Liverpool spending under rafa - To prove a point !

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:28 pm

bavlondon wrote:
s@int wrote:
Greavesie wrote:Man U squad 2004-2005 - Brown, Ferdinand, Fletcher, Giggs, Heinze, Howard, Neville, Rooney, Ronaldo, Saha, Scholes, Smith, Silverstre, Pique, O'Shea, Djemba-Djemba, Smith, Rossi

Liverpool squad 2004-2005 - Xabi, Baros, Carra, Diao, Dudek, Finnan, Gerrard, Didi, Kewell, Hyypia, Lil Luis, Riise, Traore, Sinama-Pongo, Mellor, Cisse

Not the full squads but you get the gist right? :D 

Dunno about the Mancs but we lost Owen and Rafa bought Luis and Xabi and Cisse was a Gerard masterstroke :D

you can see eight of the names in the scums squad are still there now, our squad then was significantly worse than theirs

Man utd squad 2004/5 - WON NOTHING

Liverpool squad 2004/5 - WON CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

If that squad Rafa inherited was so good then why did we only finish 4th by the skin of our teeth in that final season for GH? You are looking at what other teams achieved as a benchmark for us. That is not a good way to look at it as there could be other external factors which had an effect. In this case it was Chelsea going on the biggest shopping spree in recent times...

We won the CL is not looking at how other clubs did mate?

Lets try to find some things we agree on

1/ Rafa has spent over £200million ?

2/ We finished above the mancs two years before Rafa came, won 3 cups the season before that, won the CL in his first season and the FA CUP in his second. So presumably the team wasn't totaly cr@p?

3/We have won nothing for 3 years while we have been spending heavily and rebuilding?

4/ We seem to finally be getting some reward for our spending

5/ Hopefully we will win something this season.
account deleted by request

Postby Flight » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:30 pm

s@int wrote:Man utd squad 2004/5 - WON NOTHING

Liverpool squad 2004/05 - 30 points off the top of the Prem.
Flight

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:31 pm

s@int wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
s@int wrote:
Greavesie wrote:Man U squad 2004-2005 - Brown, Ferdinand, Fletcher, Giggs, Heinze, Howard, Neville, Rooney, Ronaldo, Saha, Scholes, Smith, Silverstre, Pique, O'Shea, Djemba-Djemba, Smith, Rossi

Liverpool squad 2004-2005 - Xabi, Baros, Carra, Diao, Dudek, Finnan, Gerrard, Didi, Kewell, Hyypia, Lil Luis, Riise, Traore, Sinama-Pongo, Mellor, Cisse

Dunno about the Mancs but we lost Owen and Rafa bought Luis and Xabi and Cisse was a Gerard masterstroke :D

you can see eight of the names in the scums squad are still there now, our squad then was significantly worse than theirs

If that squad Rafa inherited was so good then why did we only finish 4th by the skin of our teeth in that final season for GH? You are looking at what other teams achieved as a benchmark for us. That is not a good way to look at it as there could be other external factors which had an effect. In this case it was Chelsea going on the biggest shopping spree in recent times...

2/ We finished above the mancs two years before Rafa came, won 3 cups the season before that, won the CL in his first season and the FA CUP in his second. So presumably the team wasn't totaly cr@p?

3/We have won nothing for 3 years while we have been spending heavily and rebuilding?

I agree on all those points but for point 2 the direction of the point seems skewed. Despite those things we done prior to Rafa GH was still sacked so there were obviously problems on the pitch. If there were not he wouldn't have been pushed.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:33 pm

Flight wrote:

Not just 30 points but we finished 5th. Where as last season we came so close and finished 2nd. But we threw it away last season so we done it to ourselves.

We have come a long way imo and I have big hopes for this season.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:35 pm

bavlondon wrote:A manc.

aCe, a manc WUM, of course..who would've guessed   :laugh:
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:38 pm

bavlondon wrote:
s@int wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
s@int wrote:

I agree on all those points but for point 2 the direction of the point seems skewed. Despite those things we done prior to Rafa GH was still sacked so there were obviously problems on the pitch. If there were not he wouldn't have been pushed.

The point of number two was that a couple of years previously we had finished above the mancs, so they couldn't have been the superstar team that some try to make them out to be and we couldn't have been so far behind them ..... could we?

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:41 pm

I think at that time Utd were perhaps in their own mini period of transition whilst Chelsea enjoyed their roubles. I'm not saying we were :censored: but things needed a change so it was always likley Rafa would rebuild the team. Are you not happy with the team as it is now? Since then ok we we have not always been consistent in the league but in Europe we are one of the most feared teams. Isnt our coorefficient quite high?

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Flight » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:43 pm

bavlondon wrote:
Flight wrote:

Not just 30 points but we finished 5th. Where as last season we came so close and finished 2nd. But we threw it away last season so we done it to ourselves.

We have come a long way imo and I have big hopes for this season.

Well said.

Bottom line, our first 11 now vrs the Mancs first 11, under Rafas guidance, I'm confident of us beating them 4 times out of 5.
Flight

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:45 pm

Our record generally against the top 4 was excellent last season, something which we previously were not able to say about us under Rafa.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:46 pm

bavlondon wrote:I think at that time Utd were perhaps in their own mini period of transition whilst Chelsea enjoyed their roubles. I'm not saying we were :censored: but things needed a change so it was always likley Rafa would rebuild the team. Are you not happy with the team as it is now? Since then ok we we have not always been consistent in the league but in Europe we are one of the most feared teams. Isnt our coorefficient quite high?

I am becoming happier with the team mate, I won't BE HAPPY until we win the league.

I get little celebration or pleasure from our having "a high co-efficient", I want trophies on the table!  :D

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:48 pm

It's just an indicator of what we are capable of if we find our form. We almost had it last season, I am sure we will win it next season but only if we get another key signing imo.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:49 pm

bavlondon wrote:Our record generally against the top 4 was excellent last season, something which we previously were not able to say about us under Rafa.

Yes it was mate, but just remember though if we had lost both games against the mancs we would have finished 16 POINTS BEHIND THEM, and even with winning both six pointers against the mancs and Chelsea it wasn't enough to win the league.

Will we win all four matches again this season? With the best will in the world I doubt it.   :down:

Postby Igor Zidane » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:08 pm

aCe' wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
aCe' wrote:Torres deal edited but oh fck we still spent more than they did..... who should we change next ?

Ok assuming we did what is the point you are trying to make?

this IS the point im trying to make... keep up fella  :D

Igor i think was saying we spent nowhere near what the Mancs did since Rafa took over... and some agreed with him while other didnt.. this is just to clear things up once and for all.... hopefully ...

doesnt seem to be working though  :laugh:

Don't bring me into this i said no such thing . All i said was that lad was a wum , i mentioned no figures whatsoever . Get your facts right lad .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:00 pm

Right so the point of the thread is Fergie is great and Rafa is a money wasting idiot!

No surprise who started it! :D

Roll on the new season!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:08 pm

Number 9 wrote:Roll on the new season!

Me too.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext