Liverpool players season ratings - My personal view

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Thu May 25, 2006 2:51 am

These are my personal ratings for whole of last season

P.Reina 7
Good solid first season, coped with the physical side of the English game better than I expected but would have got an 8 if he dominated his box more. Place in team unthreatened by purchase or Dudec.

S.Finnan 7
Excellent season more than exceeded my expectations and built on his reputation from previous year. Solid in defence, good crosser and hard working. Place in team unthreatened by Kromkamp but possibly by purchase.

J.Carragher 8
Excellent season without reaching dizzy heights of previous year. Proving himself to be one of the very top defenders around. With Finnan perhaps Liverpools most consistant player. Unthreatened place in team.

S.Hyyia 8
Vintage year for Sammi, more consistant and seemed much more comfortable on the ball than last couple of seasons. Still a concern when fast tricky player runs at him but stays on his feet well and rarely lets his lack of pace expose the defence.
Place in team constantly under threat but comes back every year to win it again. Palletta and Agger can learn a great deal from Hyypia.

J.Arne Riise 6
Another hard season for Riise not good enough defensively for full back and cant beat a player for left midfield but makes up for his faults with tireless running, hard work and a wonderful left foot. Place in team genuinely under threat both from new signings and resurgent Kewell.

H.Kewell 7
Almost resurrected his career last season after nightmare previous season. Probably the most improved Liverpool player which seems strange given his age and known quality. Needs to build on his recent performances and fitness if he is to continue to improve his injury tarnished career. Place in team under threat from new signings and the more versatile Riise.

X.Alonso 9
Close to the perfect 10 but lack of mobility still hampered his performances. Incredible passer with a range and vision only matched by Gerrard. Proving to be a more than adequate replacement for the once irreplaceable Hamman. Seemed to be a little quicker in thought and deed compared to previous season. Position not under threat.

M.Sissoko 8
A running and tackling machine, grew with the season to show awesome potential for the future. Passing and control needs work but established himself as a first team player on merit and I feel theres a lot more to come yet. Position not underthreat as he must be accomodated into any system.

S.Gerrard 9.5
Player of the year, top scorer, inspirational captain. Lifted his performances to new heights in a new position. Probably the best midfielder/attacking midfielder in the world with his range of passing,shooting,and will to win second to none. Position not underthreat under any system and no matter who we buy.

P.Crouch 7
Performed above expectation after a problematic start to his Anfield career. Not a prolific goalscorer but a worry to any defence.Heading ability not as good as expected, but couldnt be faulted on work rate, effort and touch. Heading ability and goal tally must be improved if he is to establish himself as our first choice target man next season. Position under threat only from new signings or change of system.

F.Morientes 4
A poor season from one of whom so much was expected. Obvious class and hard work, has been obscured by complete failure to come to terms with speed and physical nature of English game. Needs to reassess and adapt his game completely if he is to remain at Liverpool. Position under obvious threat both from within the club and from any future signings.

D.Cisse 5
A poor season relieved by crucial goals. Fast but not quickthinking, stood flatfooted too much and couldn't react, poor first touch and a poor attitude when not on the ball,have all combined with a lack of effort to reduce a player of obvious talents to a bit part player. Position under severe threat from within and from any future signings.

L.Garcia 6
Inconsistent to the extreme ,combined wonderful goals with attrocious flicks and a frustrating inability to keep possession. Very deceptive player who works hard for the team but obvious physical weaknesses detract from this willingness to compete. Squad player who can and will prove more than useful over the coming season.
account deleted by request

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu May 25, 2006 3:56 am

I'd give JC and Pepe a 9, and Finnan and Sami a 10. They have given us virtually a perfect season defensively.

Alonso only gets an 8 from me, as he wasn't up to scratch in the early part of the season.

Other than that, I agree with your ratings.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Thu May 25, 2006 5:36 am

Sissoko - 9 He has been fantastic, our second slump i mainly attribute to him being out the eye injury. Great all season, always consistent and has given Rafa some tough decisions to make in terms of formation. Sissoko would start in any midfield in the premier league (including Chelsea), Great player with a fantastic future.
Finnan - 9 You hardly seem to notice him, as he makes no mistakes, doesnt turn the ball over and keeps possession well.
Hypia - 9 Still the most dominant ariel CB in the premier league, lack of pace exposed 2-3 times but more than made up for it. Great season, probably his best!
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SammyS » Thu May 25, 2006 10:24 am

I think both Reina, Carragher and Finnan deserved a 9, they were both unbelievably solid and consistant. Oh, and you forgot Traore! :D
SammyS

Postby crazyhorse » Thu May 25, 2006 11:15 am

Reina - 6.Contrary to what some have posted. I am not convinced with Reina. He has looked very good behind a very good back four and has never really faced a lot of pressure.

Kewell - 8. The improved player of the year for me.

Gerrard - 10. Top scorer and inspirational captain. Without him we would have struggled to qualify for the CL and would have lost th cup final.

Cisse - 3. Useless. No positional sense, a poor mans Baros.

Morro - 4. Not cutting the mustard. Not enough pace for the PL.

Carra - 8. Rock solid. Would die for the reds.

Hyppia - 7.5. Legs are slowing but still assured, one of the top five central defenders in the league still.

Finnan - 7. Very steady, has a good understanding with Stevie down the right.

Risse - 6. Powerful and direct, but not a great defender.

Garcia 7. Once again has scored important goals, but his use of the ball is not good enough.

Crouch - 7. Reasonable first season but needs to score more goals next year.

Fowler - 6.5. If he can keep fit, very useful.

Alonso - 8. The best ground passer in Europe. Almost the complete midfielder.

Sissoko - 8. A great signing. Tireless no frills midfielder who has been a rock this season. He can only improve.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu May 25, 2006 11:27 am

crazyhorse wrote:Reina - 6.Contrary to what some have posted. I am not convinced with Reina. He has looked very good behind a very good back four and has never really faced a lot of pressure.

How the fu.ck (no apologies for swearing) can you not be convinced by the lad ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Thu May 25, 2006 11:42 am

P.Reina 7

S.Finnan 7.5

J.Carragher 8.5

S.Hyyia 8

J.Arne Riise 7

H.Kewell 7

X.Alonso 9

M.Sissoko 8.5

S.Gerrard 10

P.Crouch 7

F.Morientes 5.5

D.Cisse 7.5

L.Garcia 7
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Garymac » Thu May 25, 2006 12:10 pm

Its a known fact i dont rate Cisse but 3 out of 10, the lad got 19 goals, and id hardly call him a poor mans Baros.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby Kukilon » Thu May 25, 2006 12:20 pm

P.Reina 9 "One of the five best keepers in the world but he has some problems with corners etc"

S.Finnan 8

J.Carragher 9,5

S.Hyyia 9

J.Arne Riise 7

H.Kewell 7,5 "Excellent in some games and then he just dissapears in others"

X.Alonso 8,5

M.Sissoko 8.5

S.Gerrard 10

P.Crouch 7

F.Morientes 4.5 "I don't know what went wrong but I loved this guy when he played for Monaco and Real Madrid"

D.Cisse 6,5 "Hustle more your lazy boy you can't ask for more goals though. He hasn't got a lot of chances in his natural position"

L.Garcia 7

D.Traore 4,5 "He hustles but he ain't good enough"

D. Hamann 9 "Never complains and he always gives his all when he gets the chance, seems to bring so much stability with him when he plays"

B. Zenden 5 "Had some descent games until his injury but doesn't convince me"

S. Warnock 7 "Not great and not bad does what he should"

R. Fowler 8 "Has done everything you could ask from him, hustles and scores goals"

D. Agger 6 "Haven't convinced me yet but he has played so little that it's impossible to give him a real rating.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby crazyhorse » Thu May 25, 2006 1:45 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
crazyhorse wrote:Reina - 6.Contrary to what some have posted. I am not convinced with Reina. He has looked very good behind a very good back four and has never really faced a lot of pressure.

Look, imo the lad is a good keeper. But i do not consider him to be in the class of Buffon et al.

He has looked good this year in patches, and has proven himself a shotstopper of the highest caliber (the one in the cup final was save of the season).

However he has made mistakes between the sticks that the very best do not.

I gave him a 6 because he has some improving to do in my opinion - i am not saying he is a bad keeper as he is obviously one of the best around but having said that he has the potential to be very special. I would like to see that. For instance Stevie has been given a 10 or 9 by most because he is a complete player - Reina is not.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu May 25, 2006 1:49 pm

crazyhorse wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

Look, imo the lad is a good keeper. But i do not consider him to be in the class of Buffon et al.

He has looked good this year in patches, and has proven himself a shotstopper of the highest caliber (the one in the cup final was save of the season).

I gave him a 6 because he has some improving to do in my opinion - i am not saying he is a bad keeper as he is obviously one of the best around but having said that he has the potential to be very special. I would like to see that. For instance Stevie has been given a 10 or 9 by most because he is a complete player - Reina is not.

All keepers make mistakes. Cech has made blunders for Chelsea this year but he's still a good keeper. A sign of a good keeper is when he doesn't let one mistake affect his confidence (This is why Dudek is no longer number one)

He's made some fantastic saves when he has been tested. Apart from the saves made in the cup final after his mistakes [didn't let that affect him], he made great saves against Boro at Anfield [two clear cut chances] and against Man City. Those are just some of the saves that saved us from conceding a goal.
Last edited by A.B. on Thu May 25, 2006 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby deejay-cgt » Thu May 25, 2006 3:42 pm

cisse better than 3/10 more around 5/10 because his goal tally good even tho he not played great
CgT

deejay-cgt

Postby metalhead » Thu May 25, 2006 9:32 pm

A.B. wrote:
crazyhorse wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

All keepers make mistakes. Cech has made blunders for Chelsea this year but he's still a good keeper. A sign of a good keeper is when he doesn't let one mistake affect his confidence (This is why Dudek is no longer number one)

He's made some fantastic saves when he has been tested. Apart from the saves made in the cup final after his mistakes [didn't let that affect him], he made great saves against Boro at Anfield [two clear cut chances] and against Man City. Those are just some of the saves that saved us from conceding a goal.

Agreed

He did mistakes in the F.A cup final, but he corrected these mistakes by pulling off a fantastic save in dieng minutes of the 2nd extra time and was the hero during the penalty shootout.

Reina is a great keeper
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gato_busta » Thu May 25, 2006 9:52 pm

crazyhorse wrote:Stevie has been given a 10 or 9 by most because he is a complete player - Reina is not.

You're right, Reina should be a more complete player. All he does is stand in front of goal. He should be running up the field with the rest of the guys and scoring some goals!  :rasp

I dont really understand your logic. Reina has been great this season and is a very complete young goalkeeper. Maybe he is not a complete player as Stevie but, unless someone can prove me wrong, I doubt Stevie is any good as a goal keeper. Having that in mind, maybe we should all give a lower score to good old Stevie since he is not as complete as we all think!

Really though, I think Reina has been exceptional this season. Our defensive line has been the same as last season (players), their improvement I think has been thanks to Pepe. Sure many may say that the defense in front of him did most of the work but Reina has been comanding the defensive line superbly from goal. I think that is one think Dudek lacks for which Reina became our No.1 keeper so quickly.
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Postby Bad Bob » Thu May 25, 2006 10:03 pm

gato_busta wrote:Really though, I think Reina has been exceptional this season. Our defensive line has been the same as last season (players), their improvement I think has been thanks to Pepe. Sure many may say that the defense in front of him did most of the work but Reina has been comanding the defensive line superbly from goal. I think that is one think Dudek lacks for which Reina became our No.1 keeper so quickly.

For me it's a mutual thing...

As I've said in other Pepe posts in the past, Reina gives the back four more confidence than they had in Dudek: he communicates better, he anticipates danger better, he sweeps up balls over the top better, he distributes better, etc...As such, he lets them play a high line and helps them play their game.

On the other side of the coin, the back four have really gelled this year.  First of all, Traore's out and Riise's in--a quantum leap forward and a key reason why our defense has been so stingy.  Riise may not be flash, he's not always the best defensively but he works bloody hard, rarely gets skint for pace, doesn't commit stupid fouls (NO CARDS ALL SEASON!) and, as such, fills Carra and especially Sami with more confidence.  A second, very important factor, though, is that the back four have now had enough time to absorb Rafa's ideas about defensive positioning, distribution, zonal marking, etc.  A year ago, they were new to the system and the growing pains were evident.  This season the penny's dropped and we have all of those clean sheets to show for it.

So, in sum: Reina's better than Dudek, which makes the back four play better.  And, the back four have evolved to fit Rafa's system, which protects Reina a great deal.  It's symbiosis at its finest and long may it continue!  :buttrock
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion