LIVERPOOL VS MARSEILLE - 26th november - ko 19:45

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red_guy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:44 am

Good result but average display.....maybe rafa  wants all the players to save their energy , determination etc for premiership games i.e west ham?  maybe ...maybe not. :p
Last edited by red_guy on Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:49 am

Koptite wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:
RedBen wrote:How's Dossena playing?

:laugh:  :laugh: Put it this way Ben hes fat an bald that is all .
That lad was going :censored: nowhere then an Dossena worst defender ive ever seen in a red shirt in 40 years .

Dossena out bring back Traore  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I'm with you Dossena out, bring Djimi 'zidane' traore back!!!  :p
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Koptite » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:54 am

maybe we could get a petition going :D
Koptite

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:55 am

red_guy wrote:
Koptite wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:
RedBen wrote:How's Dossena playing?

:laugh:  :laugh: Put it this way Ben hes fat an bald that is all .
That lad was going :censored: nowhere then an Dossena worst defender ive ever seen in a red shirt in 40 years .

Dossena out bring back Traore    :laugh:

I'm with you Dossena out, bring Djimi 'zidane' traore back!!!  :p

traore wasnt zidane, cheyrou was. traore was desailly or lebeouf if not mistaken  :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Bam » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:15 pm

We had 51% possession. The problem was not "getting a foot on the ball", the problem was when Liverpool had the ball they fücked away aimlessly

I'm not going to split hairs with you here, but when I meant foot on the ball I mean stringing a few passes together. Getting our midfield to dictate the tempo of the play and have control over ninety minutes. We didnt do that, and I think you'll find that come the second half we only had 46% of possesion. Even so our problem last night wasnt the fact we couldnt break Marseille down, before we even contemplate breaking Marseille down, we needed to get a foothold in the game by getting on the ball and dominating and keeping possesion better than we did.

And we couldnt even do that.

Still we did score a goal against a better side than Fulham and only played one upfront. :p

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby tonyeh » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:23 pm

...but when I meant foot on the ball I mean stringing a few passes together.

Ah ok. I agree with you so. Yes, passing was bloody awful and not for the first time either.

Still we did score a goal against a better side than Fulham and only played one upfront. :p

Hmmm...unfortunately, it wasn't "the one" upfront who scored.
tonyeh

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:30 pm

The only positive I take from last night is the result. Apart from that it was terrible. We were playing a team who are struggling domestically (so much so that they got booed off at the weekend) and yet in the second half they completely played us off the park.

You can't blame the manager for last night. That was pretty much our best side that started the game and yet players who are normally so reliable in keeping the ball such as Alonso and Riera, just kept giving it back to the opposition. Defensively we were all over the place in the second half aswell.

By the end I was just relieved it was over. We need a big performance in Eindhoven now otherwise we'll finish 2nd and end up playing Barcelona, Inter, Juventus, Lyon or Bayern in the next round.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bam » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:35 pm

Hmmm...unfortunately, it wasn't "the one" upfront who scored.

Doesnt matter, it was the system. None of our two strikers scored on Saturday.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:07 pm

In fairness lads, our CL performance always takes a dip in Nov/Dec then we need a miracle to qualify etc.. so by usual standards we´re doing well this season !
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:12 pm

Also, Lucas was sh#te last night :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Koptite » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:21 pm

stmichael wrote:Also, Lucas was sh#te last night :D

hahaha he was only on for the last 5mins.....agree with you tho he has been :censored:!!!  :D
Koptite

Postby Reg » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:48 pm

UEFA study reports of missle-throwing in Marseille

UEFA will today study reports on the missile-throwing incident involving Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard at Anfield on Tuesday. 

Gerrard was hit by missiles thrown from the Marseille fans' section as he waited to take a corner in the first half of Liverpool's 1-0 victory that took them into the last 16 of the Champions League.

UEFA last night confirmed the incident will be included in Portuguese referee Olegario Benquerenca's report as well as the report from UEFA delegate Svein Johannessen.

Gerrard, who scored Liverpool's winner in the 1-0 victory over the French side, looked to have been hit by a small metal object.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez praised Gerrard's restraint in a month that has seen Chelsea's Didier Drogba punished by the FA for throwing a coin back into the crowd when the west Londoners lost in the Carling Cup to Burnley.

A Liverpool spokesman said: ''The UEFA delegate is aware of what happened to Steven and it is now in his hands.''

A spokesman for UEFA at the game said: ''The incident will be included in both the match delegate's report and the referee's report.

''UEFA are aware of what happened and any further comment will now come from them.''

It is also believed UEFA are aware the missiles came from the Marseille fans' enclosure, and any action will not involve Liverpool.

Benitez said: ''Gerrard was really good in that incident, maybe the UEFA delegate will notice what happened. Steven did well not to react.''

Gerrard scored his 30th European goal, and fifth in this season's competition.

Benitez added: ''Gerrard is a very, very good attacking midfielder, a very important player for us and his goal proved this.''

Liverpool did not play well, but are again through to the knockout stages. Benitez said: ''It is really important that we qualified for the next stage; we won and now we can approach the final game in a different way without any pressures.

''It was a strange game, we scored and controlled it, but they attacked and we were left to hit on the counter-attack.

''We could not find the final pass. The game was too open against a team with pace and ability.

''They came to attack and had three strikers and two more just behind. To contain five players with pace and ability is not easy.

''Our final pass, though, to (Fernando) Torres was too quick. We must work on that but the main thing was to win and to qualify, and we are very pleased.

''We knew they have good players, with pace and ability. They could be very dangerous if we did not control the ball. And that is what happened, they had space to run into and they were always a threat.

''We must improve our possession and to keep the ball and pass it better, we were giving the ball away too easily.''

Marseille boss Erik Gerets was pleased with his side's performance, and said: ''We could have come away with more, we had problems in the first 20 minutes but after that we played a good game and got into it. We had chances, and it was a good fight until the end.

''The Champions League is over now, but the youngsters have learned from this group. We have done well apart from one bad performance against PSV.

''It is still possible to get into the UEFA Cup after PSV's defeat by Atletico Madrid. We still have everything to play for, we will have a fiery encounter against Madrid in our last game in this group.''
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:31 pm

stmichael wrote:The only positive I take from last night is the result. Apart from that it was terrible. We were playing a team who are struggling domestically (so much so that they got booed off at the weekend) and yet in the second half they completely played us off the park.

You can't blame the manager for last night. That was pretty much our best side that started the game and yet players who are normally so reliable in keeping the ball such as Alonso and Riera, just kept giving it back to the opposition. Defensively we were all over the place in the second half aswell.

By the end I was just relieved it was over. We need a big performance in Eindhoven now otherwise we'll finish 2nd and end up playing Barcelona, Inter, Juventus, Lyon or Bayern in the next round.

What went wrong? The team  looked fantastic on paper and apart from one decent cross from Arbeloa that resulted in Gerrards well taken goal it was an awful night! Was it the shock of a team actually trying to win at Anfield that came as a shock to Liverpool.

Difficult to pick out more than a couple of players who had a half decent game. Just hope it was a blip. Really thought before the game that we have thrashed them...... Oh well
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:34 pm

devaney wrote:
stmichael wrote:The only positive I take from last night is the result. Apart from that it was terrible. We were playing a team who are struggling domestically (so much so that they got booed off at the weekend) and yet in the second half they completely played us off the park.

What went wrong? The team  looked fantastic on paper and apart from one decent cross from Arbeloa that resulted in Gerrards well taken goal it was an awful night! Was it the shock of a team actually trying to win at Anfield that came as a shock to Liverpool.

Difficult to pick out more than a couple of players who had a half decent game. Just hope it was a blip. Really thought before the game that we have thrashed them...... Oh well

The cross came from Alonso, mate.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby LegBarnes » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:35 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
devaney wrote:

The cross came from Alonso, mate.

Yeh I was thinking I didn't know he could cross the ball that well maybe when we play gerrard and masch in midfield play alonso right mid maybe he could turn into a bit of a beckham ?
Last edited by LegBarnes on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion