Liverpool v. Arsenal Match Thread (Oct. 28, 2007) - AKA The Kiss Wenger's @rse Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:54 pm

just couldnt care less about last night, want the league. and i actually think we are gonna win it.

some two bob team in some two bob country, couldnt give a monkeys mate.

bring on the arsenal and then we'll show them who we are
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:59 pm

dawson99 wrote:just couldnt care less about last night, want the league. and i actually think we are gonna win it.

some two bob team in some two bob country, couldnt give a monkeys mate.

bring on the arsenal and then we'll show them who we are

I thought I heard Agger is out for maybe two more weeks, not sure about Torres but I know Hyypia was awful when the goners beat us 3-0 at their's last season and he was taken off!
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:32 pm

I personally couldn't give a fukk about last nights game, or for that matter whether or not we qualify for the knock out stages.....Its the prem league i want we have waited far to long for this title, its well overdue, and sunday against Arsenal gives us a great opportunity to show everyone we mean buisiness. Forget the CL and lets get the one title we have been waiting for over 18 yrs to re-claim. :nod
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:40 pm

I think we'd all happily be knocked out in group stages of CL if it meant we'd win the league.

Maybe playing sh*te is part of Rafa's master plan :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:48 pm

Big Niall wrote:I think we'd all happily be knocked out in group stages of CL if it meant we'd win the league.

Maybe playing sh*te is part of Rafa's master plan :D

In a way yes.

When we were very optimistic, after beating 6-0 Derby County, he was saying that winning the league would be very difficult and a lot of work had to be done.

And indeed, by difficult he means that we must go through moments like this.

I'm all for questioning Rafa and making serious questions if we underperform at the end of the league. But now? Surely we can't expect to win a league being on top every week no? I know that's the case in the last couple of years more or less, but normally, leagues are much more unpredictable than that.

Even the team that is on top on January can't know for sure whether they'll win.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thinkpad » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:57 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
welsh wizzard wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
Big Niall wrote:I cannot see us winning, Wenger has assembled a much better team at a fraction of the price.

Where ?

BHB wrote:Looking at the two teams on paper, ours wins every time:

Starting at the back:

Reina, Finnan, Carra, Agger, Arbeloa

opposed to Arsenal's:

Almunia, Sagne, Toure, Gallas, Clichy

I'd take our back 5 over theirs all day long. But they have marauding full backs, that do get back when needed, and players that will drop in and cover for them when they go forward. We don't.

Alonso, Mascherano, Benayoun, Gerrard, Babel.

as opposed to Arsenal's:

Eboue, Flamini, Fabregas, Hleb, Walcott

Then upfront - Torres V Adebayor

What does it tell you then ??

Arsenal manager has them playing with confidence, passion, for each other, playing it simple,

Rafa has us playing ????

May be we should swap managers...

Let Rafa destroy the team Wenger has built, and let Wenger put the Style and attracting football back in our team..

Rafa needs   :help  :help

A few things.

That tells me that there is something missing that may be more pschological than just personell related.

Also you show no respect to Rafa here. What have both teams won in the last three seasons ?

Leagues 0-0
Fa Cups 1-1
Champions LEague Finals 1-1
Cmapions League Winners 1-0 (to Rafa)

Doesnt matter what the footy looks like, its the trophies that matter.

If that is so easy, everyone who bets will be a winner.
We are living in the past, quoting history as our biggest assets. Can you really said Arsenal has not been in rebuilding? Are they not formidable now? If history is the only way to decide how strong you are today, then Liverpool will be indeed unbeatable. But the truth is it is not. So let's not drag those history in and skew your vison today.

It really :censored: me off whenever Liverpool fans talk down on other teams strength by insisting we have better history. It means nothing if we don't do the job NOW.. The key is NOW.

Everytime we have better history, end of story... wake up man
Thinkpad

Postby Thinkpad » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:14 pm

Another thing that really :censored: me off is the type of fans we have. The people who thinks that to criticise you better of supporting another team. They don't want to hear what is wrong and our weakness are. They are like an ostricsh, hiding their head in the sand and thinks that everything will be ok.

When Gerrard Houllier won some trophies he is untouchable. Real fans know something is wrong after a few years but noooooo.. criticise him and you are practically murdered in the forum.. so the whole sad thing was allowed to dragged on until finally most snapped and wokeup.. too late. Damaged done.

Does Liverpool's bunch of fans engaged in blind faith.. It seems so. Even when things are so wrong we tends to give excuses until it is beyond redemption. It is like, if it not broken don't fix it, we pratically wait until total destruction before making any sound.

Rafa doesn't exhibit the ability even until now to indicate we can seriously challange for the tittle, so do the right thing. Get someone who can. Yes Arsene Wenger didn't win too many trophies, but you cannot say he never exhibit the right qualities in building Arsenal. Arsenal is ready to dominate from youth team to senior team.. for at least a decade. Are we willing to wait that long for a change to win the PL?

Liverpool need to start winning and the fans need to push them to win. Not excuses like it is still early.. Tell me when it is too late? Fan's have develope bad habits. Like problem children with procrastination, lack of ambitions and altitude problem they need to wean themselves of it. Be a winner, be succesful and not a loser with excuses for everything. Win every game, treat each like a final.. failure is unacceptable. Then success will follows.
Thinkpad

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:46 pm

If you take net spending into account, then divide it by each season, Wenger has outspent Rafa.

That's the only stat you can possibly use.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Wilhelmsson » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:24 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:If you take net spending into account, then divide it by each season, Wenger has outspent Rafa.

That's the only stat you can possibly use.

That’s not much of a point considering Wenger has been at Arsenal for over a decade and Rafa has been at Liverpool for less than half of a decade.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby EddieC » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:33 pm

I'm sure plenty would disagree with me, but I would go with:

Reina

Finnan    Carra    Hobbs    Insua

Gerrard  Alonso  Sissoko  Benayoun

Torres
                     Crouch

People have been very critical of both Sissoko & Crouch recently, but I feel this is the type of game where they will both shine TBH, especially Sissoko. When up against a great passing team like Arsenal you need someone who will chase them non stop for 90 minutes, giving them no time on the ball. Sissoko is perfect for this and has given them major headaches in the past. I am a firm believer that his passing ability (or lack of) becomes less of an issue when paired with Alonso as Xabi will make himself available for the simple ball once Momo has won it. Once Alonso has the ball he has the option of releasing the through ball to Torres, Gerrard or Benayoun, all of whom are more than capable of getting in behind the defence, or the ball to Crouch to hold up for a more patient attack. Crouch had a field day against them last year, my thinking is that Arsenal will keep more than half an eye on him and it should free up a bit of space for Torres.

In defence if either is fit in time I would play Agger & Arbeloa, firstly at the expense of Hobbs, and Insua too if both manage to make it. Both our fullbacks were very poor last night, Finnan is usually superb so I'm willing to give him another chance but Riise has been playing badly for quite a while now, so for me Insua gets the nod unless Arbeloa or Aurelio are ready in time.

I'm gonna stick my neck on the line here & have faith that we will bounce back in style, I'm going for 3-0 with both Crouch & Sissoko to silence their doubters with brilliant performances.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:11 pm

EddieC wrote:I'm sure plenty would disagree with me, but I would go with:

Reina

Finnan    Carra    Hobbs    Insua

Gerrard  Alonso  Sissoko  Benayoun

Torres
                     Crouch

People have been very critical of both Sissoko & Crouch recently, but I feel this is the type of game where they will both shine TBH, especially Sissoko. When up against a great passing team like Arsenal you need someone who will chase them non stop for 90 minutes, giving them no time on the ball. Sissoko is perfect for this and has given them major headaches in the past. I am a firm believer that his passing ability (or lack of) becomes less of an issue when paired with Alonso as Xabi will make himself available for the simple ball once Momo has won it. Once Alonso has the ball he has the option of releasing the through ball to Torres, Gerrard or Benayoun, all of whom are more than capable of getting in behind the defence, or the ball to Crouch to hold up for a more patient attack. Crouch had a field day against them last year, my thinking is that Arsenal will keep more than half an eye on him and it should free up a bit of space for Torres.

In defence if either is fit in time I would play Agger & Arbeloa, firstly at the expense of Hobbs, and Insua too if both manage to make it. Both our fullbacks were very poor last night, Finnan is usually superb so I'm willing to give him another chance but Riise has been playing badly for quite a while now, so for me Insua gets the nod unless Arbeloa or Aurelio are ready in time.

I'm gonna stick my neck on the line here & have faith that we will bounce back in style, I'm going for 3-0 with both Crouch & Sissoko to silence their doubters with brilliant performances.

Bit of a bold formation that, Eddie. Personally I wouldn't have Sissoko anywhere hear the pitch on Sunday. We need someone who can pass the ball in the middle, and seeing Momo can't even pass it four feet in front of him, he shouldn't get near it. I'd have Mascherano instead with Gerrard in front of Alonso sitting deep.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby EddieC » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:24 pm

Emerald Red wrote:Bit of a bold formation that, Eddie. Personally I wouldn't have Sissoko anywhere hear the pitch on Sunday. We need someone who can pass the ball in the middle, and seeing Momo can't even pass it four feet in front of him, he shouldn't get near it. I'd have Mascherano instead with Gerrard in front of Alonso sitting deep.

See I disagree, Momo can pass four feet in front of him, just not a lot further than that  :D

When he plays alongside Alonso we seem to see a completely different player, I feel the reason for this is as I said, Alonso makes himself readily available for the simple ball. When Gerrard plays with Momo you see him pushing forward the second Momo's won the ball, which then goes straight back to the opposition cos there was no easy pass on for Momo. To me it's no coincidence that Momo's one standout game of the season against Sunderland was one of only two times he's been partnered with Alonso this season (the other was Portsmouth, where IMO they weren't bad, but no-one was particularly good that day).

Sissoko definitely has as many weaknesses as strengths, but for this game I feel his strengths will add more to the team than his weaknesses will take away. I feel he will need Alonso alongside him though, so Gerrard will have to shift out to the right.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:33 pm

EddieC wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:Bit of a bold formation that, Eddie. Personally I wouldn't have Sissoko anywhere hear the pitch on Sunday. We need someone who can pass the ball in the middle, and seeing Momo can't even pass it four feet in front of him, he shouldn't get near it. I'd have Mascherano instead with Gerrard in front of Alonso sitting deep.

See I disagree, Momo can pass four feet in front of him, just not a lot further than that  :D

When he plays alongside Alonso we seem to see a completely different player, I feel the reason for this is as I said, Alonso makes himself readily available for the simple ball. When Gerrard plays with Momo you see him pushing forward the second Momo's won the ball, which then goes straight back to the opposition cos there was no easy pass on for Momo. To me it's no coincidence that Momo's one standout game of the season against Sunderland was one of only two times he's been partnered with Alonso this season (the other was Portsmouth, where IMO they weren't bad, but no-one was particularly good that day).

Sissoko definitely has as many weaknesses as strengths, but for this game I feel his strengths will add more to the team than his weaknesses will take away. I feel he will need Alonso alongside him though, so Gerrard will have to shift out to the right.

Well, I see what you mean about when Alonso is playing. I've said it before, you can just let him loose where he belongs high up the pitch and be the wrecking ball that he is. But as for having a central job where he has to hold, pass it and look for other players making runs down the channels, forget about it. Arsenal play with a lot of width, so I think Rafa might pack the middle with 5 across it, with Torres up front. Sissoko might fit in well with that strategy. We'll need to boss the middle and stop them playing football.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:41 pm

It would be typical of us to go and get a win against Arsenal and thats what I think will happen 2-1 win, Hyppia to score for them and Benayoun and Gerrard for us  :D

Patience is the key for this game, we must be wary of the counter attack !
destro

Postby EddieC » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:47 pm

destro wrote:It would be typical of us to go and get a win against Arsenal and thats what I think will happen 2-1 win, Hyppia to score for them and Benayoun and Gerrard for us  :D

Patience is the key for this game, we must be wary of the counter attack !

So you'd still go with Hyypia?

He's played four matches in two weeks for club & country, and I believe it's showing. I'd give him a rest for this one, even if it does mean throwing in one of the kids.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion