LIVERPOOL VS STANDARD LIEGE - Champions league qualifier - 2nd leg

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby shakey » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:49 pm

s@int wrote:
WeLLgoThrough wrote:
s@int wrote:I think we will win this game comfortably, maybe 3 or 4-0.

I love to read such comments.
I can't wait to be tomorrow, Liverpool will discover the real Standard Liege.
Even if we lose tomorrow, you can expect a battle to the death.
In addition, we were very disappointed about the quiet scousers in Liege fifteen days ago.
We'll be 3000 tomorrow and, believe me, even during YNWA, you'll hear us ... ;-) (unfortunately, i'll be watching on tv).
Hope to watch a nice game.
Enjoy!

Thats what I like to see.......you'll come in singing..... go home crying  :D  or maybe singing the Torres song......as you will have heard it a few times by then  :D

Sorry mate, you had your chance and blew it, now its OUR turn and we won't blow it.

Good luck in your league and I hope you win it, but forget Europe .... leave that to the big boys.

Brilliant :D  :bowdown
shakey

Postby metalhead » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:59 pm

s@int wrote:
WeLLgoThrough wrote:
s@int wrote:I think we will win this game comfortably, maybe 3 or 4-0.

I love to read such comments.
I can't wait to be tomorrow, Liverpool will discover the real Standard Liege.
Even if we lose tomorrow, you can expect a battle to the death.
In addition, we were very disappointed about the quiet scousers in Liege fifteen days ago.
We'll be 3000 tomorrow and, believe me, even during YNWA, you'll hear us ... ;-) (unfortunately, i'll be watching on tv).
Hope to watch a nice game.
Enjoy!

Thats what I like to see.......you'll come in singing..... go home crying  :D  or maybe singing the Torres song......as you will have heard it a few times by then  :D

Sorry mate, you had your chance and blew it, now its OUR turn and we won't blow it.

Good luck in your league and I hope you win it, but forget Europe .... leave that to the big boys.

:laugh:

I hope you don't jinx that mate tonight  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:56 pm

I think we'll go out tonight but win the league
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby GYBS » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:58 pm

GOAT_2.0 wrote:I think we'll go out tonight but win the league

can you pass round whatever it is your smoking please mate  ???
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:03 pm

:D Probably not, I'd take that though wouldn't you
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby GYBS » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:11 pm

GOAT_2.0 wrote: :D Probably not, I'd take that though wouldn't you

everyone would take it mate but think we got as much chance of getting messi kaka villa and augero as we have of winning the title this year
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:16 pm

Dont know about that

WTF is the point of giving up now?

Right ill make a prediction, we'll go out of the CL at the group stage and finish 5th.

:D Where's the fun in that, I'd rather end up disappointed like usual
Last edited by GOAT_2.0 on Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby Effes » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:17 pm

GYBS wrote:
GOAT_2.0 wrote::D Probably not, I'd take that though wouldn't you

everyone would take it mate but think we got as much chance of getting messi kaka villa and augero as we have of winning the title this year

Not according to 35% of the people on here (see "Money Where yer Mouth is
Thread)

I thought Liege were very good 2 weeks ago - they'll give
us a game.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:18 pm

Anyway back to tonight,yeah ill go for a comfortable win, we've got home advantage this time and we've got to start improving our performances soon, let's say 2-0 or 3-0
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:21 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:Not surprising - the lads need a break after the Olympics, I would think....

and they weren't registered on the UEFA rosters so they couldn't play even if they were fit.

We anctipicated the netherlands going out earlier and registered Babel in the squad despite his unavailability for the 1st leg.

N'Gog is probably the only other notable person worth mentioning that is not in the squad either
JoeTerp

Postby GYBS » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:28 pm

GOAT_2.0 wrote:Dont know about that

Right ill make a prediction, we'll go out of the CL at the group stage and finish 5th.

Not giving up mate just being realistic tbh thats all - always believe we can win but cant really see it due to the quality of both the teams ahead of us . think it will be 3rd this year but hopefully a bit closer
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:50 pm

GYBS wrote:

Not giving up mate just being realistic tbh thats all - always believe we can win but cant really see it due to the quality of both the teams ahead of us . think it will be 3rd this year but hopefully a bit closer

Fair enough, I prefer to be a bit of a dreamer  :D
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby GYBS » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:52 pm

GOAT_2.0 wrote:
GYBS wrote:

Fair enough, I prefer to be a bit of a dreamer  :D

nowt wrong with that mate  :buttrock
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby WeLLgoThrough » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:09 pm

GOAT_2.0 wrote:Fair enough, I prefer to be a bit of a dreamer  :D

So do I... about tonight ;-)
Come on Standard !
WeLLgoThrough

Postby Effes » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:21 pm

Racing Post's verdict:

Belgian raiders no pushovers for Rafa's Reds

Mark Langdon

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE qualifiers are often taken for granted by England's biggest Premier League clubs, but Liverpool were made to work extremely hard by Standard Liege in their first leg in Belgium two weeks ago.

Rafael Benitez's team were outplayed for 90 minutes and only an outstanding goalkeeping performance from Pepe Reina, who saved a penalty and made many other crucial stops, kept the fixture scoreless.

However, despite that, Liverpool are 1-5 to win tonight's second leg at Anfield and 1-8 to qualify for thelucrative group stages, with layers obviously anticipating a much-improved performance from the Merseysiders.

In fairness, the first leg was played before Liverpool had performed in the Premier League and they were clearly ring-rusty, but it is difficult to get excited about them at prohibitive odds.

Benitez's team have obtained maximum points from their two league matches, although they needed late goals to overcome Sunderland and Middlesbrough respectively thanks to the individual brilliance of Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard.

With those two in the ranks you would assume Liverpool will have too much for the visitors and you can't help but think Liege have let slip their best chance of causing an almighty upset.

Perhaps it would have been different had Milan Jovanovic had not been injured in the first leg. The Serb scored 16 goals for the Belgian champions last season and would have thrived on the service which was flying in from all angles, particularly in the first half two weeks ago.

Jovanovic is still feeling his way back to full fitness and has not notched this season as Standard triumphed 3-0 at Dender and then beat Westerlo 3-1.

Instead it has been left to DR Congo international Mbokani Bezua to do the damage for Laszlo Boloni's team.
  He has scored four goals in two outings and will clearly have to be watched by Jamie Carragher and Co.

With Jovanovic and Bezua on the pitch, Standard carry a goal threat and backing them receiving a 1.75 goal start on theAsian handicap may be one way to support the Belgian raiders.

However, the best bet may be to take the 40-1 about Marouana Fellaini scoring the first goal.

The defensive midfielder scored six league goals last term and looked so dangerous from set-pieces in the first leg.

It was Fellaini whose header hit the post and trickled along the line (some argued it should have been awarded as a goal) and he will be a major danger to the Reds.

Liverpool's zonal marking from corners and free kicks has often been criticised and the debate may be re-opened this evening.

Recommendation
M Fellaini first goalscorer, 0.5pt each-way 40-1
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion