LIVERPOOL VS MARSEILLE - 26th november - ko 19:45

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rush Job » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:16 am

JBG wrote:
DanAn wrote:Should be play an ultra attacking team against PSV in an effort to get some goals?

Maybe 433 with;

Keane Torres Kuyt
Riera Alonso Gerrard
Aurelio Agger Carra Arbeloa

Unlikely but it would be fun to watch

Wil likely be a mix of reserves with a few first teamers against PSV.

I could see Benayoun, Lucas, Hyppia, Pennant, Degen and Dossena all playing.

I dont think so, its a game we have to win if we are to win the group.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Quadrophenia » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:28 am

JBG wrote:
DanAn wrote:Should be play an ultra attacking team against PSV in an effort to get some goals?

Maybe 433 with;

Keane Torres Kuyt
Riera Alonso Gerrard
Aurelio Agger Carra Arbeloa

Unlikely but it would be fun to watch

Wil likely be a mix of reserves with a few first teamers against PSV.

I could see Benayoun, Lucas, Hyppia, Pennant, Degen and Dossena all playing.

You'll be massively lucky to see Sami get a game as he isn't registered in our Champions League squad.
We are the Mods
We are the Mods
We are
We are
We are the Mods
Quadrophenia

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:13 am

i missed the match last night and ive read pages 14-7 and what happened? we lost or drew?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:16 am

ok i just checked soccernet. we won 1-0, had 6 shots and commited 21 fouls.
the reaction on here its as if they beat us.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:49 am

A good result.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:51 am

tonyeh wrote:
Reg wrote:
tonyeh wrote:Very disappointed and another indication that Liverpool have some serious problems breaking down teams.

Thats why we shelled out 20 million for Keane.......  :kungfu:

Mmmmm and that hasn't worked out too well so far. But tonight is another showcase on why I am against Liverpool playing with a single striker up front, even if it is Torres. They just end up getting  completely eliminated.

exactly , torres works better as a lone striker but like i too have said 1 striker against 4 defenders ? Rafa should play two and get them gelling again like they were beginning too , everton game . Torres should start scoring from his next game , i think he's got enough of match fitness . West ham up next , 2 upfront with keane and torres please .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:00 am

Despite the result alarm bells are on the horizon for me, though we're grinding out results our performances seem to be getting worse if anything. I think we are in the middle of a blip even though we're winning the odd game here drawing one there and so on. i dont know if this has stemmed back from the Tottenham result, but tonight we looked very ordinary.

Second half was ran by Marseille and how many times do you say that about teams coming to Anfield, even if Bullard and Murphy bossed the midfield on Saturday. Marseille pretty much bossed the game tonight and it was quite perplexing to see that not one of our players in the second half could put their foot on the ball and get some rythm going. Even Alonso wasnt able to "dictate" the tempo f\of the game, and Mascha IMO has had a dip in form over the last 4-5 games aswell. His form has coinsided with our performances as of late, also Riera looks as though he's becoming a perphial figure during resent displays.

It wasnt  a good performance. we need an emphatic win against our next opponents (WH) a good footballing display is whats needed. IMO we've rode our luck a little in the CL, the 94th minute penalty against Atletico and now this result. Things could of been a lot worse and we have looked once or twice in danger of letting our chances slide away.

In saying that, I dont think us getting knocked out in the next round will be such a bad thing. It maybe a blessing in disguise in actuall fact. We now know we dont have the strength and depth to certainly give both the CL and the Prem proper challenges, and although I begrudge loosing  atall I dont think it would be such a bad thing. I just cant see this squad capable enough of fighting on both fronts.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Bam » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:05 am

BTW Rafa did the right thing in dropping Keane.
Its not that we "couldnt break down " Marseille thats wrong in saying that. We couldnt break down Fulham at the weekend with two uptop. But tonight we couldnt even get \our foot on the ball let or lone start any decent attacks.

Our form is a worry.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby dame » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:11 am

.....efficient win last nite.

We did not need to step up a gear and get 3 pts. Should be fresh in coming weekend.

Read commentary that chelsea played very poor last nite against Bordeaux. Guess they are saving energy for clash with Arsenal this weekend. Arsenal one more resting day than chelsea.

Reina, limited test, flap at a corner though
Arbeloa, ok solid, correct pass to Alonso leads to the goal
Carra, some desparate defending in 2H, CB pair need improve
Agger, our CB were beaten by OM in the air last nite
Aurelio, ok solid in 1H
Kuyt, good header in 1H and win a goalmouth duet in 2H
Masch, poor, many unforced errors
Alonso, quality cross, direct flow in deep, good
Riera, tricky enuf to cause chaos, quality cross just b4 his sub
Gerrard, ok, winning header
Torres, below his best, his presence alone scare defence

Dossena, unwise challenge on edge penalty area, block a shot in the face of goal, too slow to handle small-trick attackers 
Benayoun, nothing wrong
Lucas, nothing wrong
dame

Postby Owzat » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:27 am

Toffeehater wrote:
tonyeh wrote:
Reg wrote:
tonyeh wrote:Very disappointed and another indication that Liverpool have some serious problems breaking down teams.

Thats why we shelled out 20 million for Keane.......  :kungfu:

Mmmmm and that hasn't worked out too well so far. But tonight is another showcase on why I am against Liverpool playing with a single striker up front, even if it is Torres. They just end up getting  completely eliminated.

exactly , torres works better as a lone striker but like i too have said 1 striker against 4 defenders ? Rafa should play two and get them gelling again like they were beginning too , everton game . Torres should start scoring from his next game , i think he's got enough of match fitness . West ham up next , 2 upfront with keane and torres please .

The problem is Torres hasn't been in as magnificent form as last season, whether that's down to injury problems or because people are trying to make the Torres-Keane partnership work or something completely different is a question I'm not sure anyone can truly answer.

It's funny how people are knocking one up front and mentioning how one striker against four defenders is somehow a problem. Was it a problem for the tail end of last season? No. Neither was Torres' form in question, funny coincidence that.

Disappointing performance and result, another scraped win. That's our fifth 1-0 win of the season, I was thinking perhaps that would be a negative thing but our best season featured the most 1-0 wins

Liverpool 1-0 wins under Rafa

04/05 : 6 in 60 games (10.00%)
05/06 : 12 in 62 games (19.35%)
06/07 : 6 in 58 games (10.34%)
07/08 : 5 in 59 games (8.47%)
08/09 : 5 in 23 games (21.74%)

By the way, our next win will be our 150th in all competitions under Rafa.

Who to play next CL game? We should go all out for goals, PSV look a poor side, that said they did beat Marseille 2-0 at home which is better than our result last night. I think they can still reach the UEFA spot (bl**dy UEFA) so the game has some meaning to both sides. The other thing to consider is our fixtures either side, we might like to finish top but I don't think it is essential and I'd rather not potentially sacrifice league points just for that privilege.

06/12 Blackburn (a)
09/12 PSV (a)
13/12 Hull (h)

Not worried about the subsequent fixture so much, although Hull have scared the mancs at old trafford, drawn with citeh, and won both at Arsenal and Tottenham. Chelsea won 3-0 at the KFC stadium, I'm guessing we may not even manage that at home given current form. We should be looking at nine points from those two league games and West Ham this weekend, it's Arsenal away after that.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:16 am

i was at the game last nigt, we looked great in the first half but we was so holding on in the 2nd half.
you all see the game on tv  so you know that but one thing i did see first hand was how slow Torres looked in the 2nd half
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:48 am

lakes10 wrote:i was at the game last nigt, we looked great in the first half but we was so holding on in the 2nd half.
you all see the game on tv  so you know that but one thing i did see first hand was how slow Torres looked in the 2nd half

If you're right about that Lakes thats possibly one of two things.

1) One his fitness (which I doubt)

2) He's holding back because of his Hamstring, this isnt a good sign. He obviously isnt confident the Hamstring has recovered properly and wont push his gate rate that extra 15%. If there is doubt in his mind, that isnt a good sign. Maybe he should of come off in the 70th minute or something, as fatigue sets in and muscles tire thats when you're prone to injuring yourself.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby tonyeh » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:08 am

Bam wrote:BTW Rafa did the right thing in dropping Keane.
Its not that we "couldnt break down " Marseille thats wrong in saying that. We couldnt break down Fulham at the weekend with two uptop. But tonight we couldnt even get \our foot on the ball let or lone start any decent attacks.

Our form is a worry.

We had 51% possession. The problem was not "getting a foot on the ball", the problem was when Liverpool had the ball they fücked away aimlessly.

The commentary on Irish television last night have it spot on I think. They said it seems to be a managerial policy at the club to immediately hoof the ball up the field and NOT to hold onto possession. They showed a number of instances at half time where Liverpool players just belted the ball and not even in the general direction of a teammate.

It's clear, when you see a number of instances back to back, that Liverpool have a very serious problem passing the ball forward and it results in an extremely poor attacking ability.

Dirk Kuyt is particular sinful in this regard. When he gets the ball, usually either he'll pass it square, or back. But when he actually tries to get the ball forward, he fails to find a teammate time and time again even with simple 5 yarders.

Mascherano, too, was unbelievably bad last night and couldn't complete a pass to save his life. But overall, the midfield created very little again in the game.

Liverpool's main problem at the moment is needlessly giving away the ball and then spending most of the game chasing it down again.
tonyeh

Postby Koptite » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:30 am

Good result in the end but seconde half we were :censored:......i missed the first half, what was Dossena doing on the pitch....what happend to aurellio?
Koptite

Postby Koptite » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:34 am

NANNY RED wrote:
RedBen wrote:How's Dossena playing?

:laugh:  :laugh: Put it this way Ben hes fat an bald that is all .
That lad was going :censored: nowhere then an Dossena worst defender ive ever seen in a red shirt in 40 years .

Dossena out bring back Traore  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Koptite

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion