff is for sale cause he said robben is going to be first choice, i know they have only played 2-3 games what ever but isnt frankie lampard lookin abit out of sorts maybe hes not gettin along with him either and i dont think gerrard would have liked him either good on ya kiddo for stayin with us :love:  :love:
Last edited by Ciggy on Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:23 pm

robben is not fit to clean duff's boots. any moron can see that. also, how the hell can he pay 13m for paulo ferreira? he's pants. josemi is far better and cost 2m. we also signed cisse and alonso for a combined 24m. they pay 36m for drogba and some guy called tiago. who's got the better business sense. i don't think you need to ask.

hail rafa! ole! :D
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby madred » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:25 pm

Good post St Mike. I have said it before about Mourihno that he was extremely lucky with winning the CL when they got through against the mancs when they should have been knocked out. Would he have been appointed Chelsea's manager then? This guy will challenge Arsenal all the way for the title but i dont believe he has what it takes to win it. Im counting the days till i see the board meeting at the bridge announcing his departure. I will laugh my a**e off. Over hyped (even by himself) and that will be his downfall sooner rather than later.
Last edited by madred on Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:51 pm

He does seem rather over confident for someone with a solitary CL success to his name.Im far from convinced with his buys either (13million for a Portugese full back?).Chelsea know the price of everything but the value of nothing.They`re a pretty pathetic club.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:55 pm

To tell you the truth I was desperate for him to come here.  I thought 'he's the one to do it' but after he said 'Chelsea is a great team with very special players and a very special manager...' I just want to see him fail abysmally.  Imagine if Chelsea got relegated  :laugh:
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:37 pm

Imagine when they win f#ck all again this season rainiri will be laughin his a@#s off aswell :D God i hope they come 3rd and us 2nd :;):

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:42 pm

I was the same as most and wanted him here. Looking at the way he has gone about his business at chelski I honestly believe he is out of his depth in the PL. He (and Kenyon) are very naive when it comes to throwing money around paying over the odds for players. He did a good job at Porto with no money winning the CL but now hes got pots available hes like a kid with a new toy. I dont dislike mourihno's arrogance and bravado cause its quite funny and the game does need characters in it (remember cloughie) but I am dying to see his reaction when they win jack sh1t :D  :D
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:50 pm

however whatever you say against the guy, that celebratory run down the old trafford touch line after porto equalised to dump manure out was pure television gold! :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion