LIVERPOOL VS PORTSMOUTH - Wednesday 29th october 20.00pm ko

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:58 pm

I am still dumbfounded by what Kuyt did when Alonso was carrying the ball past him just inside the edge of the box in the 2nd half.
JoeTerp

Postby Bam » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:01 pm

JoeTerp wrote:I am still dumbfounded by what Kuyt did when Alonso was carrying the ball past him just inside the edge of the box in the 2nd half.

I am dumbfounded that "Philly" won the Baseball series in America, and then were given the title WORLD CHAMPIONS.

:laugh:

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Spartan1985 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:27 pm

I actually wasn't that disappointed with Babel's performance. Whilst it wasn't outstanding it was better than the last few times he'd started and went completely missing. There were a few occassions where he attacked the Portsmouth defenders and easily blitzed past them. The final touch went missing but if he could do that a few more time each match and put on a decent pass at the end I think his stock would rise. I did notice that he was a bit of a ball watcher though, I'm no soccer tactics superstar but he did seem to make a few passes and not follow them up or move into space. I'm sure that will get sorted though.
Spartan1985

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:09 pm

s@int wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
s@int wrote:To be honest I was a little disappointed in Alonso, who seemed more like his old self (the poorer one) last night. Maybe it was because Riera wasn't playing, maybe it was partnering Lucas, but he was crabbing the ball most of the game.

I thought Alonso had a good first half and an okay second half.  I do think a lot of it had to do with who he had around him, though.  He played some amazing raking balls out to Pennant in the first half, only for Pennant to lose possession.  Soon after, his (Pennant's) head dropped and he became very static.  Babel, on the other flank was also very static.  He seems to prefer standing still on the touchline to receive the short pass so that he can control the ball better when receiving it.  He is terrible for attacking space behind the fullback or down the channel, and he seems to hate receiving a ball on the move.  I also thought Aurelio offered very little going forward, providing even fewer options for the diagonal ball to stretch play.  Add to that the fact that Portsmouth were content to play with two banks of four and to have Diarra shadow Gerrard and you leave Alonso with very few outlets.  Since Lucas didn't seem interested in creating space for him, I think he tried to invite Sami and Carra to carry the ball forward and draw Portsmouth players to them, so he could receie the ball in more space.  They did do it on occasion (Sami, especially, looked interested in carrying the ball forward or playing it to feet for Kuyt and Gerrard) but Agger was noticeable by his absence in an attacking sense.

I don't want to start another Alonso argument so I will make this one post and hopefully move on.

Tbh I saw the first half in bits and bobs (searching for a stream, and poor stream etc etc )  and while I got a reasonable impression from the first half .... not good enough to really argue a point.

Second half I had a pretty good stream, and its really from half time that most of my ideas on the game are based. I thought Alonso took the easy way out too many times, even allowing for the reasons you raise Bob. Hyypia and Carra are unfortunately not the greatest and most imaginative passers in the world, and on a number of occasions I thought Alonso passed on the responsibility when he had time and space, rather than taking it upon him self to make the play.

I am not saying he had a bad game, just that the problems I have always had when rating Alonso's game surfaced again last night.

Hopefully I am not being too strong in my criticism, I wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings  :D

No argument from me, mate.  He had a good first half and an okay second half, as you've said.  On the bright side, Crouch is one of the few tackling-back centre forwards that Alonso can get away from so he wasn't harried like he has been on occasion in the past. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby zarababe » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:40 pm

Sabre wrote:
andy_g wrote:i only saw the motd highlights myself so i'm in no position to make any kind of comments about the overall peformance. one thing that did strike me though was how many players were having a pop at goal. kuyt, carra, aurelio, sami, gerrard, keane, lucas, yossi and babel all had a go and some of them were only denied by some very good keeping from james.

I noticed that too but forgot to mention it, good point Andy.

Not good enuff Sabe, you needs to make the point OK  :angry:

:D

Fantastic result - getting the win was so important. It's really tight up the top at the moment - with everyone picking up max points.

Come on Rafa's reds... lurve Rafa  :bowdown
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion