LIVERPOOL VS ARSENAL - We owe these one

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby whylongball? » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:42 pm

LFC #1 wrote:FANTASTIC RESULT.

We looked really up for it today, and our effort and intensity was far higher than Arsenal's for the entire match. Crouch was immense and thoroughly deserved his, what must be said, outstanding hat-trick. One with the head, and one each with both feet. His touch, vision and finishing was a sight to behold, best display ever in a red-shirt IMO. Macherano looked good for the tiem was on, nothing out of this world but he worked hard and put in a solid performance. Other special mentioens to Aurelio and Pennant who were both very good today IMO. I hope Auerelio can continue that sort of form from now and into next season, he will definitely make the left back slot his own if he does.

The only disappointme for me was Mark Gonzalez, who failed to deliver much yet again (bar an excellent cross for Crouchies second). He has a lot of work to do IMO if he wants to be here next season.

fully agree..cant pass can defend..gave away so often :no
whylongball?

Postby whylongball? » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:52 pm

basPSV wrote:
RUSHIE#9 wrote:Excellent result and a very good all round performance from the team. Crouch was outstanding in the lone role up front and his service was exceptional from the flanks today. Aurelio had what I think has been his best performance since he signed for us and for a change Pennant looked fully up for it although some of his passing did still go astray at times. I felt that Gonzalez was again very poor and just doesn't seem to be adjusting to the premiership at all. Alot of his passing failed to find it's target and apart from the odd run at the full back I thought he did very little. Mascherano and Arbeloa also both had very good games and they both look like very good additions to the squad. Final words must go to Crouchinho though as that final goal was just exceptional. The footwork and ball control with a defender right on top of him has to be applauded.

CROUCHIE  :bowdown  :bowdown

:nod

Has to be first on McClaren's teamsheet from now on, he is absolutely world class, immense in the air, awesome balance, fantastic vision, solid tackler...best striker in Prem on today's form.

I wouldnt call him world class yet.....he needs to be a lot more consistent in terms of scoring
whylongball?

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:05 am

Awesome performance. Arsenal were just totally blown away. Good to see the owners there too. Magnificent display from Crouch with the "perfect" hat-trick. Nice header too, which is important because that is the weaker area of his game. His headers need more power and accuracy like the one he scored today.
Last edited by The Manhattan Project on Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:13 am

whylongball? wrote:
basPSV wrote:
RUSHIE#9 wrote:Excellent result and a very good all round performance from the team. Crouch was outstanding in the lone role up front and his service was exceptional from the flanks today. Aurelio had what I think has been his best performance since he signed for us and for a change Pennant looked fully up for it although some of his passing did still go astray at times. I felt that Gonzalez was again very poor and just doesn't seem to be adjusting to the premiership at all. Alot of his passing failed to find it's target and apart from the odd run at the full back I thought he did very little. Mascherano and Arbeloa also both had very good games and they both look like very good additions to the squad. Final words must go to Crouchinho though as that final goal was just exceptional. The footwork and ball control with a defender right on top of him has to be applauded.

CROUCHIE  :bowdown  :bowdown

:nod

Has to be first on McClaren's teamsheet from now on, he is absolutely world class, immense in the air, awesome balance, fantastic vision, solid tackler...best striker in Prem on today's form.

I wouldnt call him world class yet.....he needs to be a lot more consistent in terms of scoring

World class? Maybe no but he looked good today. A perfect hatrick, left, right and header.

He needs to improve his heading at goal and today was more like it, sometimes I feel he should do better heading in front of goal but today was better
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby EddieC » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:39 am

whylongball? wrote:I wouldnt call him world class yet.....he needs to be a lot more consistent in terms of scoring

WTF? He's got the best ratio for minutes played out of any of our strikers, not his fault he doesn't get enough games.

Anyway, my view on the match:

Reina (6) - Didn't have too much to do, but dealt with problems when they arose. Can't be blamed for the goal.

Aurelio (7) - Looked a lot more like the player I thought we were buying in the summer, some brilliant crosses, not to mention the free kick, but most importantly more defensively sound than I've seen him all season.

Carragher (6) - Quiet by his standards, but then again did any of our defenders have much to do? Pulled off a vital challenge against Adebayor, can't blame him that they didn't cause us many problems.

Agger (7) - Not sure if he actually knew too much about the goal, it didn't even seem to change direction after he touched it. Same as JC, not a lot to do, but an extra point for the goal.

Arbeloa (8 ) - Well, Carra's said it, and I agree with him. This guy's gonna be a first team regular. Sublime cross for the first, defensively sound, and always a threat going forward. So glad we got him rather than that muppet Neill, just goes to show second choice can be best sometimes.

Gonzalez (6) - Same as the rest of the season, great in patches, but overall not a quality performance. I really think Rafa did the wrong thing talking him up so much before he arrived. Not jumping on the 'get rid of him' bandwagon, as I think he will improve vastly, he is showing glimpses of what he can do, but not there yet. Brilliant first time cross in the first half though.

Alonso (5) - Went missing for most of the game. I commented to my mate on thirty odd minutes that it was the first time I'd heard a commentator mention his name. Definately one of his worse games.

Mascherano (9) - What a difference a new club can make! I was encouraged by is debut, but this was a spectacular performance. Much as Alonso wasn't mentioned, Mascherano was involved in near enough every build up. Excellent performance, great tackling, great passing, very encouraged for the future.

Pennant (7) - Another player who stepped up to the mark today. Back heel for the first - Absolutely magnificent. This lad is starting to look better & better, he put in a couple of lovely crosses today, definately looked like he had a point to prove after being left out of the England squad, and who better to do it against?

Gerrard (6) - Looked jaded, after his performance against Andorra, who can blame him? Should have probably buried the only decent chance he had, probably didn't realise that a touch would've completely wrong footed Gallas.

Crouch (10) - What can I say? Whenever you doubt Crouchinho, he's there to prove you wrong. The perfect hatrick, one with his left, right & head. The first & third were brilliant, but the second was probably the most important for him, considering the stick he's had over his aerial ability. F#ck knows what treatment they gave you Crouchy, but it seems to have strengthened your neck muscles.
Last edited by EddieC on Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:44 am

Quite possibly our best Home performance of the season against an Arsenal side who were outplayed, outfought and undone by a superb performance all round.

Crouch will get all the plaudits but Pennant, Aurelio and particular Masscarano were impressive.

Gonzalez won't get too many better chances to turn it around and he looked like a player low on confidence, match fitness and belief. Compare him with Masscarano who looked the part in the middle and worked his proverbial :censored: off for the cause.

A wins a win but I can't remember a Home game this season which i've enjoyed being at more. The quality of football was top drawer and although Arsenal only showed glimpses of their obvious pedigree it was still an highly enttertaining game.

Walk on ....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:25 am

Just seen Peter Crouchs goals on M.O.T.D and once again they obviously wanted to save the best for last. :D
The big man was brilliant , razor sharp and looked a million dollars eh!
Alan Shearer liked it too-but still called  called him decent at this that and the other-Hes more than decent now ffs
  Towering headers, overhead kicks , fancy footwork and finish what more has he gotta do! Six inches smaller and a bit more beef and he would be taken a lot more seriously ..by now.

Have to say also, another day at the park for Man u. Yes they passed it well , and Ferdinand can knock down old women from 30 yards lol -but the luck theyre having is unreal.
Im just disgusted at the fight other teams have against them.   :no Especially Fat Sams
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:42 am

Brilliant result !!!

Just want to note a touch of reality on that though, Arsenal didnt turn up for that one today they were s.hit and made our job a whole lot easier. I dont think this can cover up the problems we still have, mainly from wide areas (midfield) and its not worth getting carried away with it, we've been here to many times before after a few decent results we seem to believe we're the dogs bollo.x and lose our perspective. This game was one of those that could have you loose perspective.

But as s.hit as Arsenal were today we were equally at their ground earlier on this season, we owed them and we paid them. Looking at the initial formation I wasnt over the moon, although it is a solid formation and one which we could adopt more often. Especially with Mascha and Xabi sitting behind Stevie. But when I did see the line-up, I thought Rafa was more worried about stopping Arsenal play, it looked quite negative at home (one striker upfront) but credit where its due it worked a treat.

The main difference today apart from the formation was Peter Crouch back in the starting line-up, ahead of Kuyt. For me thats been a while coming Kuyts game as a striker has really dropped into the abyss of late. And like on most occasions when Crouch has been called upon he's more than not delivered. A fantastic hatrick and 14 goals this season for a player who is hardly been getting a look in of late is great and really tells you something about the fella, his close control is fantastic for a lanky fella, and hell he even diverted the ball into th eback of the net with his seemingly inacurate and weak neck muscles. He desreves to start more than not and it should really be Kuyt knocking on the door to get into the team, not the other way round.

I can see that formation being used a lot more next season considering the talent we have in midfield, with that much quality you'd really think Rafa would try and accomadate those players into that formation. I'd be happy with that midfield, although I still think Gerrard is the best box to box central midfielder in the country, playing him further up in a CENTRAL position makes better sense than playing him right. If we could get two excellent signings in those wide areas next to Gerrard and keep Pennant and gonzalez as stand in players the team would look formidable. I also thought Aurelio and Arbeloa had good games to today.

Reina

Finnan   Carragher  Agger   Riise

Mascha  Alonso

New player     Gerrard    New player/ or a finally fit Kewell

Crouch/ or new striker

With this formation like we played yesterday Crouch would be the ideal striker playing the lone role, he can hold it up better than any of our other strikers and his touch is just as good his game all round game is idealy suited to that formation.

But when we've been playing 4-4-2 like for most of the season, we've all been calling for a "fox in the box". If Rafa wants to use both these formations against the weaker and stronger sides respectively than I still strongly think we'll need a " fox in the box" to partner either Bellamy or Kuyt. The "new wingers" if we're getting any could be played wide in both formations, then only central midfield really becomes the re-shuffled pack.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:51 am

Bamaga man wrote:Brilliant result !!!

Just want to note a touch of reality on that though, Arsenal didnt turn up for that one today they were s.hit and made our job a whole lot easier. I dont think this can cover up the problems we still have, mainly from wide areas (midfield) and its not worth getting carried away with it, we've been here to many times before after a few decent results we seem to believe we're the dogs bollo.x and lose our perspective. This game was one of those that could have you loose perspective.

But as s.hit as Arsenal were today we were equally at their ground earlier on this season, we owed them and we paid them. Looking at the initial formation I wasnt over the moon, although it is a solid formation and one which we could adopt more often. Especially with Mascha and Xabi sitting behind Stevie. But when I did see the line-up, I thought Rafa was more worried about stopping Arsenal play, it looked quite negative at home (one striker upfront) but credit where its due it worked a treat.

The main difference today apart from the formation was Peter Crouch back in the starting line-up, ahead of Kuyt. For me thats been a while coming Kuyts game as a striker has really dropped into the abyss of late. And like on most occasions when Crouch has been called upon he's more than not delivered. A fantastic hatrick and 14 goals this season for a player who is hardly been getting a look in of late is great and really tells you something about the fella, his close control is fantastic for a lanky fella, and hell he even diverted the ball into th eback of the net with his seemingly inacurate and weak neck muscles. He desreves to start more than not and it should really be Kuyt knocking on the door to get into the team, not the other way round.

I can see that formation being used a lot more next season considering the talent we have in midfield, with that much quality you'd really think Rafa would try and accomadate those players into that formation. I'd be happy with that midfield, although I still think Gerrard is the best box to box central midfielder in the country, playing him further up in a CENTRAL position makes better sense than playing him right. If we could get two excellent signings in those wide areas next to Gerrard and keep Pennant and gonzalez as stand in players the team would look formidable. I also thought Aurelio and Arbeloa had good games to today.

Reina

Mascha  Alonso

Crouch/ or new striker

With this formation like we played yesterday Crouch would be the ideal striker playing the lone role, he can hold it up better than any of our other strikers and his touch is just as good his game all round game is idealy suited to that formation.

But when we've been playing 4-4-2 like for most of the season, we've all been calling for a "fox in the box". If Rafa wants to use both these formations against the weaker and stronger sides respectively than I still strongly think we'll need a " fox in the box" to partner either Bellamy or Kuyt. The "new wingers" if we're getting any could be played wide in both formations, then only central midfield really becomes the re-shuffled pack.

That is Rafa's favourite formation, and with Mr Mascherano, we now have almost everyone we need to fulfill it's potential.

4-2-3-1.

Do people STILL think it can't work?

Anyhoo...

A fantastic performance today, the shining lights coming from Arbeloa, Aurelio, Mascherano and obviously Mr Crouch.

Top class result. :nod

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:13 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:Brilliant result !!!

Reina

Mascha  Alonso

Crouch/ or new striker

That is Rafa's favourite formation, and with Mr Mascherano, we now have almost everyone we need to fulfill it's potential.

4-2-3-1.

Anyhoo...

A fantastic performance today, the shining lights coming from Arbeloa, Aurelio, Mascherano and obviously Mr Crouch.

Lando, read the midfield thread. You will not agree with me in some parts of it  :;):  But we do agree that having Mascha in the team will help Rafa playing his 4-2-3-1 formation. I think all is really needed in that formation would be a top right winger. I dont even believe we'd need a new striker for that formation as I believe Crouch is best suited to this role. They'd be no point in buying someone like a Robbie Fowler or an Owen to play upfront alone it wouldnt work with their games but with Crouch's we know it can.

Just as long as the defence dont lump long balls upfield all the time because they can see a target man in Crouch we'll possibly do fine.
66-1112520797

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:44 am

i hear that during the game, riise was asking the fans to throw coins at him

:D
112-1077774096

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:33 am

Pennant should have stayed by the post. Lost concentration for a split second and wandered off. Gallas scored.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Smeg » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:38 am

Great game, Crouch was very good. But please lets not get carried away and start thinking we can build a title winning team around Crouch.
Smeg

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:56 am

Smeg wrote:Great game, Crouch was very good. But please lets not get carried away and start thinking we can build a title winning team around Crouch.

Why not ?

With that formation used yesterday it could possibly work, even if Crouch cant find the net to often he's more than capable of bringing into play the three midfielders behind him.

I think we could use both formations 4-4-2 & 4-2-5-1 and if the latter means playing Crouch I cant see why not, its essential though we get the quality and goal threat from the midfielders though.
66-1112520797

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:57 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:That is Rafa's favourite formation, and with Mr Mascherano, we now have almost everyone we need to fulfill it's potential.

4-2-3-1.

Anyhoo...

It certainly worked a treat yesterday , like yourself I was hugely impressed with performance of the "new" lads .

I think Momo , Finnan and Riise are gonna have to battle to hold down first choice places .

If only we can up the class in the LM and RM positions we'll be bloody frightening .

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion