LIVERPOOL VS BARNSLEY - 16th feb 2008 - FA Cup 5th round

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Emerald Red » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:07 pm

Amazing how just an hour or so ago, this thread was buzzing with WUMS and has slowed right down again.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:15 pm

Emerald Red wrote:Amazing how just an hour or so ago, this thread was buzzing with WUMS and has slowed right down again.

HAHA exactly!
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby premwanter » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:29 pm

Very dissapointing result
I m gutted to say the least, I m really starting to question the desire and motivation of our players, the talent is there no doubt....
Is this Rafa's weakest trait - man management and motivation?
I not blaming Rafa and still believe he shouldn't be sacked without one more season but some of the performances recently have been well below par, however I thought in the ches game we played ok...too many ups and downs...:(
premwanter

Postby glenbuck patriot » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:31 pm

what's a WUM?
Pirrie Labour Club 1976 Bill Shankly Prize giving at local ABA Championships.

"You've been booked in to do a three round exhibition bout tonight Bill."

" My fights don't last three rounds SON!"
glenbuck patriot

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:33 pm

I'll repeat myself for those who don't understand the magic of the FA Cup. It's the most famous domestic cup competition in the world. It's famous for one thing above anything else, SHOCKS. Today was a shock, that's all. It happens in the FA Cup. This game WILL NOT decide the fate of Rafa Benitez. It's one of those things that happen in football, especially the FA Cup. So everyone sitting there, complaining that we're out because it was Barnsley, rather than because we're out the FA Cup should read up on the history of this competition and see just how many shocks happen round by round year by yeay. I'm disappointed because we're out of the FA Cup, not because of who beat us. Most from what I've gathered are solely disappointed because of the "standard" that Barnsley are apparently at. I'd like to of seen you show this sort of passion when we dropped points to Birmingham, Wigan and Spurs at home. Maybe if you did the players would realise what it's like to fail at this club, and they'd have a bit more fight about them and a bit more pride when they wear the famous red shirt.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby john1992 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:40 pm

what's a WUM?

yeah what the hells a WUM ?????
john1992

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:41 pm

Well obviously it's a terrible result for the club and not surprisingly things got a wee bit out of hand on this thread. Fortunately it all seems to have clamed down a bit now, most of the WUM's have moved on so perhaps we can return to the debate about the match and inevitably the future of the mananger.

I haven't seen the game, (that'll be the bit that gets quoted then) but the thing which sticks out for me is the selection. Given we had got into the fifth round of the competition with victories over Luton and then a non-league team, and then we had drawn Barnsley at Home you could be forgiven we were in with a squeek of winning the thing. Maybe it's just me being over-optimistic but I really thought our name might be on it. Given that, why didn't the goalkeeper and the captain play?

Now I know that we have an important game on Tuesday, and I know that people will correctly point out that the team which took the field ought to have been good enough to win, but why rest players at this juncture? Does Reina need a rest, is he really that tired? Is Gerrard so dead on his feet that we couldn't risk him for the first hour rather than the last quarter of an hour?

I just got the feeling that the performance at Chelsea was the best in quite a while. Wouldn't it have been nice to go into the Barnsly game with as near to an unchanged team as possible, to build some confidence and momentum for the European game? I would be saying the same thing had we won the Barnsley game 2-0, but now we have lost the game and one of our two chances of a trophy, the question seems even more pertinent.

Defeat on Tuesday would leave us with the freshest squad of players in the history of the Premiership who aren't actually competing for a trophy. Champions League success wouldn't make any difference to me in terms of who should be manager next season. Apologies for being repetitive, but it's time for a change.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby premwanter » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:41 pm

There have been many upsets along the years but it doesn't make it ok! Of course this game won't decide Rafa's future.
When you say people are complaining at the standard of Barnsley, I feel they have every right, we are supposed to be a top 4 team, but like you said this is the FA cup shocks happen, but it always feels worse to go out to a team that are clearly below us...
premwanter

Postby bat21 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:42 pm

KUYT, KEWELL, THEY ARE :censored:.

REINA, CARRAGHER, FINNAN, HIPPYA, ALONSO, GERRARD, MASCHERANO, PENNANT, TORRES, THIS ALL, IN TEAM,

ALL OTHERS, OUT, KUYT, KEWELL, PLAY RUGBY.[B]

I dont know how is possible a player like kuyt is fooball player, i am best that him. Is a chicken without head, bad bad bad, i hate see how he play.

When Crouch strikes a ball, he finds out at the half hour.

Riise play better to the baseball, only he can send balls out of the stadium.

That someone give a map to kewell that even must be lost in the stadium.
Last edited by bat21 on Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bat21

Postby KOPMATT » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:42 pm

hello_red wrote:
The Manhattan Project wrote:Well, let's see.

Out of the League Cup.

Out of the FA Cup.

Title challenge long over.

Fighting for fourth again.

It all hangs on Inter Milan.

If we lose to Inter, Rafa should go.

Yep unfortunatly it would seem that way.

We will play well aginast Inter.. hopefully! If we dont we will get torn apart.

I wanted to see what Rafa could do with a decent budget behind him, but if results keep going like this that wont happen as he will be off. The team is better tyhan 2-1 againt Barnsely.

Sad day! I know the FA cup is famous for its up sets but seriously? Barnsely?

It is bad but can't be worse than Bristol city..................can it?
KOPMATT

Postby premwanter » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:43 pm

Just read your post Mick good comments
I totally believe Reina and Gerrard are fit enough to play in both games.
We should have played a stronger team or made subs sooner...
premwanter

Postby puroresu » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:44 pm

i agree its not just about today but losing to barnsley is disgraceful.  rafa has lost twice to lower league opposition. today was just a continuation of the drivel we have seen this season.
puroresu

Postby premwanter » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:44 pm

Bristol city?
premwanter

Postby Dundalk » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:47 pm

john1992 wrote:
what's a WUM?

yeah what the hells a WUM ?????

W ind
U p
M erchant
Dundalk