LIVERPOOL VS BARNSLEY - 16th feb 2008 - FA Cup 5th round

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:57 pm

Mick, looks like we're on the same thinking again. But I won't accept the Reina debate. Intandje has been our keeper for every domestic cup game, if we'd put Reina in and he'd got injured or we still lost, the same people would be saying "why change Intandje, he's been our keeper for the cups" So not playing Reina wasn't a concern for me. Not playing Gerrard did surprise me. Benitez must know the pressure he's under, so he should be given us every chance of success. Gerrard alone can bring success, but Benitez as per usual has his own methods and that's what will us the trophies (in his eyes).

I'm not even thinking of defeat on Tuesday because I'm a man who goes into EVERY game with the same attitude. We're Liverpool Football Club and we're the greatest side on the planet, therefore we'll win every game. Optimisic, docile or maybe just plainly blinded by stupidity, call it what you like, that's how I approach each game. So Tuesday is already on the forefront of me mind, and I've got us pencilled in for a 2-0 win.

I agree again Mick, WHEN we win the Eruopean Cup this year, we still have to change manager. Europe is no longer good enough for an escape route, we have to do it in the league. Under Benitez, despite me optimisism and belieft, we're not getting the league form right. So change has to come sooner or later. I can't put up with another year like this one.

Now for premwanter, I understand what you're saying. People should feel agrieved at the fact we've gone out to Barnsley, but again it's the FA Cup and these things happen, we have to accept it. Everton fans weren't calling for Moyes' head when they went out to Oldham and Benitez' head wasn't called for when we went out to Burnley a few years back. They were shocks, just like today. But people have taken it upon themselves to believe we had a god given right to win today, the players themselves thought that. You have to earn everything you get, we as a club aren't prepared to put in the hard work anymore. We think we can just turn up and pick up the victory. Well that arrogance has got to stop, and I think it starts by losing the most arrogant of all aka Rafa Benitez.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby bat21 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:00 pm

REINA, CARRAGHER, FINNAN, HIPPYA, ALONSO, GERRARD, MASCHERANO, PENNANT, TORRES, THIS ALL, IN TEAM,

ALL OTHERS, OUT, KUYT, KEWELL, PLAY RUGBY.[B]

I dont know how is possible a player like kuyt is fooball player, i am best that him. Is a chicken without head, bad bad bad, i hate see how he play.

When Crouch strikes a ball, he finds out at the half hour.

Riise play better to the baseball, only he can send balls out of the stadium.

That someone give a map to kewell that even must be lost in the stadium.

If liverpool play with kuyt, game is 12 vs 10. Stop to kuyt only before a desk without keeper and he only is strangled in the door jamb, or crack the head against a post.
A danger the lad.

Jjajaja but that bad is, my god. jajjajaja
bat21

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:06 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Ive done a 3-0 double with Kuyt to score first i should have been able to name my own odds on this one

Nanny, there was 3 goals, Kuyt scored 1st, go on girl.  :D
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby premwanter » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:07 pm

god_bless_john_houlding
Good post mate.
I also have your mentality/optimisic view on each game I awlays believe we can win.
I still think Rafa should have a chance to buy in the summer (hopefully with decent funds) and allowed one more season..success is not over night and sometimes takes time especially when teams around you are progressing well
premwanter

Postby StevieL » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:09 pm

rafa has had 4 years...  how long did mourinho take?!?!
StevieL

Postby premwanter » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:12 pm

Mourinho is a great manager but he had alot of funds theres no question there...
premwanter

Postby Bammo » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:13 pm

I only saw the final 10 mins (listened to the commentary) and some of the reactions on here are over the top. I wonder what Kuyt needs to do for some people given that he was the ONLY Liverpool player to score yet he still gets blamed.

Just to play devil's advocate to Big Mick, had Reina and Gerrard played and we'd won 5-0, what if one (or both) had picked up a bad injury? Wouldn't Rafa get blamed for risking them in a game they weren't needed?

It's a bad result for us but as has been mentioned, it's a cup game and shocks happen. We dominated the game, had 20+ shots on target and were unlucky to lose. That doesn't excuse the result but let's put it into perspective. We didn't play poorly. We weren't outclassed. Look at Arsenal (and yes, I realise Man U are better than Barnsley)  who didn't seem to care about the game. Our players did.

There are at least some positives to come from the game. Kuyt scored and appears to be gaining in confidence, getting into dangerous positions. Alonso has shown he can be a threat playing further forwards (everyone says he affects Gerrard's play, maybe it's the other way round ??? ). Babel is looking better each game although I can't believe he was taken off for Kewell.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:18 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Ive done a 3-0 double with Kuyt to score first i should have been able to name my own odds on this one

Nanny, there was 3 goals, Kuyt scored 1st, go on girl.  :D

Nah it never came in John 3-0 to us with kuyt as the first goal scorer no worries ill have another one on Tuesday , Im sittin here sulkin my other halfs gettin ready to watch match of the day but i cant face it. My bluenose son keeps winding me up on the phone, i never even went bingo tonight im that gutted
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:19 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:We can't underestimate Barnsley. It's an FA Cup tie, the most famous cup around the world and it's famous for upsets. We have to be professional about it, and those thinking it'll be "a walk in the park" just remember how difficult cup ties can be. They're a one off game and Barnsley will come at us looking to cause an upset. There's already been over half the Premiership gone out, and a MAXIUM OF FIVE premiership sides will make up the last eight. A maxium, I want us to be in the last eight, so we have to take this seriously.

On paper we'd walk it, but as the famous saying goes "football isn't played on paper." Professionalism is required.

I said this before the game, last night I think, and it's exactly what we didn't do.

We weren't professional enough and that started with the selection I'm afraid. Benitez playing a "weakened" side. Fair enough it was still full of internationals who SHOULD of been capable of beating a Championship side. But it's still disrespecting them and the FA Cup in general.

Secondly in terms of our unprofessional behaviour. Once you go ahead in any game, you then play keep ball and let the opposition do the running. We didn't, we constantly gave the ball away and constantly went long ball as usual.

Thirdly on professionlism, we were very poor in our disclipine. Too many silly fouls and out of position a great deal. Just before their second goal they had a blatant penalty turned down.

On the up side, there was some professionalism from Liverpool. The fans. We stayed to clap the Barnsley players off, it's something we've always done. It's why this club is so well respected amongst most people. We as fans were professional enough to acknowledge their achievement.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:19 pm

look at the difference  in the quality of teams that they took over and the net amount of money that each spent.  Wouldn't be fair to compare him to Jose, plus he isn't even their manager anymore
JoeTerp

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:23 pm

weakened side? you have to be kidding me? Other than Itandje I don't think it was a weakened side, and don't even bring up Gerrard, a large amount of people in the past week have been given him flack for having a bad attitude, and playing mascherano against this opposition might have been seen as too negative. In case people don't know Torres is injured, and on overall form for the season I would pick Yossi over Pennant. This was not a weakened side
JoeTerp

Postby Bammo » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:24 pm

I think every other Premiership team played a weakened side. Funny how when you lose it's a disgrace to the cup but if you win it's excellent management skills :p

Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:28 pm

Not for me Bammo. Whenever a weakened side is played, it's disrespect, win or not.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Bammo » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:33 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:Not for me Bammo. Whenever a weakened side is played, it's disrespect, win or not.

You tend to stick to your opinion which is fair enough!

I was listening to 5 Live during and after the Man U - Arsenal game. Lots of comments on Arsenal leaving players out being disrespectful but they were complimenting Utd for winning without Tevez, Scholes, Giggs etc.

Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:34 pm

So what would everyone be saying then if we played some of the reserves then today Nemeth, Insua, ect everyone going on about we should give them ago and get them games but then in the next sentence people want the best players on the pitch ,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion