LIVERPOOL VS BENFICA - PRE MATCH DISCUSSION

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Portugal » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:07 pm

GOAT wrote:yeah, not impressed by simao tonight, all i saw was a diving, cheating bas.tard.

Well 1-0 down at half time, its easily turned around, we are the comeback kings these days afterall

lol you didnt know that simao likes diving?
Portugal

Postby johnny b the great » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:07 pm

didn't get to watch the game but Rafa has to rotate the strikers. I still can't root for Cisse to start after that miss at Man U. What we really need are two class strikes. Mori (one of my favorite players, but not working out) should go along with Cisse. Carew from Lyon and kuyt are the two i would go for.
johnny b the great

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:07 pm

it was a foul on hyypia for the goal so stop all the knee jerks will yer?!
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bodyrules » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:08 pm

I think my Benfica coach Koeman approached the game well, we respected Liverpool and put 3 midfielders more defensive and only Nuno Gomes with the wingers Robert and Simão.
Of course we Benfica supporters prefer Karagounis to Beto, the first builds up the attack and has a much better quality of ball touch.
If we would go like crazy on top of you, you would give us the counter attack, although we have a very good defense also.
Football is definitely Passion, Attack, we like to see good plays, but we had to think that it were 180 minutes before the referee started the game, and we played well thinking of the 2nd leg at Anfield, even if it would stay 0-0.
bodyrules

Postby welsh wizzard » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:09 pm

Rafa made a mistake tonight not playing Crouch, Apart from Carra the rest of the team just didn't perform, We should have put this tie tonight to sleep, Against a very poor Benfica team, we let our chance slip. Kewell had a poor game along with Garcia, Alonso was poor with his passing, There was no speed to our game, and long balls to the front two was a bad tactic, I feel we would have got something playing with crouch upfront. But nevermind, Back at  Anfield with our fans drowning them out with a higher tempo game, Benfica won't know what hit them. I'm still confident....To win 2-0 back home..
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Portugal » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/w/Stevie-G-and-Xabi-Interview?v=rCVY1GSwt_I&search=Steven%20Gerrard
Gerrard at the press conference after losing against BENFICA
Portugal

Postby puroresu » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:09 pm

I'm sick of seeing Cisse always wide crossing the ball and their is only 1 player in the box.
puroresu

Postby Feeney » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:09 pm

drummerphil wrote:
Feeney wrote:I will start by saying the 2nd leg will be a different game altogether - we will progress to the next round.

As for this game.....

F*cking p!ss poor TBH - Kewell (2nd half), Garcia, Morientes and Alonso wasteful in possession too often and no impetus to shoot - again! One f*cking stupid mistake cost us and that's what p!sses me off the most - such a cheap goal to concede. We simply switched off - and no-one start with all the 'we are rubbish at set pieces' :censored: - it's simply bo!!ocks.

Benfica were one of the poorest team's i've seen us play in Europe - more so than Leverkusen last year and it baffles me how we haven't come away with a goal when, really, Benfica didn't offer any resisitance - we simply didn't press onto them and make ANY chances.

I hope Rafa absolutely lays into the players as we should be coming back with a result - he know's it as well, his face said it all.

Rest assured, as mentioned at the top of the post, Benfica will suffer at Anfield!  :angry:

personally i thought TNS give us more problems..........how the :censored: did we lose that.

Phil, I think we just need to write this game off as one of them - we've had 2 tough games and TBH i'm glad we chose this one to have a 'mare rather than the other 2. We've got a 'get out of jail' card with having the 2nd leg so we'll see it through.

2 out of 3 ain't bad and all that...  :D

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Portuguese man » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:10 pm

Liverpool i'm portuguese but I'm a big fan of Liverpool and we will win.

Portugal we are the champion of CL and you? :laugh: :laugh:
Portuguese man

Postby davo_LFC » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:10 pm

Disappointing performance tonight coz benfica are a load of sh,ite tbh, we should of imposed our selves on them and got the away goal. Not enough creativity tonight, too careless in possession, garcia was at his frustrating best:angry: -maybe the sissoko injury disrupted us a bit? Am very confident in the lads to twa,t benfica when we get them to anfield so we should progress.

on the strikers, i know we need to use squad rotation and that but i would like us to just stick to 1 partnership for a run of games to see if that helps the scoring problem.
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby drummerphil » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:11 pm

bodyrules wrote:I think my Benfica coach Koeman approached the game well, we respected Liverpool and put 3 midfielders more defensive and only Nuno Gomes with the wingers Robert and Simão.
Of course we Benfica supporters prefer Karagounis to Beto, the first builds up the attack and has a much better quality of ball touch.
If we would go like crazy on top of you, you would give us the counter attack, although we have a very good defense also.
Football is definitely Passion, Attack, we like to see good plays, but we had to think that it were 180 minutes before the referee started the game, and we played well thinking of the 2nd leg at Anfield, even if it would stay 0-0.

you think you played well.........? ???? ???? ??????

for a home team in europe i thought you were t0sser than tósser tim mc'tóss from tóssville........
Last edited by drummerphil on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:11 pm

matrix wrote:never mind the goal...we created fuc.k all the whole game...couldnt believe the striker selection  mori should never have started on current form,  would have loved to see cisse/crouch with fowler...im sick and tired of people saying how great he was at monaco and madrid, all that matters is now...

well, on the one hand I admire Rafa for giving Morientes the opportunity that he has done, but nowhere else in the team is that luxury afforded anyone and it is time it stopped. Arguably by keeping him in the team to allow him a chance to find his rhythm, he is hindering the other strikers from achieving the same goal.

I can't help thinking that he is getting a little more leeway than some of the other forwards as he was a fairly high profile Rafa signing.

Given the handful that he appears to be for each team he has faced, I think Crouch should have a regular spot and our other strikers play off him.

I can't see Cisse partnering anyone else as he has schooled at the Baros Academy of Sport and often is oblivious to his entire surroundings....but he could be lethal off of Crouch's head. He's the only pace we have

I'm biased though....I just want Robbie to shine.
Homebooby

Postby HantsRed » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:11 pm

Simao did nothing tonight. I'm glad we didn't spend £12m on him.
He's a lightweight and too much of a coward for the Premiership. And he's a cheating B*stard.
HantsRed

Postby Portugal » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:12 pm

Portuguese man wrote:Liverpool i'm portuguese but I'm a big fan of Liverpool and we will win.

Portugal we are the champion of CL and you? :laugh: :laugh:

Or that or you are of Porto ou Sporting  :shifty
Portugal

Postby matrix » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:13 pm

drummerphil wrote:I would like to see whether the Fowler/Cisse partnership would work.......its the only combination Rafa hasn't tried.

yes i would love to see that partnership phil  and im with you on hoping barca rip chelskis heart out   :angry:

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion