Liverpool vs kaunas 2nd leg - Goals galore hopefully!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:21 am

On a serious note though i dont think its worth getting to worked up over that performance.

reserve your judgement for when the season really kicks off.
66-1112520797

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:40 am

Bamaga man wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:
NorfolkRed wrote:Yes it wasnt pretty but if every below par performance gave us a 2-0 win i think i could put up with it :)

Are you always that easily satisfied?

When I expect to be served a juicy T.Bone steak I'm usually pi'ssed off when I'm given a dried up pork chop.

:D

Do you often get dried up pork chops when asking for a juicy T-bone steak  ?
You do have a problem then.
Theres only one solution then.

D.I.Y     :D

To borrow an old quote  "When i want your opinion,I'll give it to you "    :D

I'm not getting too worked up about our performance ,just making some quiet observation ,and although the league programme hasn't started yet ,for me the season has already kicked off .  :nod   :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:44 am

2520years wrote:I just hope Middlesbrough don't completely shock us with the sort of quality we've not played so far.

i live in middlesbrough mate and to be perfectly honest the boro fans are really pessimistic about the coming season. infact the fans of the north east clubs in general are feeling suicidal :D
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:09 pm

Woof shouldnt that be" when i want your opinion,i shall ask for it"

Christ ,i would hate to be your cook  :D
66-1112520797

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:22 pm

Bamaga man wrote:Woof shouldnt that be" when i want your opinion,i shall ask for it"

:no  No

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby azriahmad » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:41 pm

Liverpool were playing at 3rd gear at the most, as the job was half done going into the game and there was no piont going at full throttle and risk injuries. This was exactly as I had envisioned earlier.

Let the doomsaters say wht they like, we got the job done on the night.

Whitbread did well, as did Warnock. Potter did show good skill in taking a pass down with one touch but really, he is no right sided wide player because he can't cross adequately. Nando did not do much to convince and Crouch got some hamstring injuty, I think. He can link-up well with a quick partner but Nando is not ideal for him.

Before Stevie G came on as the 3rd and lust sub, the tv showed glimpses of him, Alonso and Riise all warming up quite vigorously as if all of them wanted to compete to come on and get a piece of the action. It's nice to see such enthusiasm, perhaps either of them wanted to come on and break the dead lock.

The only thing is that it takes the presence of Gerrard or Alonso to give the team that extra spark, but seriously the team needs to be more productive even without these players and especially when the opposition is a class lower.

The optimist in me wants to believe that they will improve with more competitive and fitness conditioning.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:46 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:Woof shouldnt that be" when i want your opinion,i shall ask for it"

:no  No

Dear oh dear.  :D

Watched last night's game. It was utterly forgetable which means what it says on the tin: it was utterly forgetable and in no way an indication of the overall progress of the team.

My own assessement of the game is as follows, player by player:

Scott Carson: had very little to do but looks an assured keeper and could pass for a man 10 years his senior.

Steve Finnan: was brighter than most, although still not at his best. Did well defensively and got forward a lot.

Steven Warnock: tough as nails with a bit of fire in his belly. Did very well defensively, but was could have done better going forward and was a bit conservative with his use of the ball.

Sammi Hyppia: Below par. Didn't have much to do but made some elementary mistakes in his box, such as the misplaced pass/clearance early in the second half. Got up well for his header off the crossbar, but needs to step things up if he's going to keep his place.

Zak Whitbred: looked very good at times. Is calm and assured and not afraid to use the ball. Can hit some great balls down the right channel. Needs a bit more brute force and needs to work on his strength, as he was brushed off the ball by a Kaunus player mid way through the second half. Could have a bright future if he keeps plugging away.

Did Hamman: disapointing game from Didi, who doesn't look 100% fit. Was a bit sluggish at times and did not dictate the pace.

Momo Sissoko: very promising game. Is big and strong and very athletic, but with what looks like a decent footballing brain and has a reasonable touch. I can see why he has been likened to Vieira. Went off the boil a bit in the second half. Looks the spit of MTV's Trevor Nelson!

Bolo Zenden: disapointing in the first half, where he wasted some good possession, much brighter in the second. Bolo is not a Ryan Giggs/Sean Wright Phillips/Damien Duff type winger which uses a combination of trickery and raw pace to cause problems. Bolo is closer to Robert Pires in that he has a good footballing brain but is not blessed with pace.

Luis Garcia: hugely frustrating. Doesn't look 100% fit yet and lacked sharpness, and rarely strayed from the periphery of the game.

Peter Crouch: did ok, but nothing spectacular before his injury. Will cause problems with his size.

Nando Morientes: still lacks sharpness and his lack of pace is a concern. Had some nice touches and has a brilliant spring in him, but he needs to step things up a few gears.

Subs:
Darren Potter: wasn't impressed at all. Lacks agression (especially for a local lad) and has little in the way of strength or power. Has a reasonable rouch but afraid to take chances on the ball. Can't see him ever making an impact.

Djbril Cisse: Looked impressive when he came on. Sharp and pacy, with a powerful shot. Getting better in the air as well, particularly when he comes back to win headers in midfield. Took his goal very well (watch it on reply, the way he adjusted his kicking leg is very good) and Cisse now has 3 goals in his last 3 games. If he keeps fit he will come good this season.

Steven Gerrard: made a huge impact when he came on. His runs into the box remind one of a Thierry Henry or Ronaldo: pure power and pace. Looks more focused lately and his body language is better than last season. Looked genuinely happy for Cisse after Djbril scored. Gerrard is going to have a big season for us.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 2520years » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:50 pm

It's fairly typical that the media focussed on Gerard's introduction as the turning point.  I think Cisse lifted the tempo before that, and it was only a matter of time until we scored anyway.  I don't want to take anything away from Stevie, but focussing only on him takes something away from Cisse (who also scored, and his was a shot!)  IMHO it's lazy journalism spending every moment talking up Stevie.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby red_indian » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:07 pm

i think the most worrying aspect of the night was the fact that the team did not play to Rafa's instructions - the Rafalution can only progress correctly if we have the right players to play the right system as Rafa deems right for each game.

so last night before the game Rafa made it clear that with Nando and Crouch on together the idea was to put lots of crosses in - in the event how many crosses actually went in and of that how many were decent?

on the other end how many times did Nando and Crouch look for the same ball?

i agree with gerrard, alonso etc some of these issues get ironed out but if we are successfully going to rotate through the year and play 70 matches those guys need nights off to and should be able to rely upon the others to pick off teams like Kaunas more easily at Anfield than the hard work it seemed like last night!
red_indian

Postby oOShrimpyOo » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:33 pm

"Bolo is closer to Robert Pires in that he has a good footballing brain but is not blessed with pace."

are you sure??? you have it all wrong mate, pires also has bundles of skill and technique, bolo doesnt.
oOShrimpyOo

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:24 pm

oOShrimpyOo wrote:you have it all wrong mate, pires also has bundles of skill and technique, bolo doesnt.

Yeah ,what were the Dutch thinking of handing this fella 53 caps .
:p

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:40 pm

:D :p Good spot that woof.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:41 pm

oOShrimpyOo wrote:"Bolo is closer to Robert Pires in that he has a good footballing brain but is not blessed with pace."

are you sure??? you have it all wrong mate, pires also has bundles of skill and technique, bolo doesnt.

And Bolo did not display good technique and vision with his two through balls to Cisse and Gerrard on the left towards the end of last night's match?

I never said Bolo is as good as Pires, but he's more of a Pires winger than a SWP winger.

Do people actually read posts correctly or are they just thick?  :veryangry
Last edited by JBG on Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby bigmick » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:42 pm

JBG wrote:Bolo is closer to Robert Pires in that he has a good footballing brain but is not blessed with pace.

JBG, Bolo Zenden is no closer to Robert Pires than you are mate. Tony Adams has repeatedly said that Pires is the best player he ever played with, including Henri. Save for a few blokes at his junior school, not many will say that about Bolo. His singular achievement in a Liverpool shirt sofar has been to re-ignite peoples interest into when exactly Kewell fancies having another couple of games.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:43 pm

In answer to your previous question, I must be just think. Oh sorry, silly me I meant thick.  :D
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion