LIVERPOOL VS WEST BROM - Saturday 17.30pm ko

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:28 am

Igor Zidane wrote:
s@int wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:I've got to say that this season when we have played Gerrard in centre mid i much rather have Alonso next to him as they dominated the midfield better and Alonso's distribution is alot better than mascherano's . Also Gerrard doesn't defend as much when playing with mascherano and leaves alot of the donkey work to him . When Gerrard plays with Alonso he gets up and down alot more and does his fair share of defensive duties aswell . Another one for rafa to sort out .

Can't say I agree with you mate. Whether Gerrard plays with Alonso or Masch that is just how I want him to play. I thought he had a cracking game today, positive in everything he did, getting the ball early and playing the ball FORWARD, with innumerable through balls that could have led to 5 or 6 goals.

When you are playing against teams  and you have no height up front it was the perfect way to get the ball to Keane and Kuyt. I know Keane will get m.o.t.m. for his goals, but in truth Gerrard was my m.o.t.m. I thought he was outstanding today.

That's fair enough saint ,but one thing we will agree on is that whomever plays alongside him ,he has to play centre midfield.

Can't say I totally agree with that either Igor ..... sorry mate  :D

I prefer Gerrard in CM, and in my opinion that's his best position, but I like him playing AM as well mate, I just don't like him playing second striker when we have someone better for the job. (Hopefully Keane!)

I think when he passes as aggressively as he did yesterday he brings so much more into our game and really gives the forwards the chance to come into the game. I just wish he got that kind of space every week.
account deleted by request

Postby maguskwt » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:58 am

Yes, very satsified with Keane's peformance today. Not only because he scored but because of how he took his chances. These kinda finishes show his true talents. If Kuyt was given the exact same chances you wouldn't bet your house that he would've scored and I'm one of the Kuyt supporters on here. It just shows you how much more Keane can give in this department compared to Dirk. And credit must also go to Gerrard... he pushed up and provided great service to our strikers. Keane and Kuyt was having some problems breaking their defence before stevie stepped up. Riera didn't play that well compared to his other games IMO. Arbeloa and Benayoun played very well though. All in all a good performance.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:14 am

Owzat wrote:Played WBA six times in the Premiership, won all six and scored 19 goals. I think we can probably write off our title chances if we don't win this one like we ballsed up bigtime against Stoke.

Keane to bag a brace and look every bit the striker Bellamy was for us :D

:D Can't get any better a prediction than that.

By the way, just a few recent Liverpool strikers scored braces in their 19th game :

Game 19 for Liverpool (scoring record at that stage in brackets)

Morientes - scored twice (5 goals in 19 games)
Bellamy - scored twice (4 goals in 19 games)
Keane - scored twice (4 goals in 19 games)
Crouch - 'scored' twice (2 goals in 19 games)

Owen - scored a hat-trick (8 goals in 19 games)
Torres - scored once (12 goals in 19 games)
Fowler (2nd spell) - scored once (7 goals in 19 games)

Camara - didn't score (7 goals in 19 games)
Baros - didn't score (6 goals in 19 games)
Kuyt - didn't score (5 goals in 19 games)
Voronin - didn't score (4 goals in 19 games)
Heskey - didn't score (4 goals in 19 games)
Cisse - didn't score (3 goals in 19 games)
Pongolle - didn't score (2 goals in 19 games)

Interesting that FOUR recent Liverpool strikers should score braces in their 19th game for Liverpool and that it should also be four goals after 19 games for FOUR recent strikers, of whom one was sold after one season and another loaned out after one season. Morientes and Fowler didn't get long either

Anyone see the Football Focus piece on how many goals the 'big four' have conceded from set-pieces? Chelsea 1, Liverpool 2, Man Utd 3, Arsenal 5 - of course that after they were blaming the lack of Flamini for Arsenal's problems, not that it's the DM's fault from set-pieces - doh
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:23 am

s@int wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:top of the table again. :)

Ah yes your right. Forgot they dont play till tomorrow haha.

They HAVE to win though Bav, it does make a difference mate. I am hoping for a 0-0 or a sneaky 1-0 to Blackburn. The mancs are only a couple of bad results away from being out of it by Christmas too.

Fingers crossed for rovers to knock Chelsea back, not been a good week for the 'big four'

'Big Four' - last five results in all competitions (reverse order)

Liverpool - WDLWW = P5 W3 D1 L1
Chelsea - LWWLW = P5 W3 D0 L2
Man Utd - LDWWD = P5 W2 D2 L1
Arsenal - WDLDW = P5 W2 D2 L1

Even if Chelsea win today, we're still in the pick of the form of the 'Big Four' as that would displace their win at the start of the run of five games ie WLWWL instead of LWWLW, which ironically is the reverse order

The mancs will have the disruption we had back in 05/06 with the Club World Championship to fly out to Japan for. Hopefully that may result in injuries, fatigue and lots of fixture congestion
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:39 am

As for the West Brom game. Nice to see sides be positive in coming to Anfield, I think their defence was very slack for the first two goals with non-existent marking gifting Keane enough space to be effective. Their was enough space between their CBs to drive a few tanks, well taken goals by Keane and the second was surprisingly accurate given his form, the angle and it was on the left side. Keane could and maybe should have had a hat-trick, Rafa made sure his record stayed the same as Bellamy's by subbing him. WBA posed little serious threat, I think they could go down if they don't find a striker to replace Phillips in January (38 league goals in 71 league appearances for WBA) Don't know why we needed Mascherano for this (home) game, I thought maybe Alonso could have dealt with any threat the buggies posed. All in all they made us look good, maintaining our only 100% record in the Premiership (P7 W7 vs WBA) - unless we can do the double over Hull.

That was our best result of the season, eclipsing the 3-1 against PSV. The major difference between this season and last is that we've not been drawing too many games, if we can pick up scoring form and maybe a striker in January then we've a shot at the title.

07/08 : P12 W6 D6 L0 F19 A6 PTS 24
08/09 : P12 W9 D2 L1 F19 A8 PTS 29

Our current start is the second best, one point behind 02/03. However if we win away to Bolton then we would be on 32 points which would be one more point than we had after 18 games in 02/03 ie we fell apart back then with a run of one draw and five defeats in the next six games (four were away games, lost to Middlesboro, Fulham, Charlton and Sunderland)

Most points we've ever had in the Premiership by the halfway mark is 41, we need a mere 12 points from seven games to best that. If we don't then call Rafa 'Santa' and give him the sack Christmas Eve. Just kidding - we don't play the 19th game until Boxing Day :D
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:30 pm

Good game. Delighted for Robbie.

In fact, I was amazed that Rafa took him off. Personally, I would have taken Kuyt off (who IMO didn't do much) and brought of Fernando for him. Robbie was firing on all cylinders and looked as if he could have got another one.

Overall a pleasing night and a good platform for winng the next few games, which Liverpool will need to do.
tonyeh

Postby puroresu » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:43 pm

Good result. Got a nice run of games coming up.  Am glad Keane got 2 goals and he played well.  I have been a critic but yesterday he took his goals really well.
puroresu

Postby The_Rock » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:44 am

SupitsJonF wrote:
The_Rock wrote:Whoa....awesome...

Tell it to someone who cares....  :talktothehand

And this was needed for what?  If your that desperate for attention why don't you try posting something about football that isn't nonsense for once, then maybe people might reply!   :oh:

Whoa.....Awesome.

Tell it to someone who cares  :talktothehand  ....  :talktothehand
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:45 am

SupitsJonF wrote:Anyone notice when that Madmax isn't around we are back to our winning ways?  And with a overall good performance, especially Keanes goals!

Whoa......I vote this for footie post of the year......

(SARCASM FULLY INTENDED).
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:04 am

lol oi what your mouth.. why you calling me bad luck you clown. I went to the match by the way at anfield. im not a bad luck charm. HA :p
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:10 am

Madmax wrote:lol oi what your mouth.. why you calling me bad luck you clown. I went to the match by the way at anfield. im not a bad luck charm. HA :p

Rock whats up your as.s?

Madmax, its just a joke  :D
SupitsJonF

Postby Owzat » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:57 am

tonyeh wrote:Good game. Delighted for Robbie.

In fact, I was amazed that Rafa took him off. Personally, I would have taken Kuyt off (who IMO didn't do much) and brought of Fernando for him. Robbie was firing on all cylinders and looked as if he could have got another one.

Overall a pleasing night and a good platform for winng the next few games, which Liverpool will need to do.

"Asked why he substituted Keane with 20 minutes to go when a hat-trick was on the cards, Benitez replied: "I wanted to win and I knew we needed the pace of Fernando up front. I wanted to control the game and score the third goal."

The cameo appearance was Torres' first since Man City away on October 5.

"Fernando does not have his match fitness yet but he has pace and he's always a threat to defenders," added the boss."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N162021081108-2003.htm

Both Keane and Kuyt have played a lot of games and minutes this season, Keane probably needs to be kept fresher given that is more of his game and Kuyt is like the energiser bunny. I'm more surprised that N'Gog didn't even make the bench again, our striking options are limited and N'Gog looked badly in need of time on the pitch. We've seven subs and Rafa isn't giving the players we may need in the future any time on the pitch. What we got was N'Gog against Atletico Madrid, we'll probably get that next time he's called upon
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:14 am

The_Rock wrote:Think our awful start to november will continue.....a 1-1 draw for me......

for once its nice to be wrong mate
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:18 am

"Asked why he substituted Keane with 20 minutes to go when a hat-trick was on the cards, Benitez replied: "I wanted to win and I knew we needed the pace of Fernando up front. I wanted to control the game and score the third goal."

Sounds like horsesh!t to me, to be honest. If anyone was going to get a third (or forth :) ), it looked like Robbie. He seemed like a new man the other night. It just cannot be good for him to be taken off the pitch each match, even when he's on fire. WBA's, defence was wide open and I saw a hat-trick in the making.

If I was Robbie Keane, I certainly wouldn't be very happy about it.

As for N'gog, I agree. The lad needs pitch time. Maybe the cup game will see him get on the field for a bit.
tonyeh

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:06 pm

The_Rock wrote:
SupitsJonF wrote:Anyone notice when that Madmax isn't around we are back to our winning ways?  And with a overall good performance, especially Keanes goals!

Whoa......I vote this for footie post of the year......

(SARCASM FULLY INTENDED).

:sleep
maypaxvobiscum

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion