Liverpool v. Arsenal Match Thread (Oct. 28, 2007) - AKA The Kiss Wenger's @rse Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:57 pm

I think we need to go 5 across the middle. We just can't seem to get anything to stick, and 3 across the front with Voronin and Kuyt acting as wingers or wide men isn't working that well.

I'd bring on Babel for Voronin and go two up top, then maybe Benayoun in place of one of the front two.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rockthekop » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:58 pm

Been trying to figure out who the home team are.  Overall defending well but not doing a lot else.  It's a dangerous tactic by Benitez, its asking for trouble.  Torres has had no service of any note, Gerrard playing more like himself.  We need to keep the ball more and create chances.  The headless brothers are still as dangerous as ever nottt!
Last edited by Rockthekop on Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockthekop

Postby heimdall » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:58 pm

Bad Bob wrote:I think we need to rethink the tactics for the second half.  They're ball control and pace are frightening and we are playing into their hands by running around a lot and lumping the ball long.  Crouch, I'm sure, will come on for Torres--who looks short of fitness--and I'd like to see Benayoun on for Voronin down the left.  A bit more ball retention, a bit more measured play to take the sting out of the game and we can stiffle them and look to play on the counter.

Jeez we are lucky to still be ahead, Arsenal are a different league to us, just haven't had a good final ball, but so far so good, Voronin and Kuyt suck though, bring on Crouch, Babel and Benayoun for the second half and start playing 433 instead of 451.

I'm enjoying the game though, hope we can hang on  :buttrock  :buttrock
heimdall

Postby Dundalk » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:59 pm

To be fair Arsenal have looked like the better team and the home team to be fair, but the way they play you would nearly expect that.

We have kept them pretty quiet and they havent had many chances
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:00 pm

as long as we dont sit back and invite them onto us, i think the worst think we can do now is to let them have possession, we need to keep pressing them right up the pitch, i hate that last ditch defending with the long hoof upfield for them to come straight back
112-1077774096

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:00 pm

puroresu wrote:I would rather Babel come on.  Gotta have at least some pace up there.

I agree. Babel play on the left, Voronin on the right and Kuyt up front.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Sabre » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:00 pm

Bad Bob wrote:I think we need to rethink the tactics for the second half.  They're ball control and pace are frightening and we are playing into their hands by running around a lot and lumping the ball long.  Crouch, I'm sure, will come on for Torres--who looks short of fitness--and I'd like to see Benayoun on for Voronin down the left.  A bit more ball retention, a bit more measured play to take the sting out of the game and we can stiffle them and look to play on the counter.

Not sure if it's the tactics what we have to change mate, whatever it works to give us the 3 points will be fine with me though. we just need to manage better our counter attacks, and knowing to slow the tempo of the game when it's required.

Wouldn't you find interesting Babel's pace for the wing today?
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SoppMeister » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:01 pm

Nervous stuff. I'd be very surprised if we hung on, hopefully they won't be able to keep the game as fast paced as it has been so far because we're looking terribly sluggish at times. I'll be accused of not getting behind the team for saying this, but I'd take a 1-1 now.

Crouch on for Torres is a good move as he's clearly come back too soon which is a shame. Hopefully Crouch can hold it up well.

Awesome goal by Gerrard. Come on Reds!
SoppMeister

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:01 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:I'd like to see Benayoun on for Voronin down the left.

I'd like to see Benayoun AND Babel for Voronin and Kuyt.

Not a bad shout, mate, but with Crouch almost certain to come on for Torres can you see Rafa using up all three subs at halftime? ???

I'd get Benayoun on now for ball control and then think about Babel down the line, to hit them on the counter once we've got to grips with the game again (we were barely hanging on there at times near the end).
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:01 pm

just watched the goal again, yosser hughes must have built that wall (one for the older posters)   :D
112-1077774096

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:02 pm

Take a gamble Rafa , make three half time subs , bring on Crouch , Benayoun and Babel , let Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano hold the midfield.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:02 pm

Sabre wrote:

Not sure if it's the tactics what we have to change mate, whatever it works to give us the 3 points will be fine with me though. we just need to manage better our counter attacks, and knowing to slow the tempo of the game when it's required.

Wouldn't you find interesting Babel's pace for the wing today?

Pace would be good, ball retention would be better, mate.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Dundalk » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:02 pm

heimdall wrote:Voronin and Kuyt suck though,

In fairness they do but its not really there fault the way we lined up. We certainly are NOT playing 4-3-3, its 5 in the middle
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:02 pm

My house a picture at the moment my wife keeps giving me dirty looks cos she's a Gooner :D COME ON THE REDMEN!!!!!
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:03 pm

Well we wouldn't win a beauty contest but how gives a feck, this game isn't about that. They are a good team but we knew that. Even though we are having to play like the away team to do it, if we can dig out the win who cares.

BTW Gerrard again looks like the best player on view which is encouraging, and at least I won't have to explain what I mean by cohesion, rhythm and fluency anymore, :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion