......................reina
finnan....carra............hyypia....riise
...........alonso...........sissoko
pennant.........gerrard...........gonzales
...............crouch/bellamy
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:21 pm

with a midfield and attack like chelsea's it will defo be 4-5-1  same as above ^
Kopite-Jud

Postby Graeme Noble » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:54 pm

I'd go for the following team:       

reina

finnan       hyypia       carragher      riise

pennant    gerrard       alonso       gonzalez

garcia
                        bellamy
Graeme Noble

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:06 am

does anyone know if fowler and aurelio are still injred and out for this game?
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:32 am

Seriously...i want us to win against those bast@rds!!! There's no 'friendly match' against cheatski. We should teach moan-rinho a lesson. Any formation will do as long as we beat them.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheoRacle » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:36 am

stew_the_red wrote:Team:
                    Reina

Finnan   Carragher   Hyypia   Aurellio

Pennant  Sissoko     Alonso     Riise

Crouch      Fowler/Garcia

Keep Gerrard, Bellamy and Gonzo on the bench, shows how little importance we place on the game, and then unleash them on a tired Chelsea in the last 30 mins, 3 players with genuine pace and tenacity.

I like this lineup too but with Aurelio out until the 19th it perhaps highlights a weakness we have regarding depth at left back at this moment in time.  Although I'm a fan of JAR I don't think its harsh to say he's is the weakest link in our back four.

I guess with Agger and Paletta fit and fully integrated into the squad, we could always use Carra to fill in at LB but thats a moot point for Saturday.

I'd be perhaps inclined to play both Pennant and Gonzalez from the start with Bellamy and Garcia in front of Sissoko and Alonso and Warnock at LB.

We know Gerrard will be champing at the bit to come on, and Riise can come on for both Warnock or Speedy if either are struggling. With Zenden, Fowler and Crouch also on the bench Rafa has plenty of 'possibilities' when required.

................Reina................
Finnan...Carra...Hyppia...Warnock
...................Alonso.................
Pennant....Sissoko.........Gonzalez
...................Garcia.................
...............Bellamy...................

Matchups to watch? Warnock vs SWP, Sissoko vs Mikel/Ballack, Pennant vs Bridge, Gonzalez vs Ferreira, Bellamy vs Terry.

Bellamy scored twice and hit the bar against Chelsea last season. If it means anything, 4 current Liverpool players scored nearly 23% of all the premiership goals conceded by Chelsea last season i.e. 5 of the 27.
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:48 am

The match may go to penalties which might prove tricky now Didi's gone. My five :- Gerrard, Riise,Alonso,Carragher and Bellamy. I know 4 have missed in big games but they wont miss again!
account deleted by request

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:08 am

anti-hero wrote:I quite liked Stu's idea of keeping Gerrard and Bellamy and Gonzalez on the bench. Unleashing these monsters on the hour can overwhelme Chelsea.

Sounds good in theory but I think you'll find Chelsea will also have a subs bench .  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:19 pm

GOAT wrote:rafa play a weakened team for this one

you must be joking? if we play a weakened team we'll get stuffed out of sight.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:47 pm

I can't understand why people want to see Gerrard on the left wing.  I know he doesn't really have a weak position but anywhere on the left does not suit him as much as in the middle or on the right.

I wouldn't play Crouch against Chelsea either.  He never does well against them as that horrible Pork and Cheese nob at the back just fouls him and gets away with it.

My team would be...

Reina
Finnan   Carra   Hypia    Risse

Pennant  Momo  Alonso   Gonzales
             Gerrard

Bellamy
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby KopStar » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:52 pm

Best team I have seen above.
KopStar

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:06 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:I can't understand why people want to see Gerrard on the left wing.  I know he doesn't really have a weak position but anywhere on the left does not suit him as much as in the middle or on the right.

I wouldn't play Crouch against Chelsea either.  He never does well against them as that horrible Pork and Cheese nob at the back just fouls him and gets away with it.

My team would be...

Reina
Finnan   Carra   Hypia    Risse

Pennant  Momo  Alonso   Gonzales
             Gerrard

Bellamy

bellamy upfront on his own with gerrard as a second striker doesn't work and never will. wednesday night was evidence of this.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:14 pm

You are not seriously going to make a statement like that after only 1 game?  In fact the first game they have pllayed together competitively.

What happened to giving people a chance to get used to each other and to a new managers tactics.

Please lets give the lads a chance to work things out before we start jumping in with our big size 9's
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby CardinalRed » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:31 pm

St. Micheal's right, the Swede tried it in the World Cup and it's dreadful waste of Stevie's talent..... Let's have the skipper pulling the strings with Xabi and Momo in the middle, don't see why we can't have a bash at 5 in midfield?

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:36 pm

the main problem with gerrard is he doesn't seem to have a natural role in this benitez side. last season, he played on the right simply because we had nobody else and he did a sterling job there, but it's not his natural position, and it's why benitez bought pennant.

the one criticism i have with playing alonso and sissoko is that neither seem too inclined to go forward. gerrard provides the drive we need coming from deep and that's lost when he's pushed further up front.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion