LIVERPOOL VS STOKE CITY - Build up

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ben1988 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:15 pm

sorry, im just bored at work and want to reply to everything!
Ben1988

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:15 pm

taff wrote:Same with SG, if he is up for it then start him in midfield but its nice to have the option of a rest with Alonso and Mash fit and ready, the same duo who bossed Man Utd before the gasps about resting SG turns into a heated debate

Personally, I'd rest Mascherano.

We don't need a defensive midfielder at home against Stoke when we're going to have the majority of possession.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Alonso14 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:40 pm

I hope rafa's done the homework on that :censored: long throw they have!
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:45 pm

Christ on a bike, I've never heard so much hype about a long throw! :D  I wonder if other teams used to worry about this when we still had Riise? ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:53 pm

yeah whats up with these long throws? ???

and im surprised people are going for a comfy win for us like 3-0 or 4-0 whatever....
dont jinx it. this is a game where we might be brought back down to earth.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Zidane » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:12 pm

The team needs to play with a sense of urgency rafa can't play this safe and rest people play the best 11 possible.  Riera needs as many games as possible I understand he isn't fit but he needs to be a regular on the starting 11. 

We need to win this one!  Don't care if it's ugly or pretty but we need those 3 points from games that we should be winning.  I think 2-1 or 2-0 us goals from Keane and someone random.  Really think Keane is gonna score one this game hopefully happens for him you know he wants nothing more than to put one in the net and once he does I think we'll see more quality from him.
Last edited by Zidane on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zidane

Postby Fo Dne » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:15 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Christ on a bike, I've never heard so much hype about a long throw! :D  I wonder if other teams used to worry about this when we still had Riise? ???

Delap's a different kettle of fish mate.

He scored off a throw in the other day against Everton don't forget. His throw-ins really are as good as corner, if not better.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:18 pm

i've mentioned it a couple of times bob. there's the long throw and there's the rory delap long throw. the significant factor is that the ball will be flying towards our box on a regular basis, from areas you wouldn't normally expect it to, and we need to make sure we can win the resulting aerial battle.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:27 pm

andy_g wrote:i've mentioned it a couple of times bob. there's the long throw and there's the rory delap long throw. the significant factor is that the ball will be flying towards our box on a regular basis, from areas you wouldn't normally expect it to, and we need to make sure we can win the resulting aerial battle.

well if dossena starts (id personally only start him if Aurelio is still injured) then im sure someones going to have to have a word with him about all his funny clearances.. cant afford to give away too many throw ins deep in our own half...

Anyways not that worried about this game we should win it with little trouble and quite a few goals ..
keep it on the floor and quite simple and i reckon they'll struggle to hold us back ..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:31 pm

Stoke got two goals from Delap's throw in last week against everton, its one of their threats
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:37 pm

Judge wrote:
john craig wrote:Predicting the exact formation and lineup is futile with Benitez in charge, so I'm not bothering.

Things we should do:

- Play Torres from the start - looked very rusty against Marseille and needs games and goals.

- Play Keane from the start, starting him on bench given that he hasn't scored yet may harm his confidence, and I fancy him to score in this one.

- Play Riera from the start, again, the guy needs games and has looked good so far.

- After that I'm not overly bothered except that I don't want Lucas or Aurelio in the team because I don't rate either of them.

torres didnt look rusty at all

in fact he was lightening in the way he stole the ball on half way against marseille which led to our goal

plus his defensive attributes from marseille set pieces were very good and sharp also.
i counted 3 significant headers from danger in our penalty area

what game were you watching?

What game was I watching? :laugh:

You think he's match sharp because he once dispossessed one of their players and won 3 defensive headers?

His touch was sh.ite, which is to be expected when you're not at full fitness.  FFS it's obvious, the one time he managed to get in behind their defence his bad touch let the defender get back and clear it.

Stick to the jokes mate :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:41 pm

I predict a match to forget whilst grinding out a 2-0 win.   Please.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:42 pm

john craig wrote:
Judge wrote:
john craig wrote:Predicting the exact formation and lineup is futile with Benitez in charge, so I'm not bothering.

Things we should do:

- Play Torres from the start - looked very rusty against Marseille and needs games and goals.

- Play Keane from the start, starting him on bench given that he hasn't scored yet may harm his confidence, and I fancy him to score in this one.

- Play Riera from the start, again, the guy needs games and has looked good so far.

- After that I'm not overly bothered except that I don't want Lucas or Aurelio in the team because I don't rate either of them.

torres didnt look rusty at all

in fact he was lightening in the way he stole the ball on half way against marseille which led to our goal

plus his defensive attributes from marseille set pieces were very good and sharp also.
i counted 3 significant headers from danger in our penalty area

what game were you watching?

What game was I watching? :laugh:

You think he's match sharp because he once dispossessed one of their players and won 3 defensive headers?

His touch was sh.ite, which is to be expected when you're not at full fitness.  FFS it's obvious, the one time he managed to get in behind their defence his bad touch let the defender get back and clear it.

Stick to the jokes mate :laugh:

He was very rusty, he has been since the euro's but he's still a class player.

That class shown in the way he won a ball which he had no right to win and effectively started the move which brought Gerrard's first goals, class players do things like that even when playing badly. :)
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:48 pm

Fo Dne wrote:He was very rusty, he has been since the euro's but he's still a class player.

That class shown in the way he won a ball which he had no right to win and effectively started the move which brought Gerrard's first goals, class players do things like that even when playing badly. :)

True.

Gerrard wasn't exactly sharp either imo.  Didn't do an awful lot else in the game but scored two goals, one of them unbelievable.  Looked like he was lacking a yard of pace and looked heavy legged in the second half.

But as you say, that's what guys like Torres and Gerrard can do when their either off their game or not properly fit.

That midweek game will have helped them no end and I expect them both to be even better against Stoke this week.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:48 pm

Alright, alright...it's something to be wary of by the sound of things--just struck me as funny, is all.  Had visions of the following Premier league 'danger man' checklist:

1) Beware Ronaldo's free kicks
     2) Beware Cesc's through ball
     3) Beware Drogba's power
     4) Beware Gerrard's strikes from distance
     5) Beware Rory Delap's long throw :oh:
     6) Beware Berbatov's touch
     7) Beware Torres' pace

:D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion