LIVERPOOL VS STANDARD LIEGE - Champions league qualifier - 2nd leg

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dalglish » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:13 am

I think if Rafa was forced to withdraw him from the England game then he would have had to go public on the impending operation and didn't want to give anything away with a CL Qualifier in the balance ........... I think the rules on withdrawing players from international duty has been tightened up and fuller explanations have to be given plus International Team Dr's would  have access to medical files and stuff making it difficult to keep information about a players fitness (or lack of it) out of the public domain.

Just a thought :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:15 am

I'll give you that the worse minutes of Alonso were before the subs and the best after the subs, and I might have not considered that.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:16 am

What a nail-biting game..  If you take out the last 10 minutes of each game this season we might not be in the CL and we would have 1 point out of 6.  We have been playing awful and still we have managed to get the right results.  I was late into uni today to watch the extra time and im writing this in a law tute.  I should probably concentrate but I am just so pumped after that game....
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:20 am

Note to the mods: you can still read 0-0 in the thread name, and that might cause heart attacks to the red workers that reach home and want to know the result  :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:34 am

Fo Dne wrote:7 - Reina - Some good saves.

5 - Arbeloa - Poor passing, poor movement but wasn't troubled defensively.

6 - Carragher - Poor distribution but untroubled.

6 - Turtle (can't spell his name) solid but ball watched once or twice.

7 - Aurelio - Decent on the ball and done well on the left on his own.

3 - Kuyt - Scored the winner but was a disgrace. Absolotuely awful.

7 - Alonso - MOM never gave it away, played some excellent passes, read the game, best player.

7 - Gerrard - Helped Xabi boss the game, tried, tackled and done well, good balance with Xabi.

4 - Bennayoun - Poor, can do alot better.

5 - Keane - Worked hard... too hard. RELAX!

6 - Torres - Not at his best, needs to sharpen up.

Subs:

2 - Babel - Supplied the cross, he owed that to us for the :censored: he served before... Is the biggest :censored: house and waster ever. Rubbish rubbish rubbish performance by a :censored: player who is a disgrace to the shirt.

7 - El Zhar - Looked lively, offered more than Kuyt, Babel and Bennayoun. Played good passes and looked lively.

Disgracefull from the wide players with the exception of Aurelio.

Alonso turned the ball over 6 times in this game. He was just as culpible as the rest, behind Yossi and Kuyt. This from someone who, a number of people on this forum consider to be a ball-holder. He offers no movement going forward.

Feel free to watch the game and count ...

It does make me wonder what sort of football some of the people on this forum want us to play. I would much prefer the Alonso that showed up as a 2nd half substitute constantly and accurately finding the SAME players who were on the pitch today - moving forward.

We did not dictate the pace of the game, we hardly set any tempo -and least of all, Alonso did not boss the game at all. He did boss the game against Sunderland. There is a vast, vast difference.
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:35 am

7 - Reina - Some good saves.

7 - Alonso - MOM never gave it away, played some excellent passes, read the game, best player.

7 - Gerrard - Helped Xabi boss the game, tried, tackled and done well, good balance with Xabi.

I think you were over generous Stu...... take a point off them all (apart from Reina) and you are more or less spot on. Reina would be my M.O.M.
account deleted by request

Postby LegBarnes » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:40 am

peewee wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:All you fu.cks slaging dirk off eat ya words and my man babel with cross.

Some of you make me sick.  :no

yeah cos kuyt is world class now based on kneeing one in from 4 yards

idiot

FU.CK OFF like to see your fat :censored: do it pri.ck.

Go surport manc's if you enjoy nice football this is liverpool remember we aint played nice football since 1990.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:47 am

OK just remember guys we have had one of worst pre seasons i can remember.

Gerrard had injury and missed game here and there.

Havent had masch or babel or lucas around much untill now.

all spanish wasn't about till last friendly or was it 2ns from last.

Also player we brought in are still learning how our team plays.

On top of that rafa has been fooked over in transfer market.

Owners havent helped.

More take over talk.

Rafas fall out in press about leaving.

Any more i can't remeber but all this will slow us down some what.

These for me these 3 games have been form games and we still getting our sh.it together.

We will click but we need few more games yet.

Tbh you haters just can't get through 2 weeks of bringing your real life sh.it to these forums sorry you lifes suck but don't depress the rest of us with your negitive comments.

Cos frankly I don't want to hear it and i am sure alot of others don't as well.

Do us and your team a favor and get behind them for once when they are not doing well and be a real suporter cos i am sick of this.

Rant over.  :D
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:48 am

Ciggy wrote:
matrix wrote:i wish i was as calm as some of you on here...   were in trouble here...   ???

Dontcha know the tricky reds always do it the hard way  :D

you said it ciggs...

i had a feeling it would be a dramatic finish after you sent that...

i like the way gerrard went down in the last minute,  he knows when to waste time...

i hope his injury aint to bad   :(
Last edited by matrix on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:49 am

matrix wrote:
Ciggy wrote:
matrix wrote:i wish i was as calm as some of you on here...   were in trouble here...   ???

you said it ciggs...

i like the way gerrard went down in the last minute,  he knows when to waste time   :D

Well people are saying he spat out a tooth i think he looked very dazed.

IF not he should get a Oscar for that acting.  :laugh:
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:50 am

btw Arbeloa is faster than Babel or Torres...... fact!

He's nowhere to be seen when Kuyt scores...... but as usual he's first to reach Kuyt to celebrate. :D
account deleted by request

Postby LegBarnes » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:52 am

Fo Dne wrote:7 - Reina - Some good saves.

Subs:

2 - Babel - Supplied the cross, he owed that to us for the :censored: he served before... Is the biggest :censored: house and waster ever. Rubbish rubbish rubbish performance by a :censored: player who is a disgrace to the shirt.

7 - El Zhar - Looked lively, offered more than Kuyt, Babel and Bennayoun. Played good passes and looked lively.

Disgracefull from the wide players with the exception of Aurelio.

You clearly know fu.ck all about football 2 outa 10 for babel LMAO.

You are some thing else CLASSIC>  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:56 am

LegBarnes wrote:OK just remember guys we have had one of worst pre seasons i can remember.

Gerrard had injury and missed game here and there.

Havent had masch or babel or lucas around much untill now.

all spanish wasn't about till last friendly or was it 2ns from last.

Also player we brought in are still learning how our team plays.

On top of that rafa has been fooked over in transfer market.

Owners havent helped.

More take over talk.

Rafas fall out in press about leaving.

Any more i can't remeber but all this will slow us down some what.

These for me these 3 games have been form games and we still getting our sh.it together.

We will click but we need few more games yet.

Tbh you haters just can't get through 2 weeks of bringing your real life sh.it to these forums sorry you lifes suck but don't depress the rest of us with your negitive comments.

Cos frankly I don't want to hear it and i am sure alot of others don't as well.

Do us and your team a favor and get behind them for once when they are not doing well and be a real suporter cos i am sick of this.

Rant over.  :D

Forums are meant for discussions - some do go overboard, but the whole idea of a discussion is that there are opposite sides to the argument.

In the heat of a game, the negative aspects are heightened - and remain so for a while after shitty games :)

I think you'd need to accept that there will be varying degrees of positivity and negativity on any forum, and it's upto you as an individual to find a way to deal with it.

In those rare cases where it does go overboard - the mods on this forum are pretty darn good at taking care of business :)
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby Simari » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:58 am

LegBarnes wrote:
matrix wrote:
Ciggy wrote:

you said it ciggs...

i like the way gerrard went down in the last minute,  he knows when to waste time   :D

Well people are saying he spat out a tooth i think he looked very dazed.

IF not he should get a Oscar for that acting.  :laugh:

Oh he did spit out a tooth for sure. Almost tried to hand it to Carra (or whoever he was sitting next to)  :laugh:
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby matrix » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:00 am

Gerrard set to miss start of England's World Cup campaign as lacklustre Reds squeeze through

By Leo Spall and Sami Mokbel
Last updated at 12:15 AM on 28th August 2008

Liverpool suffered a night of torture against European minnows Standard Liege before scraping through to the Champions League group stage 1-0 in extra-time.

But the victory came at a cost to the Merseysiders and England boss Fabio Capello after Rafa Benitez confirmed his talismanic midfielder will miss the next two weeks recovering from groin surgery.

Dirk Kuyt's knee saved Benitez's side the embarrassment of being taken to penalties by the Belgian club, scoring with it from close range as the clock showed two minutes left to play.

Steven Gerrard is set to miss England's opening World Cup qualifiers

Manager Benitez revealed Steven Gerrard is to have an operation to cure the long-standing groin problem - ruling him out for around a fortnight.

The surgery means he is set to miss the all-important start to England's World Cup qualifying campaign against Andorra and Croatia next month.

His absence will be a major setback for Capello, who has failed to turn the national side into a force and knows the trip to Croatia will be one of the trickiest.

Benitez had to rely on Gerrard as his team struggled against Liege, but then the Spaniard said: "Gerrard will have an operation.

"He has a groin problem.

"We knew it could be like this. He will be out for 10-15 days.

"I was talking with the doctor and we talked with him. He said he would play with pain and after it he would have an operation.

"He knew he had to keep going tonight because he was having the operation tomorrow."

The tie appeared to be heading for penalties when Kuyt stuck out a leg at the far post to send Ryan Babel's cross into the back of the net and guarantee Benitez's side a share in the lucrative next round.

Kuyt said :"We wanted to play in the Champions League because we know how good it can be.

"We've been in a final and a semi-final over recent years and we want more.

"First we have to win the qualifier and this was a tough game. We believed in ourselves and even though it wasn't our best performance, we always know we have the quality to score.

"Standard Liege were really tough opposition, they were really fighting for the 90 minutes in both matches and in extra time and maybe they deserved more, but that's football. We are just relieved to be through...

hopefully a quick recovery stevie...  :;):

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion