LIVERPOOL VS STANDARD LIEGE - Champions league qualifier - 2nd leg

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:00 pm

I think it will be a very different game at Anfield, especially since we will have our tails up after the comeback against Boro. I can see the players really being up for this one, not only were they embarrassed in the first leg they also took some rough treatment and I imagine Standard Liege may taste some of their own medicine.

Assuming that Lucas and Mascherano will not be available until the weekend:

Reina

Carragher   Hyypia   Skrtel   Aurelio

Plessi   Alonso

Kuyt     Gerrard      Babel

Torres

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:34 pm

Liverpool will not risk Javier Mascherano for Champions League tie against Standard Liege
Javier Mascherano is unlikely to be involved in Liverpool's Champions League second leg against Standard Liege on Wednesday.

Last Updated: 10:13AM BST 25 Aug 2008

The 24-year-old midfielder was due to leave China at the weekend, but manager Rafael Benitez does not think he will be prepared enough to face the Belgian champions at Anfield in the third qualifying round.

The match is poised at 0-0 after Liverpool's alarmingly poor performance a fortnight ago in the first leg.

Liverpool stand on the brink of losing a minimum £10 million in prize money from Uefa if they fail to qualify for the group stages.

Benitez said: "Javier will be back with us soon. But I do not think he will be in contention to play in Europe.

"He has spent too much time travelling and playing, that makes it difficult to be at your best.

"The same thing applied to Ryan Babel. He returned from China last week after Holland were knocked out, but I only really considered him as a substitute at the weekend."

Babel came on for the final 25 minutes of Saturday's 2-1 home win over Middlesbrough, but looked short of fitness.

Brazilian midfielder Lucas has also returned to Liverpool from the Olympics.

Daily Telegraph

Doesn't sound as if Masch will be starting, but he may be a sub?
account deleted by request

Postby SupitsJonF » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:12 pm

I don't think he will be a sub, but maybe late second half is possible.  I can see us scoring and the way things have been going them scoring middle way through of the second half.  Then we would probably get a second goal to put us through as things looked lost. 

Or we could have a game without a heart attack involved  :D
SupitsJonF

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:38 pm

no doubt we`ll make things hard for ourselves and the result will still in the balance with 10 minutes to go.

i know we`ve heard that the Barry deal is off but it wouldnt surprise me if the result of this game will determine whether we make another bid or not, just got a feeling we havnt heard the last of this.

im hoping for a feet up 3.0 but feel it will be 2.1 win with a late goal
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:59 pm

I'm a tad nervous about this one. We've struggled in these 2nd leg qualifiers at home over the last few seasons and have gone through thanks to the away performance. This season though we looked nothing short of shite in Liege and we will have to turn up and perform on Wednesday.
I think Rafa has to start Babel as Benayoun was a big steaming pile of turd on Saturday by all accounts, Babel will bring a bit more pace to our attack and add some much needed strength to midfield as we were well out-muscled and bullied at their place.
If Gerrard is struggling with this groin injury then an option could be to give Lucas 45-60 mins and then give Monster the remainder.

I think it'll be a clench your @rse cheeks together 2-1 in our favour!
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:03 pm

s@int wrote:Liverpool will not risk Javier Mascherano for Champions League tie against Standard Liege
Javier Mascherano is unlikely to be involved in Liverpool's Champions League second leg against Standard Liege on Wednesday.

Last Updated: 10:13AM BST 25 Aug 2008

The 24-year-old midfielder was due to leave China at the weekend, but manager Rafael Benitez does not think he will be prepared enough to face the Belgian champions at Anfield in the third qualifying round.

The match is poised at 0-0 after Liverpool's alarmingly poor performance a fortnight ago in the first leg.

Liverpool stand on the brink of losing a minimum £10 million in prize money from Uefa if they fail to qualify for the group stages.

Benitez said: "Javier will be back with us soon. But I do not think he will be in contention to play in Europe.

"He has spent too much time travelling and playing, that makes it difficult to be at your best.

"The same thing applied to Ryan Babel. He returned from China last week after Holland were knocked out, but I only really considered him as a substitute at the weekend."

Babel came on for the final 25 minutes of Saturday's 2-1 home win over Middlesbrough, but looked short of fitness.

Brazilian midfielder Lucas has also returned to Liverpool from the Olympics.

Daily Telegraph

Doesn't sound as if Masch will be starting, but he may be a sub?

I thought that we did not register macherano for the qualifying stages??   he is on on our uefa.com roster.

this is who is elligible:
A List

17 (MAXIMUM) foriegn trained players:
1 Reina
2 Cavalieri

3 Dossena
4 Agger
5 Skrtel
6 Hyypia
7 Arbeloa
8 Insua
9 Aurelio

10 Yossi
11 Xabi Alonso
12 Plessis
13 El Zhar

14 Torres
15 Babel
16 Kuyt
17 Voronin

8 (Minimum) English TRAINED (AT LEAST 4 trained at LFC)
1 Carra
2 Gerrard
3 Darby*
4 Spearing*
5 Kelly*

6 Pennant
7 Finnan
8 Keane

B List players:
Eccleston
Martin Hansen (GK)
Ryan Flynn
Steve Irwin

*Elligible to put on B list, but it didn't matter either way unless we resigned Fowler, Owen, and Warncok, in which case they would STILL be able to play for us in the CL. And we just as easily could have put Flynn or Irwin in the A list squad.

****** Trained means 3 years at the club before you are 22.*****

B list is U21 players who have been at the club for TWO years. (Insua will be on the B list come january, not expected to be on group stage A list with masch and Lucas coming back)
JoeTerp

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:05 pm

WeLLgoThrough wrote:
Standard Liege fan wrote:Our chances to go through are sthing like 20%

Are you really a "Standard Liege fan" like your nick says ?
Show respect to the opponent but we've got more than 20% chances !
What was your forecast before the first leg ? Probably not a draw.
We have a strong team with fast strikers.
With a godd organisation and smart counter-attacks, we'll get through!
By the way, I'm pretty sure we gonna see De Camargo with Mbokani.
He is quite better than Jova for the defensive job.
Don't be sad, dear LFC fans, without group stage work, you'll be able to concentrate on the Premierleague and, finally, win it !

P.S.: please don't quote if bad things happen to Liege on wednesday...  :cool:

Yes you have a chance like you have a chance when you play the lotto but in the real world.....

Your fans was nice in your own ground you see there balls shrink when they hear the kop roar it will Rock your souls.

Not saying we will win easy no game of football is easy at this level but you in for a great game of football , that we can promise.

Also you will all leave anfield with a new found rspect for our club as you will see why liverpool is a european legend.

Good luck you going to need it.

YNWA Come on the Reds !  :buttrock
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:56 am

Back to our old formation for this one for me, no time in this game to be bedding Keane in, bring him off the bench depending on things.

Yossi shouldnt be near the starting 11 either play Aurelio there or Babel.

No time for @rsing around in this game.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:43 am

Rafa has promised that we will be better in this game , maybe because he has tinkered with the formation to a proven formula ?
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:32 am

Toffeehater wrote:Rafa has promised that we will be better in this game , maybe because he has tinkered with the formation to a proven formula ?

maybe he has dropped kuyt automatically giving us 11 players rather than 10 players and a donkey

:D
112-1077774096

Postby Thewaykokid » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:34 am

peewee wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:Rafa has promised that we will be better in this game , maybe because he has tinkered with the formation to a proven formula ?

maybe he has dropped kuyt automatically giving us 11 players rather than 10 players and a donkey

:bowdown
If you can't amaze people with your intelligence, try confusing them with your :censored: :)
Thewaykokid

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:41 am

Thewaykokid wrote:
peewee wrote:

:bowdown

endorsed  :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:51 am

Never mind Kuyt what about bennynoun he''s been woeful. :glare:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:05 am

Ciggy wrote:Never mind Kuyt what about bennynoun he''s been woeful. :glare:

Never mind Benayoun, Kuyts been terry-bubble.  :glare:
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:13 am

Bamaga man wrote:
Ciggy wrote:Never mind Kuyt what about bennynoun he''s been woeful. :glare:

Never mind Benayoun, Kuyts been terry-bubble.  :glare:

:laugh:  :bowdown  :laugh:
account deleted by request