LIVERPOOL vs PORTO - CL 28/11/07 must win game

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:06 am

redtrader74 wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Very, very pleased with the result.  We utterly dominated the game until we conceded and then it all went a little pear-shaped.  The nerves were jangling and nothing was quite coming off.  Then, out of nothing Torres produces the magic and pulls it out of the fire for us again.  That's ten goals now for those that like to keep tabs on the numbers and he could easily be on 15 or so by now if he'd had his shooting boots on every match.  Absolutely outstanding clutch performer.  Well made up for Crouchy as well--always love to see him on the score sheet. 

So, not a completely convincing performance all told but a gutsy one.  In the end, we were able to canter home which suggests that the quality is returning.  Roll on Sunday!

Oh, and Ivor mentioned it earlier but it bears repeating: Quaresma showed tonight why he's not good enough to play for us.  An utterly underwhelming performance, for me.  We need someone of the quality and character of Torres to come in.  Quaresma has neither on tonight's evidence.

When its us we're told that we were unconvincing, but it reminded me of many Manu performances, OK overall but with a killer punch near the end.

I was pleased with the build up play throughout the game, we threatened everytime we went forward, it was the final decision that let us down, Torres included, who could have put teamates in twice before he scored. Hyypia cannot cope with playing so many games in a row, exactly why Rafa is allegedly frustrated with the tortoise like pace of business at the Club.

Agreed, mate.  We looked full of ideas all match but things were getting a bit hurried in the final third before Torres' second.  I also thought we had a few too many slack passes in our own half, giving away possession cheaply at times.  Gerrard and Mascherano were both guilty of it and thankfully, we weren't punished for it.

I forgot to mention Kewell's run that led to the second from Torres.  He had the Porto defender back-peddling madly and that set the alarm bells ringing for them.  As a result, their CB dived in a little too vehemently on Torres and got skint.  A great bit of dribbling from Harry and a flash of things to come if the lad can stay fit.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby louiswyp » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:07 am

Hello!! Everyone, I 'am a Chinese. I love LiverpoolFC, the Reds mean red army,which rescue us. I like to share my happiness and our culture with you. I wish you can make freinds with me. You'll never walk alone.  (My English is not very good)

LiverpoolFC son Louis Wang
Last edited by louiswyp on Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
louiswyp

Location: china, sichuan province, sichuan agriculture univercity

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:15 am

I wish I could comment on this match but I cant because I didnt see the bloody thing or hear it, but my god did I try. Tried to listen to five live but the internet cut it off saying it cannot do this over the internet so I dragged the radio up from downstairs and to say the signal was rubbish  would be an understatement. It was ok to start with but went loud then quiet then loud then quiet (this went on for a while) and then what was the liverpool match turned into some opera cack from a station very close to the match one ! so I just turned it off and relied on you folks on here.

Anyway i'll comment on the result instead. Excellent result, seemed to struggle after they equalised but from the sounds of it we did really well not to concede during our off period (wow bet thats never been said by all you sexually frustrated guys out there !) but to walk away with a result like that shows the players are gradually gelling and that rafa is finding a foundation for the team on what to build on.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:48 am

Bad Bob wrote: A great bit of dribbling from Harry and a flash of things to come if the lad can stay fit.

And get picked of course Bob, not forgetting that bit.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skatesy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:10 am

anyone have a link to the goals?
skatesy

Postby Reg » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:12 am

You guys are lucky, its 1.15 in the morning here and its 51st minute and still 1-1  !!! :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:22 am

bigmick wrote:
Bad Bob wrote: A great bit of dribbling from Harry and a flash of things to come if the lad can stay fit.

And get picked of course Bob, not forgetting that bit.

Are you getting at rotation or his ability?

I think neither are a problem at the minute playing wise.

Wadda you think?
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby f9Torres » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:23 am

skatesy wrote:anyone have a link to the goals?

1-0

1-1

2-1

3-1

4-1
f9Torres

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:49 am

Yessicajax wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
Yessicajax wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
Yessicajax wrote:
terrydixon wrote:
Yessicajax wrote:
terrydixon wrote:So nice that we winn this game but we also had to win against Marseille, with a draw we ware out of Champions League.

Nice is also that Werder Bremen won their game against Real Madrid  :)

why is that good...i dont like Werder Bremen.
haha. (they won from ajax ??? )

because im a german ^^

i also hope that psv lose bad time:P
haha.
If they go to the next round..hope psv play against liverpool. Cause liverpool will win then (i believe in that)
:bowdown

ajax , uefa cup?

Nah...Nothing at all:P
hahaha.. Ten Cate was the coach of ajax and he f.ucked everything up.
Next year we will be ther again

ten cate's a good coach

i didnt say he wasnt.. he just :censored: it up in the CL/Uefa.
Now we have a other coach (just for this year but hope he stay) its going all better.
Ten Cate is better as a assistent coach.
Trust me, i love him, he is a real Amsterdam Guy and looks like he is always stoned:P

oh , he;s prob high on weed or smth
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:52 am

username wrote:ok, according to the champions league thing http://www.footballtables.net if Besiktas beat Porto, and we draw to Marsaille with anything but a 0-0, we will go through

knew that caluclator wud be useful
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:03 am

Bad Bob wrote:
redtrader74 wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Very, very pleased with the result.  We utterly dominated the game until we conceded and then it all went a little pear-shaped.  The nerves were jangling and nothing was quite coming off.  Then, out of nothing Torres produces the magic and pulls it out of the fire for us again.  That's ten goals now for those that like to keep tabs on the numbers and he could easily be on 15 or so by now if he'd had his shooting boots on every match.  Absolutely outstanding clutch performer.  Well made up for Crouchy as well--always love to see him on the score sheet. 

So, not a completely convincing performance all told but a gutsy one.  In the end, we were able to canter home which suggests that the quality is returning.  Roll on Sunday!

Oh, and Ivor mentioned it earlier but it bears repeating: Quaresma showed tonight why he's not good enough to play for us.  An utterly underwhelming performance, for me.  We need someone of the quality and character of Torres to come in.  Quaresma has neither on tonight's evidence.

When its us we're told that we were unconvincing, but it reminded me of many Manu performances, OK overall but with a killer punch near the end.

I was pleased with the build up play throughout the game, we threatened everytime we went forward, it was the final decision that let us down, Torres included, who could have put teamates in twice before he scored. Hyypia cannot cope with playing so many games in a row, exactly why Rafa is allegedly frustrated with the tortoise like pace of business at the Club.

Agreed, mate.  We looked full of ideas all match but things were getting a bit hurried in the final third before Torres' second.  I also thought we had a few too many slack passes in our own half, giving away possession cheaply at times.  Gerrard and Mascherano were both guilty of it and thankfully, we weren't punished for it.

I forgot to mention Kewell's run that led to the second from Torres.  He had the Porto defender back-peddling madly and that set the alarm bells ringing for them.  As a result, their CB dived in a little too vehemently on Torres and got skint.  A great bit of dribbling from Harry and a flash of things to come if the lad can stay fit.

rada stuck with his faith in kewell , and look it paid off , hope he does this more , he maybe solution for the problem on our left flank , dissapointing perfromance babel till he reverted to the right side .. benayoun did well in the 1st half then was guilty of giving away possession
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rimetto_ » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:12 am

NANNY RED wrote:Actually got a lump in me throat tonight when the players were coming out some of them were touching the This is Anfield sign as the were going past did anyone see Rafa raise both his hands up and touch it . He really :censored: loves this club

Yeah i watched all the players touch it and thought that was good to see that even the new players have been told about touching it on the way out.

But when RAFA raised both hands and touched the sign i like you felt choked and also thought there is no way on this earth Liverpool can let this special man leave our club.

RAFA is the true Special ONE !!!!!

Rafa Rafael Rafa Rafael Rafa Rafael Rafael Benitez
Rimetto_

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:34 am

WTF is Benayoun like ? Muppet....Forget the two goals against Besiktas. The muppet did nothing last night. Reminds me of one Robbie Keane whining and moaning at the ref when someone takes the ball off him, or when they sneeze on him....He ain't LFC quality.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby club_Levis » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:51 am

bunglemark2 wrote:WTF is Benayoun like ? Muppet....Forget the two goals against Besiktas. The muppet did nothing last night. Reminds me of one Robbie Keane whining and moaning at the ref when someone takes the ball off him, or when they sneeze on him....He ain't LFC quality.

Shocking post. :no
club_Levis

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:52 am

In the th read earlier I stated we should still win this at half time, but come 20 minutes into the second half I was having doubts. We were pretty ordinary up until Torres scored I thought, Gerrard wasnt really in the match and gave a few sloppy passes away that could of led to Porto goals, thankfully for us they never, same to with Hyypia, the sloppy pass he gave away in the first half was pretty poor.
Porto did seem to have a lot of space also on the counter, Mascha covered the grass well but we were left unexposed at times. Typical if you need the win and pushing on, the defence never really ventured any further than 15 yards outside our own box. As if we'd have played a higher line Hyypia could well of been caught out for pace, the distance between defence and midfield at times was huge for us. Usually its a lot tighter, but the midfields onus seemed mainly on helping out our forwards finding the goal needed.

For me it was Kewell who turned the game, nothing amazing but it was his run and endevour that set-up Torres for a brilliant finnish. I thought the ref throughout the game gave them a fair few decisions, and was happy to see him award us the penalty and rightly so. From then on we were home and dry, and with Crouch to netting the fourth it capped off an ordinary nights performance, with a brilliant result.

Happy days.
66-1112520797

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion