Liverpool spending under rafa - To prove a point !

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:31 am

bigmick wrote:They sold that Frazier Campbell bloke for 7 mill a couple of weeks back too. It's odd to me though how this debate always gets turned into a "there's too many Rafa bashers" session. People throw it in as an excuse, denounce in advance anybody who dares to dispute their numbers, and then when someone proves them to be talking nonsense they say "aw what the feck does it matter anyway".

It doesn't matter. Stop bringing it up then, just accept the FACT that we have spent as much if not more money under Rafa as just about anyone else, and as such it is reasonable to expect a modicum of success. We haven't won a trophy for three seasons, hopefully we will this time around and the debate can be put properly into context.

I never said there were to many rafa bashers , you rafa basher you  :D
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:33 am

Michaels out on the bash again :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:33 am

The bit I don't get about the "young" players, is the only two who Rafa has consistently given a good chance to are Insua and Egg Nog. Insua is a good little player and not many would quibble that, but Egg Nog? I made my mind up about him after about five minutes last season, and although I am more than open (Riera style) to being proven wrong, apparently he's started this season in the same vein as he went through last. To me he plain and simple is a mile away from being good enough, so if these other lads are promising, lets give THEM a go and the other fella can go back into the reserves to find some form/get a clue.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:34 am

NANNY RED wrote:Michaels out on the bash again :laugh:

Not guilty M'am. Not on this occasion anyway  :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:37 am

bigmick wrote:The bit I don't get about the "young" players, is the only two who Rafa has consistently given a good chance to are Insua and Egg Nog. Insua is a good little player and not many would quibble that, but Egg Nog? I made my mind up about him after about five minutes last season, and although I am more than open (Riera style) to being proven wrong, apparently he's started this season in the same vein as he went through last. To me he plain and simple is a mile away from being good enough, so if these other lads are promising, lets give THEM a go and the other fella can go back into the reserves to find some form/get a clue.

To be fair mick , egg nogg did alright today .He held the ball up well and his touch was better than usual . Nemeth though mate clinical. Pancake was a box aof tricks playing in centre mid today . He looked good there and well Hamill i've said enough about that lad ,all he needs is a chance .
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:42 am

Igor Zidane wrote:
bigmick wrote:The bit I don't get about the "young" players, is the only two who Rafa has consistently given a good chance to are Insua and Egg Nog. Insua is a good little player and not many would quibble that, but Egg Nog? I made my mind up about him after about five minutes last season, and although I am more than open (Riera style) to being proven wrong, apparently he's started this season in the same vein as he went through last. To me he plain and simple is a mile away from being good enough, so if these other lads are promising, lets give THEM a go and the other fella can go back into the reserves to find some form/get a clue.

To be fair mick , egg nogg did alright today .He held the ball up well and his touch was better than usual . Nemeth though mate clinical. Pancake was a box aof tricks playing in centre mid today . He looked good there and well Hamill i've said enough about that lad ,all he needs is a chance .

Igor mate, as much as I love you with all my heart  :D , Ngog was actually sh!te today. He had a couple of good turns and all, but his touch and poor intelligence showed why he isn't good enough! I hope he proves me wrong and turns out to be world class in a day, but I really doubt it.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:42 am

It would be great if a couple could make the step up this season, because I am not too keen on who we have to fall back on if they don't.
account deleted by request

Postby metalhead » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:42 am

s@int wrote:It would be great if a couple could make the step up this season, because I am not too keen on who we have to fall back on if they don't.

I predict a bright future for Insua :nod
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:44 am

metalhead wrote:
s@int wrote:It would be great if a couple could make the step up this season, because I am not too keen on who we have to fall back on if they don't.

I predict a bright future for Insua :nod

I already have him in as having stepped up Metalhead. He's our second best left back for me now. (not counting Johnson and Arbeloa of course  :D )
account deleted by request

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:45 am

metalhead wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:

Igor mate, as much as I love you with all my heart  :D , Ngog was actually sh!te today. He had a couple of good turns and all, but his touch and poor intelligence showed why he isn't good enough! I hope he proves me wrong and turns out to be world class in a day, but I really doubt it.

If you know my history mate , me spotting good players is like Nanny not spreading terrible transfer rumours  :;):

Anyway i stand by egg nogg playing better today , few good touches and one two's in there aswell . He's no Titi Camara granted. :D
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:47 am

Igor Zidane wrote:
metalhead wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:

If you know my history mate , me spotting good players is like Nanny not spreading terrible transfer rumours  :;):

Anyway i stand by egg nogg playing better today , few good touches and one two's in there aswell . He's no Titi Camara granted. :D

You should teach stu the red a thing or two about spotting players then :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:47 am

Thought the doss did alright at left mid again today . Defo not a defender but as mick say's maybe there's hope for him at left mid.
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:48 am

Just a quote from Rafa today regarding Nemeth, i put it in the Alonso.thread but ill put it in here an all,

Nemeth came off the substitutes' bench to score twice in the Lion City and has clearly made a favourable impression on his manager.

"He was really good two years ago for the reserve team, scoring a lot of goals but last year he had some problems with injuries," added Benitez.

"But he showed today that he's a good finisher and a player with a future.

"It depends on the players always. If they're knocking on the door and they knock really hard, then I have to hear. This is important and it depends on them."

I personally think the kid is ringing loud an clear on the bell , very impressed wth him today an all
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:50 am

Dossenna was ok, but I do think he is going back to Italy, it will be also hard for him to fight for the left midfield slot with riera and David Silva (If nanny and ciggy's prediction are correct :D)
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:06 am

john craig wrote:Does it really matter that Benitez's net or gross spend is more than United's since he took over?  Look at the gulf in squad quality and depth when Benitez took over and look at it now.  The gap has been well and truly cut to the point where I wouldn't say United are clear favourites to finish above us this season, it will be very close.

Pretty much agree mate. The progression is crystal clear; we now quite arguably have the best first eleven in the league, we may lack relative depth, but our first eleven is right there. When Rafa arrived we were considerably behind Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal. Ideally it would've come about a bit quicker but it required something of an overhaul in the first place; a lot of players needed shipping out, the consequent - and to a certain extent inevitable - filling of gaps ensued, along with a few learning of lessons in the transfer market too, but we're there. A task entirely distinguishable from that of Chelsea in the Abramovich era; for they simply spent more money and in the immediacy, and of the Manc's too for they had the spine of their side in place in the years preceding - and years embryonic - of Rafa's tenure, and in part consequence of this they had the relative luxury of being able to add those £10m, £15m, £20m+ each year to supplement, or renew that existing spine. The inescapable benefit of having a manager of such experience and success in those years has also been a key factor in their ability to sustain their level  over the long-term - notwithstanding blips that are bound to arise during periods of such renewal (here's hoping another is just around the corner). It's one of these threads I no longer care to trudge through because that more or less sums up the reality of the situation in my eyes, something the dragging up of endless nonsense figures may try and obscure, but will never suffice.
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion