LIVERPOOL VS PORTSMOUTH - A chance to catch up

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby syphax » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:13 am

Ciggy wrote:
mikopool wrote:For anyone who watched the match, how did El Zhar look?

Like a Tunisian.
Nar he wasnt on that long to make an impression probably sh.it himself playing tonight cause he played lastnight and only got a shirt number before the game.
Him and Guthrie tried to liven things up but it wasnt to be our build up play is so friggen slow, and predictable its a joke.
I predict the season 2007 new LB, Carra on the bench, Hyypia gone and a new pacy RB.
And we will all be up in arms again with getting beat while the new back 4 settles in.

He's not tunisian! but from the looks of it he did play like a tunisian or he didnt have enough time nor support to make an impression
syphax

Postby Aaron » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:22 am

I don't usually be rude to people, but what the  are you on about? What does a player’s nationality have to do with anything; surely it’s what they do on the pitch that matters? Firstly Finnan is Irish, therefore he is not British and he’s not English. He is also along with Neville one of the best right backs in the league. Bellamy is Welsh, not English, he is new, suffering a lack of confidence, he needs more time, same with Pennant. How can you say Fowler isn’t good enough, he hasn’t put a foot wrong since he came back earlier this year. He hardly ever plays and if you watched the Man City match you’ll realise what he brings to the team. Are you some sort of fascist? I suggest you look at our history because most of our great teams were made up of Scottish, Irish, Welsh and English player and are you seriously telling me players like John Barnes didn’t know what playing for Liverpool was about? You’re talking absolute nonsense.

I forgot Agger’s dire and Alonso hasn’t got any quality. You’ve completely overreacted to a draw here; I’d go as far as saying you’re not a Liverpool supporter. Constructive criticism is welcomed, utter  like this is not, I usually accept a difference of opinion, but not when they are complete  like this, and do you even believe what you’re typing?

If you can’t stick by Liverpool through the bad times, go and support another club.

Read the post again before you start :censored: blabbering!! I never said nationality was an issue. I simply said most of our foreign players bar Kuyt, Riise, Alonso and Sissoko are not up for the battle of the Prem. I'm giving my opinion, i'm entitled to it. I was at the Man C game on Saturday and it was the poorest LFC game i've been at out of 11. I dont get to many games because of where i live. Like you said, our past sides have been made up of British or Irish players and that brought us success. Thats the reason i suggested Rafa bring in more British or Irish players rather than buying players who dont suit the premiership. Where in my post did I say Alonso has no quality? NOWHERE!! I would give Agger a few years, he is up and comming and looks a good prospect. Fowler isnt the player we sold 5 years ago. Finnan hasnt been as good this year as previous seasons. Sami is too slow, Zenden isnt good enuff and Garcia is poor also. I hate criticising my own team but when every season we think its finally goin to be our year we :censored: up. I simply stated i wanted Rafa to invest in quality British or Irish players like SWP or Defoe rather than bringing in poor players such as Zenden, Garcia etc.. I havnt simply over-reacted to a draw, I have been watching Liverpool since is was 6, i'm now 17, and this season when we were expected to challenge for the league, we falter. I really think its time we invested in British and Irish talent......this isnt a bad reaction to a draw, its just my honest opinion!
City 'till I Die
Aaron

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:28 am

Garcia is a game winner
Agger is going to be with us for a long time
Aurelio (SP) i still say will develop into a great player for us
Gonzales - see above

theres just something not clicking at the moment, dunno what it is, if its confidence or what, but its something, and when it is ever sorted out, we will destroy a team or two im sure of that
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:28 am

DCFC wrote:
I don't usually be rude to people, but what the  are you on about? What does a player’s nationality have to do with anything; surely it’s what they do on the pitch that matters? Firstly Finnan is Irish, therefore he is not British and he’s not English. He is also along with Neville one of the best right backs in the league. Bellamy is Welsh, not English, he is new, suffering a lack of confidence, he needs more time, same with Pennant. How can you say Fowler isn’t good enough, he hasn’t put a foot wrong since he came back earlier this year. He hardly ever plays and if you watched the Man City match you’ll realise what he brings to the team. Are you some sort of fascist? I suggest you look at our history because most of our great teams were made up of Scottish, Irish, Welsh and English player and are you seriously telling me players like John Barnes didn’t know what playing for Liverpool was about? You’re talking absolute nonsense.

I forgot Agger’s dire and Alonso hasn’t got any quality. You’ve completely overreacted to a draw here; I’d go as far as saying you’re not a Liverpool supporter. Constructive criticism is welcomed, utter  like this is not, I usually accept a difference of opinion, but not when they are complete  like this, and do you even believe what you’re typing?

If you can’t stick by Liverpool through the bad times, go and support another club.

Read the post again before you start :censored: blabbering!! I never said nationality was an issue. I simply said most of our foreign players bar Kuyt, Riise, Alonso and Sissoko are not up for the battle of the Prem. I'm giving my opinion, i'm entitled to it. I was at the Man C game on Saturday and it was the poorest LFC game i've been at out of 11. I dont get to many games because of where i live. Like you said, our past sides have been made up of British or Irish players and that brought us success. Thats the reason i suggested Rafa bring in more British or Irish players rather than buying players who dont suit the premiership. Where in my post did I say Alonso has no quality? NOWHERE!! I would give Agger a few years, he is up and comming and looks a good prospect. Fowler isnt the player we sold 5 years ago. Finnan hasnt been as good this year as previous seasons. Sami is too slow, Zenden isnt good enuff and Garcia is poor also. I hate criticising my own team but when every season we think its finally goin to be our year we :censored: up. I simply stated i wanted Rafa to invest in quality British or Irish players like SWP or Defoe rather than bringing in poor players such as Zenden, Garcia etc.. I havnt simply over-reacted to a draw, I have been watching Liverpool since is was 6, i'm now 17, and this season when we were expected to challenge for the league, we falter. I really think its time we invested in British and Irish talent......this isnt a bad reaction to a draw, its just my honest opinion!

There isnt enough quality british players around.  The best players play at the top  clubs and cost big money.  We need better players but I dont care where they are from.  We just need better players.  I dont think fight has anything to do with it.  Just need more quality.
puroresu

Postby Aaron » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:34 am

There isnt enough quality british players around.  The best players play at the top  clubs and cost big money.  We need better players but I dont care where they are from.  We just need better players.  I dont think fight has anything to do with it.  Just need more quality.

I agree we need better players, wherever they are from but the are quality British and Irish players about. Defoe, SWP, Reo-Coker, A Ferdinand, King, Duff, Keane, Owen etc..These are all players capable of playing for Liverpool. They are also in our price range
City 'till I Die
Aaron

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:39 am

Duff? - He plays like his surname
Owen? - how many games has he played in the last 18 m,onths?
Ferdinand or King? - u think they are better than agger and carragher and take in the 15mill plus they would each cost
SWP - a money grabbing fool who hasnt scored in the premiership in 2 seasons
Reo Coker - just what would he add?
Keane and Defoe - maybe, but i like our strike force

I would say that Barton is playing well and continually scoring tho
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:06 am

If Adambarrett says were bad we must have been dire. Thankfully I never managed to get a stream and M.O.T.D. were kind and didn't show much apart from Gerrard's chances. At least we kept another clean sheet. We just need to get more men in the box and start scoring a few goals and everything will come good.

At least we got a point, it could have been worse.
account deleted by request

Postby azriahmad » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:16 am

I got the game live but I missed this one as it was shown in the wee hours of the morning 2:30 am and I was knackered from a heavy work week...I read that we created numerous chances while Pompey were content to just defend as they were having injury problems.

The result was disappointing. :(
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mikopool » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:35 am

dawson99 wrote:so come on everyoone, whats the deal?

motivation problems?
lack of quality?
lack of passion?
Captain not doing his job?
manager not doing his job?
fans not doing there job?

all of the above?

Lack of passion, I think for the first time in years people actually expected us to be the Liverpool we should be, and the players took a little to kindly to that. " we are a force so we can just muck about and not give a :censored: it will just work itself out " I think the fact that our last three games have been dominated by 60 minutes of passing backwards and 30 minutes of passing the buck on other players to get it done is killing us. Teams that play well and dominate and create chances drive forward, they put there head down and charge at teams, make them uneasy make them hoof it down the feild because they can't handle the pressure, and teams that look like they are waiting for something to happen does not accomplish the aformentioned. Liverpool needs an injection of pride, the players with something to prove step up, and right now it looks like they only want to live up to last seasons expectations, we are an amazing club full of talent, but no one seems to want to prove it. Complacency is a bitch.
" Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I don't like this attitude, I can assure them, its much more serious then that "

- Billy Shanks.

For life.
mikopool

Postby A.B. » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:05 am

Let's not forget that the following players are injured:

-Alonso
-Sissoko
-Aurelio
-Gonzalez
-Zenden
-Warnock
-Kewell

I mean what you saw on the field is all that we have left of the squad at the moment. We don't have many options now.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby alxy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:23 am

That's still no excuse not to play with passion. Look at Manure. Man for man, I think we're as good, if not better than them. But they play well as a unit. Our players seem to think the Premiership is a chore, while the main thing is Europe. This attitude has to change. This is disappointing because I really expect us to challenge at least Manure come later part of the season.

Manure have the team to win the Premiership, but NOT the squad. They are playing well now, but once injuries or fatigue or loss of form come into play, then they will start to drop points. That's why we have to be close enough to take advantage. Not Chelski though, they have the squad to go the distance.

And the sad part is I think we too have the squad to do it. Just that we aren't clicking somehow. Still, there is room for optimism. Just not this year I guess, unless things start picking up soon.
alxy

Postby A.B. » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:30 am

alxy wrote:That's still no excuse not to play with passion. Look at Manure. Man for man, I think we're as good, if not better than them. But they play well as a unit. Our players seem to think the Premiership is a chore, while the main thing is Europe. This attitude has to change. This is disappointing because I really expect us to challenge at least Manure come later part of the season.

Manure have the team to win the Premiership, but NOT the squad. They are playing well now, but once injuries or fatigue or loss of form come into play, then they will start to drop points. That's why we have to be close enough to take advantage. Not Chelski though, they have the squad to go the distance.

And the sad part is I think we too have the squad to do it. Just that we aren't clicking somehow. Still, there is room for optimism. Just not this year I guess, unless things start picking up soon.

We don't have a squad at the moment, we have about 13 or 14 players and some of them aren't even first choice or senior players.

Too many injuries in our key positions on the park.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:51 am

Pompey are a tough team and we had a lot of injuries obviously. Still it's a disappointing result considering our closest rivals lost ground. But we are very close now to 3rd place.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:59 am

alxy wrote:That's still no excuse not to play with passion. Look at Manure. Man for man, I think we're as good, if not better than them. But they play well as a unit. Our players seem to think the Premiership is a chore, while the main thing is Europe. This attitude has to change. This is disappointing because I really expect us to challenge at least Manure come later part of the season.

I aint sure about that.  They have rooney, ronaldo, scholes, giggs, saha as attacking front.  Thats pace, creativity, flair, guile and goals.
puroresu

Postby mattylfc » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:15 am

Yet another frustarting evening. Obviously we had injury problems but in reality JC in CM was the only real change, everyone else would prob have been playing anyway. I still expected us to have enough in the locker to beat Portsmouth.  Its a shame that we couldnt take this opportunity to pick up some momentum and climb the table.

Seems like the same old problems.  The main being no attacking threat.  Its always going to be difficult against a team set on defending for 90mins and it doesnt help when we have two wide men having stinkers and failing to deliver.
You look at the team and you do start to wonder where the goals are going to come from.  Kuyt, Crouch and Gerrard seem the only players likely to score at the moment, thats when they get the supply.

Garcia generally looks dangerous but has missed some sitters since his return from injury.  Other than that where else will the goals come from?  Pennant is never going to score, even players like Riise who normally chip in with a few goals doesnt look like getting on the scoresheet.

I know it is something that has been mentioned in previous threads but it made me think about it even more last night when i saw Ronaldo, Evra and O'Shea get on the scoresheet for manure. 

Its quite worrying to think that we cant break teams down. The likes of Portsmouth must find us so predictable, they come and get eleven men behind the ball and say 'come on, try and break us down'.  Most games like this turn into training exercises with attack against defense and unfortunately we lack so much in this situation. 

Something must change if we want to move forward as a team.  Whether its tactics, formation, or personell, its clear that it just isnt happening at the moment.  We dont even look like scoring from set-pieces at the moment.
mattylfc

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion