LIVERPOOL VS READING - Come on lads

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:59 pm

some news ahead of the game tomorrow.

IN-FORM LUIS A DOUBT FOR ROYALS CLASH

Mark Platt 03 November 2006

Luis Garcia is a doubt for Liverpool's weekend clash against Reading but Craig Bellamy and Mark Gonzalez are back in contention for a first team recall. 
Garcia is suffering from a hamstring injury and Rafael Benitez is not confident of him recovering in time to face the Royals.

There is better news, however, regarding Bellamy and Gonzalez, while Xabi Alonso, who was forced to leave the field after 57 minutes of the 3-0 win over Bordeaux in midweek, has also been declared fit.

"Everyone is training normally except Luis, who spent yesterday working with the physio," said the Reds boss today.

"We're not sure if Luis will be available for this game. He hurt his hamstring when he had a shot in the second half on Tuesday.

"But Xabi Alonso trained without any problems yesterday and Craig Bellamy and Mark Gonzalez are okay now. They are training normally."

Bellamy has not figured in the first team since being sidelined with a calf injury after the Blackburn game on October 14, while Gonzalez has been missing since the defeat at Old Trafford a fortnight ago.

congratulations to Jamie Carragher, who reaches 300 premiership apps tomorrow:

Carra joins a 300 club Nov 3 2006

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

WITH 299 league appearances, two goals and at least six positions under his belt, Jamie Carragher celebrates another An-field landmark tomorrow.

If selected to face Reading, the Liverpool defender will reach the treble century nearly ten years on from his debut as a teenager under Roy Evans.

Having started life in the reserves as a striker, Carragher has established himself during different periods as a central midfielder, wing back, right back, left back and ultimately a centre half over a decade's impeccable service.

The last three Liverpool managers have been glowing in their tributes of one of the most consistent players in the club's illustrious history.

And at 28, injury permitting, Carragher is destined to go on to join an elite group of players who have made more than 500 career appearances for the Reds.

"Obviously I'll be very proud to reach 300 Premiership games," said Carragher, who has 432 appear-ances in all competitions.

"In this day and age it's getting harder for players to stay at one club for so long.

"Paul Scholes made it to 500 for Manchester United a few weeks ago, but I think with the number of players who have come into the game, you find teams completely change a lot more than they used to. The Bosman deal and arrival of so many foreign players has made a difference too.

"We've had three managers, and each time a new one comes in you find a lot of players leave and come in.

"Maybe it's been a bit different for the Manchester United lads because they had the same manager for the whole of their career.

"When you're not competing for the title, it changes every four or five years, so I feel I've been very lucky to have been given an opportunity to play under both Gerard Houllier and Rafa Benitez."

Carragher made his league debut as a substitute against West Ham on January 11, 1997, having earlier appeared in a Carling Cup tie against Middlesbrough.

But it was his first Anfield start a week later which first brought him to public attention.

"I turned up on the morning of the game thinking I was going to be on the bench as coverat centre-half," he recalls.

"Then I heard Patrik Berger had gone down with flu, and I'd be in at centre midfield.

"I think the occasion got the better of me at first and I was too eager, because I got booked after ten seconds.

"It was a bad tackle as well on Andy Townsend. To be fair, he helped me out a lot. He got up straight away and didn't make anything of it. I'm not saying it was a sending off, but some players might have made it look even worse.

"I've thanked him for that over the years."

What could have been a nightmare start to his career was transformed in the second half when he scored what would become a rare goal.

"Stig Bjornebye took the corner at the Kop end and because none of the Villa players knew me, Iwas just left on my own to head it in," he said.

"I had one goal in three games then and have only scored two in 299 league games now, but to be fair I've not been up for so many corners since.

"The other goal I scored was against Southampton in a 7-1 win at Anfield."

Carragher's only regret over the last ten seasons is the lack of title success.

While the cups have stirred emotions with some of the most memorable games of the modern era, league highlights are limited to wins over familiar foes.

"When you're talking about the Premiership games which stick out most, you have to look at the derbies or games against Manchester United," he says.

"To go to Old Trafford and play in a side which won three times in four years was a superb achievement, but the league game which stands out the most is the win at Goodison in 2001.

"We hadn't won there for a long time,and the feeling when Gary Mac scored was unbelievable. If we hadn't won that game, I'm sure we wouldn't have qualified for the Champions League forthe first time, as we did that season."

It took several years and numerous positional changes for Carragher to secure his first team place, but he's now firmly established as one of the club's most important players.

And if proof were needed how much he appreciates every minute of each fixture, it's the fact he can remember so many of them.

"I remember about two or three incidents in every game I've been involved in," he said.

"I've played in every position except left wing and in goal.

"I once played right midfield at Spurs to man-mark Ginola which didn't work - and I was a striker for the reserves.

"Now I'm in the position I'm happiest in. I just hope I can keep impressing Rafa Benitez and make plenty more appearances. My best memories playing for Liverpool have tended to be in the cup competitions, so it would be nice to have plenty more good Premiership experiences in the next few years."

The centre-back is top of club's Premiership appearance table by a country mile having made his league debut against West Ham back in January 1997.

Carragher has made 432 appearances for the Reds in all competitions.

The top 10 for Liverpool in the Premiership is:

1. Jamie Carragher (299)
2. Sami Hyypia (260)
3. Robbie Fowler (253)
4. Steven Gerrard (242)
5. Steve McManaman (240)
6. Jamie Redknapp (231)
7. Michael Owen (216)
8. David James (214)
9. Didi Hamann (191)
10. John Arne Riise (179)

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:05 pm

Every time I read about Carra it makes me respect him more. Top man and a great player.
account deleted by request

Postby Ade » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:10 pm

Must-win game (as are the next 10 probably).

I'd rest Sissoko so he doesn't get a yellow and miss the Arsenal game. I'd also like to see Gerrard get a run in the middle - to me, when he switched inside on Weds he seemed to explode with that enthusiasm i haven't seen for ages. He looked liberated to me.

Pennant also needs to build his confidence and so play him on the right. Start with Riise on left mid and if the game's safe, thrown on Gonzalez. These two need to get match sharp and get their confidence up.

I'd also think about Agger at the back - don't Reading have a bit of pace up front.

Reina

Finnan
Carra
Agger
Warnock

Pennant
gerrard
Alonso
Riise

Crouch
Kuyt

Anyway, i'm made up whatever - i managed to lift the FA Cup this morning
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:37 pm

Bellamy is out according to Liverpool tv.

My team :-

Reina

Finnan
Riise
Carra
Agger

Gonzales
Alonso
Gerrard
Pennant

Crouch
Kuyt
account deleted by request

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:41 pm

Ade wrote:Anyway, i'm made up whatever - i managed to lift the FA Cup this morning

Thievin' bastard. You won't get much for dat down the pubs tonight!  :p  :D

LFC vs RFC

I'd deffo leave Sissoko on the bench for tomorrows game 'cos he'll be more important next week against the arse. having put in a good display in the carling can last week I'd play pennant on the right with stevie in the middle with Alonso (whose expected to be fit). Up front sames as the last two games and if LG is still struggling either JAR on the left or maybe Aurelio as this shouldn't be too much of a tough game (touchwood  :lookaround ). Same again at the back as well but maybe give Agger 1/2 an hour if things are going well.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:48 pm

red37 wrote:some news ahead of the game tomorrow.

IN-FORM LUIS A DOUBT FOR ROYALS CLASH

Mark Platt 03 November 2006

Luis Garcia is a doubt for Liverpool's weekend clash against Reading but Craig Bellamy and Mark Gonzalez are back in contention for a first team recall. 
Garcia is suffering from a hamstring injury and Rafael Benitez is not confident of him recovering in time to face the Royals.

There is better news, however, regarding Bellamy and Gonzalez, while Xabi Alonso, who was forced to leave the field after 57 minutes of the 3-0 win over Bordeaux in midweek, has also been declared fit.

"Everyone is training normally except Luis, who spent yesterday working with the physio," said the Reds boss today.

"We're not sure if Luis will be available for this game. He hurt his hamstring when he had a shot in the second half on Tuesday.

"But Xabi Alonso trained without any problems yesterday and Craig Bellamy and Mark Gonzalez are okay now. They are training normally."

Bellamy has not figured in the first team since being sidelined with a calf injury after the Blackburn game on October 14, while Gonzalez has been missing since the defeat at Old Trafford a fortnight ago.

congratulations to Jamie Carragher, who reaches 300 premiership apps tomorrow:

Carra joins a 300 club Nov 3 2006

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

WITH 299 league appearances, two goals and at least six positions under his belt, Jamie Carragher celebrates another An-field landmark tomorrow.

If selected to face Reading, the Liverpool defender will reach the treble century nearly ten years on from his debut as a teenager under Roy Evans.

Having started life in the reserves as a striker, Carragher has established himself during different periods as a central midfielder, wing back, right back, left back and ultimately a centre half over a decade's impeccable service.

The last three Liverpool managers have been glowing in their tributes of one of the most consistent players in the club's illustrious history.

And at 28, injury permitting, Carragher is destined to go on to join an elite group of players who have made more than 500 career appearances for the Reds.

"Obviously I'll be very proud to reach 300 Premiership games," said Carragher, who has 432 appear-ances in all competitions.

"In this day and age it's getting harder for players to stay at one club for so long.

"Paul Scholes made it to 500 for Manchester United a few weeks ago, but I think with the number of players who have come into the game, you find teams completely change a lot more than they used to. The Bosman deal and arrival of so many foreign players has made a difference too.

"We've had three managers, and each time a new one comes in you find a lot of players leave and come in.

"Maybe it's been a bit different for the Manchester United lads because they had the same manager for the whole of their career.

"When you're not competing for the title, it changes every four or five years, so I feel I've been very lucky to have been given an opportunity to play under both Gerard Houllier and Rafa Benitez."

Carragher made his league debut as a substitute against West Ham on January 11, 1997, having earlier appeared in a Carling Cup tie against Middlesbrough.

But it was his first Anfield start a week later which first brought him to public attention.

"I turned up on the morning of the game thinking I was going to be on the bench as coverat centre-half," he recalls.

"Then I heard Patrik Berger had gone down with flu, and I'd be in at centre midfield.

"I think the occasion got the better of me at first and I was too eager, because I got booked after ten seconds.

"It was a bad tackle as well on Andy Townsend. To be fair, he helped me out a lot. He got up straight away and didn't make anything of it. I'm not saying it was a sending off, but some players might have made it look even worse.

"I've thanked him for that over the years."

What could have been a nightmare start to his career was transformed in the second half when he scored what would become a rare goal.

"Stig Bjornebye took the corner at the Kop end and because none of the Villa players knew me, Iwas just left on my own to head it in," he said.

"I had one goal in three games then and have only scored two in 299 league games now, but to be fair I've not been up for so many corners since.

"The other goal I scored was against Southampton in a 7-1 win at Anfield."

Carragher's only regret over the last ten seasons is the lack of title success.

While the cups have stirred emotions with some of the most memorable games of the modern era, league highlights are limited to wins over familiar foes.

"When you're talking about the Premiership games which stick out most, you have to look at the derbies or games against Manchester United," he says.

"To go to Old Trafford and play in a side which won three times in four years was a superb achievement, but the league game which stands out the most is the win at Goodison in 2001.

"We hadn't won there for a long time,and the feeling when Gary Mac scored was unbelievable. If we hadn't won that game, I'm sure we wouldn't have qualified for the Champions League forthe first time, as we did that season."

It took several years and numerous positional changes for Carragher to secure his first team place, but he's now firmly established as one of the club's most important players.

And if proof were needed how much he appreciates every minute of each fixture, it's the fact he can remember so many of them.

"I remember about two or three incidents in every game I've been involved in," he said.

"I've played in every position except left wing and in goal.

"I once played right midfield at Spurs to man-mark Ginola which didn't work - and I was a striker for the reserves.

"Now I'm in the position I'm happiest in. I just hope I can keep impressing Rafa Benitez and make plenty more appearances. My best memories playing for Liverpool have tended to be in the cup competitions, so it would be nice to have plenty more good Premiership experiences in the next few years."

The centre-back is top of club's Premiership appearance table by a country mile having made his league debut against West Ham back in January 1997.

Carragher has made 432 appearances for the Reds in all competitions.

The top 10 for Liverpool in the Premiership is:

1. Jamie Carragher (299)
2. Sami Hyypia (260)
3. Robbie Fowler (253)
4. Steven Gerrard (242)
5. Steve McManaman (240)
6. Jamie Redknapp (231)
7. Michael Owen (216)
8. David James (214)
9. Didi Hamann (191)
10. John Arne Riise (179)

good read thanks for posting it.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:17 pm

from bbc:

After finally fielding the same team for the first time in 100 games, injuries to Luis Garcia and Xabi Alonso will force Liverpool into changes.

Craig Bellamy remains a doubt and Jermaine Pennant is set to start.

Reading midfielder Stephen Hunt is back in contention after sitting out the game at Portsmouth, but skipper Graeme Murty is unlikely to make his comeback.

The defender stays on the sidelines along with Dave Kitson, John Halls, Peter Mate, Simon Cox and Aaron Brown.
-------------

On that basis:

Reina

Finnan    Carra    Hyypia   Riise

Pennant Gerrard  Zenden  Gonzalez

Crouch    Kuyt 

???  probably need my head seeing to about starting zenden, but if alonso is out, do we really want to risk momo  getting a 5th yellow, and being suspended against arsenal?

would like to see folwer getting at least 30mins.. could have started him, but how do you drop crouch or kuyt at the moment? - plus theres brum on wednesday, and i'm sure robbie will start then.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:24 pm

do League cup games count?  ie, should Momo play tomorrow and receive a 5th yellow..wouldnt it count as a suspension for the Birmingham game and not Arsenal?  just a thought.. if it is the case: then id stick with him tomorrow. if not, then fine - keep him for the next League game.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby RichardLFC1 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:33 pm

Redman in wales wrote:from bbc:

After finally fielding the same team for the first time in 100 games, injuries to Luis Garcia and Xabi Alonso will force Liverpool into changes.

Craig Bellamy remains a doubt and Jermaine Pennant is set to start.

Reading midfielder Stephen Hunt is back in contention after sitting out the game at Portsmouth, but skipper Graeme Murty is unlikely to make his comeback.

The defender stays on the sidelines along with Dave Kitson, John Halls, Peter Mate, Simon Cox and Aaron Brown.
-------------

On that basis:

Reina

Finnan    Carra    Hyypia   Riise

Pennant Gerrard  Zenden  Gonzalez

Crouch    Kuyt 

???  probably need my head seeing to about starting zenden, but if alonso is out, do we really want to risk momo  getting a 5th yellow, and being suspended against arsenal?

would like to see folwer getting at least 30mins.. could have started him, but how do you drop crouch or kuyt at the moment? - plus theres brum on wednesday, and i'm sure robbie will start then.

If luis is out id like to see riise lw and aurelio lb. riise gave reading a real problem down the left in the cup.

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby columbia » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:40 pm

Alonso is fine: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N153980061103-1420.htm

ALONSO FIT BUT BELLAMY OUT OF READING CLASH
Steve Hunter 03 November 2006

Rafael Benitez has revealed that midfield ace Xabi Alonso will be fit for the Reading clash at Anfield on Saturday but Craig Bellamy misses out because he is short of fitness.
Alonso has recovered from the knock that forced him to leave the field early in the second half during the midweek 3-0 win over Bordeaux.

The Welsh international has resumed training after recovering from a calf problem but Benitez won't risk him against Reading. Chile international Mark Gonzalez also comes back into the reckoning for the visit of Steve Coppell's side.

"Xabi is fit and available and while Craig is training again I won't risk him against Reading," Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"Mark Gonzalez is fit and available and we will see how Luis Garcia is on Saturday."

My team

reina

finnan
carragher
hyypia
riise

alonso
gerrard
Gonzalez (Garcia if fit)
pennant

crouch
Kuyt

2 - 0 liverpool
columbia

Postby Ade » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:08 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:
Ade wrote:Anyway, i'm made up whatever - i managed to lift the FA Cup this morning

Thievin' bastard. You won't get much for dat down the pubs tonight!  :p  :D

LFC vs RFC

I'd deffo leave Sissoko on the bench for tomorrows game 'cos he'll be more important next week against the arse. having put in a good display in the carling can last week I'd play pennant on the right with stevie in the middle with Alonso (whose expected to be fit). Up front sames as the last two games and if LG is still struggling either JAR on the left or maybe Aurelio as this shouldn't be too much of a tough game (touchwood  :lookaround ). Same again at the back as well but maybe give Agger 1/2 an hour if things are going well.

It was blinding mate. Lighter than i thought, but beautiful silver work, and our name on the base. Held it aloft and kissed it.

:censored: made my day

:cool:
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:37 pm

Good point raised about Sissoko! I doubt that Raffa will play him given our next game is awawy to Arsenal!

But we should have enough to win comfortably without him.Im sure Reading will fancy there chances after scoring 3 against us the other week although i do feel the squad have a lot more confidence about them now!What a difference a few wins makes to the club and supporters alike!
Some of the stuff we've been playing in our last few games has been breathtaking!
Personally i cant help but feel that the ba.stard directors comments in a way were a Godsend.Its sems to have totally united the whole of LFC from the top down!
More importantly the players look to be working and playing to support Raffa as if to shove his comments down his throat!

I cant see anything but a comfortable win tomorrow as for guessing team selection??
Why bother?
We never get it right anyway! :D
66-1120597113

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:24 am

I'm not taken anything for granted and with all due respect to Reading this should be a game where we can keep our momentum going. Another confidence booster is always good and would be the perfect result ahead of the Arsenal match.
66-1112520797

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:53 am

As tends to be the case, I think it's quite possible we will struggle against Reading, despite beating them in the cup.

It seems to be something of a trend with us, where we can hamer a team one week in one competition, then get beaten by the very same side in another.

Technically, we're miles ahead of them, and you don't need me to tell you that.

I have a strong inkling that many players will be rested for this one. It isn't a problem as far as I am concerned, but I would wager Rafa is more likely to give the lads a break now, rather than against Brum.

I wouldn't be at all suprised to see the following team:

Reina

Finnan        JC            Paletta         Aurelio

Pennant             Sissoko           Xabi              Gonzalez

God               Kuyt.

Wouldn't be suprised at all. (And no - I wouldn't personally like Stevie to be rested, but it's not me I'm guessing about.)

We shall see...

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:46 am

I must be mental still being up at this time....has anyone got a link tomorrow that might have the game ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion