Liverpool vs arsenal - Carling cup qtr final

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:04 pm

why wouldn't each club put out its stongest side for the Carling Cup?  It seems like the easiest way to a peice of hardware in that you only need to win about 5 matches, where in the Prem you have to compete week in and week out for 38 weeks.  And it isn't like this weekend we have a super tough opponent?  We seem to be hitting our mid-season form now, but its hard to judge because some of it is against not the best of competition, I wish that both culbs field the strongest possible sides and that everyone plays their :censored: off, so we can see how good our form really is.
JoeTerp

Postby Scouse_legend » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:22 pm

We should play are best team because we wanna win another trophie this year  :D
and it still a sorta big trophie init ??? ??

Scouse_legend

Postby scouser 'til I die » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:14 pm

can't wait first time in the kop :D

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Postby Scouse_legend » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:33 pm

lol its great im the kop glad injoy ure first time there :D
i always in the kop when i go to watch the reds :p :D

Scouse_legend

Postby scouser 'til I die » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:43 pm

I've been to many matches in the Centenary stand, Main Stand, once in Anny Road, but never in The Kop. Should be decent :) Hope the two teams Benitez and Moaning Wenger put out are strong sides, want a decent match :). I also heard that Henry's return game from injury is against us, it said on Footy Focus, but that might be a load of :censored:, not sure ??? Lets hope not :;):

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Postby redhayesy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:15 pm

this is just the sort of game we need to play our strongest side, as we are really on form at the moment. i know the xmas period is hectic but i really believe we have the sqaud to cope with it + the fact that we are in such good form of late why change! yes some might say rest 2 or 3 players,but i would really love to see us turn over arsenal in style! which we are more than capable of doing at the moment,as we are at home let"s give arsne fecking wenger somthing to really moan about.come on you mighty reds!
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby CarlosRocks » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:27 pm

i think we'll see a fairly strong side on the pitch 2mora. we owe em one for what happened at the emirates.

2-1 to us.
CarlosRocks

Postby red37 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:45 am

scouser 'til I die wrote:I also heard that Henry's return game from injury is against us, it said on Footy Focus

F.A Cup, yes - 06/01/07. not tomorrow night.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby red37 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:57 am

One or two interesting comments here in this article from the Telegraph:

Benitez hopes experience proves decisive
By Mark Ogden

19/12/2006

Rafael Benitez is prepared to risk the embarrassment of seeing Liverpool's senior players knocked out of the Carling Cup by Arsenal's emerging youngsters tonight after admitting that Anfield's next generation cannot compare with Arsene Wenger's expensively assembled prodigies.

Although the Arsenal side that beat Everton at Goodison Park in the last round cost a combined £31 million, Thierry Henry and William Gallas were not included. Everton lost to the likes of Alexandre Song Billong, Denilson and a 17-year-old named Theo Walcott.

Wenger is expected to use his youngsters again at Anfield, with a sprinkling of experienced players to boost their hopes of reaching the semi-finals, but Benitez is planning to field an experienced line-up led by the likes of Jamie Carragher, Peter Crouch and Robbie Fowler.

While Arsenal can pay £12 million for Walcott, Benitez has had to shop at the lower end of the market. Lincoln City received £750,000 for defender Jack Hobbs and Boca Juniors welcomed the £1 million that Liverpool paid for Emiliano Insua earlier this season. Godwin Antwi's arrival from Real Zaragoza and Paul Anderson's from Hull did not even merit fees.

Had Liverpool been facing Southend, or even Charlton, then the younger players might have been given the chance to show their worth, but Benitez will not risk them against Wenger's youngsters.

"It was a pity we were drawn against Arsenal because how many youngsters we play depends on the standard of the opposition." Benitez said. "I will be selecting an experienced team because they are a good team with good players and we need to be careful.

"We know there is a big difference with Arsenal, who can pay millions for Denilson and also spend big on Walcott and Abou Diaby. We monitored Denilson, Walcott and Diaby, but we cannot compete with the big money spent on them. That's why I'm happy with how the scouting department are doing with not as much money.

"Arsenal were at the top of the table with a lot of foreign players in recent years and are reinvesting in a lot of young players. The quality of these players is really good."

Benitez, who believes the lack of emerging domestic talent is a direct result of an academy system that is "simply not working", is confident Liverpool can win some silverware this season and he sees the Carling Cup as perhaps the club's best route to glory.

"We want to win every competition, FA Cup or Champions League, but this could be one of our trophies."

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:48 am

Arsenal squad: Almunia©, Poom, Hoyte, Lauren, Senderos, Djourou, Flamini, Walcott, Song, Denilson, Randall, Traore, Aliadiere, Connolly, Garry, Perez.

not a bad squad for Arsenal... shouldnt be much trouble beating them if we field a strong starting lineup though.
my team would be :

Dudek

Peltier         Paletta           Agger            Riise

Pennant        Alonso         L.Garcia          Aurelio

Crouch          Fowler

3-1 liverpool.. Crouch(2), L.Garcia...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:57 am

Benitez, who believes the lack of emerging domestic talent is a direct result of an academy system that is "simply not working

I think this quote adds fuel to the rumour that Steve Heighway is on his way out. I hope its not true because Heighway has always been highly respected by everyone that has come through the youth system, and has worked hard for Liverpool and the kids for a very longtime.
account deleted by request

Postby babu » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:03 am

C'mon Redman stuff the baby gunners !!!!

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:22 am

Have a good feeling about this one.

Get the feeling that we will hammer them and it will be their worst defeat in years..............

:nod  :nod  :nod
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby sissoko_22 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:36 am

if the arsenal squad i hear is correct and we put out a half decent side, we should win the game. it will be embarresing if we dont.we just have to play reasonably well.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. you must believe that you are the best and then make sure you are.in my time at liverpool we always said we had the best two teams in mersyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves"  - Bill Shankly
sissoko_22

Postby crouchaldinho » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:07 pm

heres the line-up i think he may go for tonight:
                 Reina

Finnan   JC    Agger   Aurelio/Riise

Pennant  Gerrard  Alonso   Gonzales/Aurelio

Crouch   Fowler

I've left my options open on the left wing because im not sure how wary Rafa will be about Walcott. The lad has started to show what he's capable of in games he's played in recently, particularly in the last round of this competition. So i think he may sitck with Riise (although i think he'd ideally want to rest him this match, as he's played the full 90 in most of our games this season so far), due to Aurelio not having many minutes since his recent injury. If thats the case, i think we may see Aurelio on the wing tonight.

I dont think theres any doubt that Crouchie will start tonight, Rafa knows he can be relied upon to do the business. It seems Rafa has found his 'favoured' partnership up front for premiership games now, but he knows Crouchie want to be more than a 'bit-part' throughout the season, so he'll be there from the off tonight. I also think we'll see Peltier & Guthrie at some point in the game (depending on how its looking though)
crouchaldinho

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion