LIVERPOOL VS TOTTENHAM - all the build up here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 82-1074641017 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:05 pm

3-0 was a good result. Glad that Kuyt scored again, he looks like hes going to be a key player for us.
Riises goal was a screamer, hopefully now we have gotten over our blip and we can get a good run together
82-1074641017

Postby lfc_amy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:09 pm

lfc_amy

Postby Sabre » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:04 pm

I've forgotten to mention, I love Andy Gray.

You know which are our best players because he says stupid things about them. Xabi's passing is off, Rafa have doubts, what a cúnt.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:42 pm

zarababe wrote:I said 3-0 against the Barcodes, and we almost did it .. ummm I'll go 3-0 again to the might reds.. can't say who'll score though :D

:nod
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:12 pm

Firstly, this was a great result.  I felt we really dug this one out after not playing so well initially.

In the 1st half, Spurs were very sharp.  They played the ball well on the deck and their movement was excellent in the middle third.  They seem to win all the 2nd balls and generally looked hungry.  They switched the play well but never really stretched us.  However once they got into the final third their good football generally petered out. 

In contrast, I felt, we were very sloppy in the 1st half which allowed Spurs to get on top.  Most of our players showed poor touches and made very fundamental mistakes when in possession.  There was no urgency when in possession therefore Spurs were able to close us down and get possession back.  However we did work hard despite the lack of quality.

We were a different side in the 2nd half.  Alonso was more involved and we managed to push Spurs back.  Throughout, I felt, Dawson & King had good games; very commanding in the air and good positional sense.  With us forcing Spurs backwards the two centre halves were put under increasing pressure until we scored.

Overall I think we can look at this as a very good result because I do not think we were at our best for much of the 1st half. Normally you get punished for poor play but with King failing to make it count we were allowed back into the game in the 2nd half.

On individual performances I would say Reina deserves credit for his contribution.  I thought Gerrard played well in the 2nd half when, he finally decided, to have a go at the suspect Spurs left back.  Gonzalez is a genuine goal threat from left wing which is an added bonus.

Just a few observations, from today's game, that I made, below.

For the first time in a Premiership match I thought Agger really did struggle.  He found it difficult to deal with the long balls.  Despite winning the balls in the air he did not get any great distance on the clearances and subsequently Spurs were picking up 2nd balls not far from our goal.  He needs to get distance on the headed clearances ala Hyypia.  I guess this is all part of his education in the Premiership.

Kuyt was nowhere near his best but managed to score which is the mark of a very good striker. 

Spurs seemed very concerned with Alonso therefore Sissoko saw a lot of the ball and I do not think he used it very well.  When Alonso is targeted like that then Sissoko needs to become more decisive with his passing.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Effes » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:43 pm

I thought it was more a case of Spurs losing their discipline in the 2nd half.

They were leaving large gaps in the middle and weren't tracking back at all which
gave us a lot of chances on the counter.

I though Agger had a very composed match, he's not afraid to dribble it out of defence either.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:09 pm

The problem with Tottenham that they went into this game with no confidence at all! It showed alot in the game, with the missed chanced and the sitter that Jenas missed. Kuyt scored a really good goal and Riise what a screamer!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion