LIVERPOOL VS TOTTENHAM - all the build up here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kunilson » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:29 pm

yeah garcia was impressive....i thought the team played well for 45 minutes, not our best but the last two results make up for that terrible week before....hopefully we can go from strength to strength..
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby alessandromagno » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:38 pm

Let's hope this is the beginning of a long run. Kuyt is going to score lots of goals--but Bellamy may soon be given a break (what a miss today and if not for Gonzalez being there, it might have been crucial).
ALESSANDRO
alessandromagno
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:40 pm

Couldn't watch the game today (work commitments), anyway, fantastic result for us. Great goal by JAR, lets keep this momentum going.

Come on Liverpool FC  :;):

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby anti-hero » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:02 pm

Agger was amazing.

I knew he was a defender, but he looked liked a midfielder. Ya'know? :D

Amazing composure when he's on the ball.. a player for the future indeed.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:19 pm

I thought today was by far our best result of the sesaon..really enjoyed the game!

Im delighted with the result and yeah 3-0 was great.What im happier with was the way we fought for the ball for 90 mins from start to finish.Our players never stood off,never gave up on any ball,it was great!!

So happy!
As for team selection..Carra on the bench was a bit of a shock,but then again that was only a bad decision if we got beaten.Hyypia at times to me showed a bit that fast players are becoming a bit too much for him..but i wont disrespect an amazing pro any more than that!He done OK!
Finnan played well and it was great to see him getting forward,needs to work on the final ball a bit more.Agger looks great although got caught out once...he will get better with age!
Maybe i just want perfection...

Riise played well did'nt really do much though apart from score a great goal:D

Gerrard was as ever the gearbox of the team (i love watching him give boll.ockings for bad balls)
Skinning a good defender like that is pretty cool too.

As for Kuyt..looks great,what a bang he hit that ball and no he wasnt offside!

Gerrard was on his knees as well!

:censored: great!!

3-0 LFC :buttrock  :bowdown

YNWA
66-1120597113

Postby bigxchris » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:22 pm

Just got back from the game, and a few drinks in london on the way home.  Good game, slightly dissapointed that we couldnt make anything of our chances in the first half but we kept plugging away and didnt revert to a long ball game.

Not a bad result atall!
"Holy crip, he's a crapple"
bigxchris

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:47 pm

First half Spurs played well and we were a bit lacklustre, passing not right and some of the players touches weren't up to the usual standard. Still that half was pretty even.
Onto the second half and things were much better, we raised the tempo and Stevie Gerrard was fantastic, we often talk about Alonso's ability of dictating the pace of a game, well our skipper today showed how you change the tempo of the game, his direct running and crossing was fantastic and the Spurs left back couldnt cope.
Bellamy's goal will come, he worked hard and should of buried the one he put against the post, but the shot with his left foot accross the goal in the first half was a good effort (the one robinson saved) and what i was happiest with was his reaction to being taken off...he clapped the crowd shook Garcia's hand and there was no sign of petulance, really happy with him so far.
Gonzalez today played well, he obviously isn't blessed with loads of skills but he is really direct, crosses the ball well and gets himself in the right positions to score goals (Pennant take note)
This was a fine win, and especially as Spurs looked comfortable at times, Dawson and King are one of the best pairings in the Premiership imo, and in the end we won 3-0, cany complain about that.
Dirk's finish was fantastic, the first touch that took him through sublime, then a blistering strike, there was times in the match that his distribution wasn't as good as it has been but the lad guarantees goals.
I am made up today, Spurs are one of the better sides in this league despite there poor start.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:56 pm

Fantastic goals by both Kuyt and Riise. Kuyt's first touch was sublime in giving himself the space and opportunity to score that goal.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:24 am

A few days ago, Manhattan confidently predicted that Liverpool would defeat Tottingham Lightflash or whatever they are called, because he used his awesome research abilities to discover that Tooting Hotsperm hadn't beaten Liverpool at Anfield for 840 years or something.

Anyway overall I thought it was a very good performance. We rode our luck a few times when they had a few chances. Not sure how Jenas and Bellamy missed those point blank shots. Bellamy needs to be patience. The goals will come eventually and he's playing well, causing trouble for the opposition.

Kuyt is also very impressive. Almost as impressive as the amount of time it took me to learn how to pronounce his surname properly. His goal was excellent. Good to see Speedy get a goal too. He reminds me of Cristiano Ronaldo, only less greasy, less effeminate and less acne.

Riise's goal was awesome. Like an Exocet missile, or to be more precise, like HMS Conquerer's torpedoes slamming into ARA General Belgrano. Goalkeeper's shouldn't even bother trying to save Riise's shots, because even if you catch one, the force of the ball will either propel you into the goal while holding the ball, or will be powerful enough to blow your skeleton out of your body.

Sissoko was again excellent at breaking up their attacks. He's like a giant squid. Wherever an opposing player is on the pitch against Liverpool, you can be sure that at least one of Sissoko's legs will be reaching for the ball, even if he's eight-hundred miles away training for a Mali international. The only weakness in his game is his passing. He needs to take more care, improve his accuracy and be less casual.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Festy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:00 am

Now I think I (we) can read Rafa's mysterious tactics to some extent. :p
He's slowly but surely settling our team this season. The message is simple and straight forward- If you play well, you'll be in first team every match. Look at Agger, Kuyt, Bellamy for evidence. They are constantly performing well and getting into starting 11 every match.

Moral of the story is-'Don't get worried with lots of chopping and changing lads.'. :D
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:15 am

A good performance today, I have to be honest after watching the first half I couldnt really see where the goals were going to come from. Credit to Tottenham for this, they played with eleven men behind the ball and frustrated us and were vey organised defensively. There was no tempo to the game and thats why it took all of 44 minutes to get a shot on target and make there keeper work.

The second half was great ! For the first 15-20 minutes we had Spurs right where we wanted them, on the back foot. The tempo was raised and we looked like the only team that was going to register a goal, the players helped the crowd as they to made some noise and I felt a goal was on the cards. :)  We maybe were a bit fortunate with Jenas's miss, but we made them pay straight away for it. I hope Bellamy's goal will come sooner rather than later he's working for it, but I dont want to see him snatching at chances in desperation for his first goal. Kuyts was well taking to, a lovely drag around to the front of his body and shot on the turn good technique there. Same for Riise a cracking goal capped an excellent second half performance.

A note on Gerrard : He roams a fair bit and comes inside to look for the ball and to make something happen. I think he shouldnt that as much as he does, because we loose our width and outlet when he's out of position. Whether its going forward or defending, Finnan doesnt have anything in front of him and either looks for a longer ball or plays it square, halting another option and an attack. Sissoko does  cover for him defensively too but its something I've noticed in this game and the Newcastle one. Unless of course when Gerrard goes looking  to get himself in the game, Finnan could push right up to give us the width we need and the back four can shuffle accross a bit and become a three.
66-1112520797

Postby Festy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:43 am

I've noticed one thing that for some reason we always sleep in the 1st half and wake up in the 2nd half. :p
1. yesterday's match.
2. CL final at Istanbul.
3. 3-1 win over Olympiakos in the CL.
4. FA cup final against westham.
5. blah..blah..
6. blah...blah...... :D
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:55 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:or will be powerful enough to blow your skeleton out of your body.

:D
112-1077774096

Postby lfc_amy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:59 am

macth complition and highlights http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeVO_S21wMg
lfc_amy

Postby Sabre » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:05 pm

I have pretty same the same diagnostic of some of our posters here.

First half

I agree Bamaga-man, the defensive display of Tottenham in the first half, pressing always in their own side, was typical of a relegation candidate team, and shows the respect that many teams will have when they come to Anfield. We played reanonably well though, with few mistakes.

It's remarkable our pressure, Tottenham had real troubles to keep the possesion, Rafa's shouts of "Fuera, Fuera" (out!! out!!, to ask the line of defence to advance whenever Tottenham sent back a ball, could be heard) and also the "Sigue, Sigue" to Gonzalez to insist on his pressure. We did a pretty good defensive job. There were the normal chanced in this kind of games, a good opportunity of Bellamy (well shot) assisted by Gonzalez, and some other few chances. I don't think it was a bad half for us, just a bit "frustrating" because we were chasing down our prey and sometimes that takes time

I saw real good stuff from Xabi, I loved it when he had a shooting chance yet he decided to pass the ball to the right to Gerrard in an excellent pass, that kind of patience was seen often in the first half, I missed it in the past, and I liked it.

As Bad Bob pointed out, Agger helped with his conduction of the ball to unstuck the situation. Alonso covered his back when he decided to do this. He went too far sometimes though, he even reached the LW position once :D

[/quote]

Second Half

We did a couple of mistakes in the second half, like the bad header of Finnan or bad reception of Sissoko (not sure) that provoked a counterattack well driven by Davids, and that Jenas failed to score. Sissoko made some mistakes in the second half, didn't like him yesterday. Finnan didn't have his best performance neither, there was another play I cannot remember right now that caused us trouble in the second half, due to a mistake of Finnan.

But overall, the game was controled, just as it was controlled the Everton day, only that Neverton did score, and Tottenham didn't. And then our goal reached. Happy for Gonzo, he has that awareness, he scored a very similar goal yesteryear for RS. As you can see he doesn't cross very well when he's running, but it's normal, it's difficult to cross well at that pace. When the ball is dead though, he has a good touch, and his corners were good despite most of them were a bit "closed" (near the small area, should have made different corners).

And the game was over then, because they advanced their defence and the pressure line. And it happened what it had to happen, the second and third goal. Luis Garcia sent yet another goal pass, Kuyt made an excellent control and a great goal. Riise's shot was great, and if the game had 20 minutes more, more goals would have come.

Very solid display, I'm happy. We are making less errors, and we're improving. The future is bright, the future is red.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion