Liverpool "in talks with chelsea on duff" - From the independent

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:27 am

Looks like a pretty groundless headline after you read the article...

---

Liverpool target Duff as Gerrard cuts ties

By Andy Hunter and Jason Burt
Published: 06 July 2005

Chelsea's chief executive Peter Kenyon was locked in negotiations with his Liverpool counterpart Rick Parry last night as Steven Gerrard felt the wrath of fans angry at his decision to quit Anfield.

The Liverpool captain ended 13 months of intense speculation over his Anfield future yesterday by informing Parry that he wants to bring his 17-year association with the club to an end. Liverpool had earlier rejected a £32m faxed offer from Premiership champions Chelsea for the services of their 25-year-old captain.

The Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, however, is determined not to miss out on the England midfielder for a second successive summer and, encouraged by the sudden deterioration of relations at Anfield, is prepared to break the British transfer record.

After a turbulent day on Merseyside, Kenyon contacted Parry in an attempt to finalise a deal before Real Madrid enter a bidding war. But he may have to raise his offer to £35m before Liverpool consider parting with their prize asset. There is even the suggestion that Liverpool could demand a player as well as cash, with Damien Duff, William Gallas and Joe Cole possible targets.

Liverpool had earlier offered their dynamic captain the £100,000-a-week, four-year contract he was seeking when talks commenced last Wednesday. After considering the offer overnight, however, Gerrard informed Parry he was rejecting the deal and wished to sever ties with his boyhood club.

The decision sparked an inevitable backlash on Merseyside, with supporters angered and bemused by the midfielder's decision only six weeks after leading the club to a memorable triumph in the European Cup.

Gerrard later revealed he had been agonising over his future ever since that victory over Milan on 25 May, suggesting he had not opted to go purely in dismay at Liverpool's failure to make him a firm contract offer last week.

The midfielder said: "The last six weeks have been the toughest of my life. The decision I have come to has been the hardest decision I have ever had to make. I fully intended to sign a new contract after the Champions' League final, but the events of the past five or six weeks have changed all that.

"I have too much respect for the club and the people at it to get involved in a slanging match."

Gerrard is known to want his departure confirmed swiftly, an intention that will suit Chelsea as they try to stay ahead of Madrid in the race for the former Anfield hero. Gerrard drove through a crowd of angry fans outside the club's training complex yesterday and would prefer to avoid another hostile confrontation when he is expected back at pre-season training today.

Gerrard, who joined Liverpool as an eight-year-old, has yet to make a formal transfer request but after he made his position clear Liverpool have been left with little option but to sell to the highest bidder.

They would prefer to await developments at the Bernabeu, where interest from Real could drive the player's price higher, although a swift end to a saga that first erupted at Euro 2004 would also suit Liverpool's manager, Rafael Benitez, as he tries to rebuild. There has also been the suggestion - strongly refuted - that Liverpool were keen to bank £30m plus for a player who cost them nothing in order for Benitez to add to his squad.

But a resigned Parry said yesterday: "We desperately want to keep Stevie and we've told him we don't want him to leave. However, in rejecting our offer of a new contract he has indicated he wants to go."

A statement added: "The club has made it crystal clear we want to keep Steven at Anfield.

"Sadly, he has told us that he will not accept our offer of an improved and extended contract because he wants to leave Liverpool. We very much regret the decision he has taken."

Gerrard can expect to command a salary in excess of £100,000 a week from both Real Madrid and Chelsea, although that would have repercussions even for Abramovich as the midfielder Frank Lampard and captain John Terry would seek parity with the club's illustrious arrival.

Gerrard insists that money is not at the root of his disillusionment, and the wage demands he made of the Anfield board were less than Chelsea offered last summer. He is desperate to add a league winner's medal to his collection, however, and having voiced his frustration at Liverpool's poor Premiership form several times last season his dramatic U-turn will have been done with that in mind.

Parry confirmed as much last night: "To be fair to Stevie, it is not an issue of money," Parry said. "Money was not a problem; this is about long-term ambition and a feeling about where he wants to be and winning trophies. Presumably, he feels that is elsewhere.

"The club has to be bigger than any individual," Parry added. "It's the ups and downs of football. We must move on. He has made it clear he wants to go. We have done our best and I think it looks pretty final.

"We sat down with him last summer and we understood his frustrations - it was to do with perceived lack of success. We said, 'Stick with it and see what we achieve' and we thought we achieved quite a lot. What better sign is there that the club is going in the right direction [than winning the Champions' League]?" Parry asked.

Chelsea's chief executive Peter Kenyon was locked in negotiations with his Liverpool counterpart Rick Parry last night as Steven Gerrard felt the wrath of fans angry at his decision to quit Anfield.

The Liverpool captain ended 13 months of intense speculation over his Anfield future yesterday by informing Parry that he wants to bring his 17-year association with the club to an end. Liverpool had earlier rejected a £32m faxed offer from Premiership champions Chelsea for the services of their 25-year-old captain.

The Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, however, is determined not to miss out on the England midfielder for a second successive summer and, encouraged by the sudden deterioration of relations at Anfield, is prepared to break the British transfer record.

After a turbulent day on Merseyside, Kenyon contacted Parry in an attempt to finalise a deal before Real Madrid enter a bidding war. But he may have to raise his offer to £35m before Liverpool consider parting with their prize asset. There is even the suggestion that Liverpool could demand a player as well as cash, with Damien Duff, William Gallas and Joe Cole possible targets.

Liverpool had earlier offered their dynamic captain the £100,000-a-week, four-year contract he was seeking when talks commenced last Wednesday. After considering the offer overnight, however, Gerrard informed Parry he was rejecting the deal and wished to sever ties with his boyhood club.

The decision sparked an inevitable backlash on Merseyside, with supporters angered and bemused by the midfielder's decision only six weeks after leading the club to a memorable triumph in the European Cup.

Gerrard later revealed he had been agonising over his future ever since that victory over Milan on 25 May, suggesting he had not opted to go purely in dismay at Liverpool's failure to make him a firm contract offer last week.

The midfielder said: "The last six weeks have been the toughest of my life. The decision I have come to has been the hardest decision I have ever had to make. I fully intended to sign a new contract after the Champions' League final, but the events of the past five or six weeks have changed all that.

"I have too much respect for the club and the people at it to get involved in a slanging match."

Gerrard is known to want his departure confirmed swiftly, an intention that will suit Chelsea as they try to stay ahead of Madrid in the race for the former Anfield hero. Gerrard drove through a crowd of angry fans outside the club's training complex yesterday and would prefer to avoid another hostile confrontation when he is expected back at pre-season training today.
Gerrard, who joined Liverpool as an eight-year-old, has yet to make a formal transfer request but after he made his position clear Liverpool have been left with little option but to sell to the highest bidder.

They would prefer to await developments at the Bernabeu, where interest from Real could drive the player's price higher, although a swift end to a saga that first erupted at Euro 2004 would also suit Liverpool's manager, Rafael Benitez, as he tries to rebuild. There has also been the suggestion - strongly refuted - that Liverpool were keen to bank £30m plus for a player who cost them nothing in order for Benitez to add to his squad.

But a resigned Parry said yesterday: "We desperately want to keep Stevie and we've told him we don't want him to leave. However, in rejecting our offer of a new contract he has indicated he wants to go."

A statement added: "The club has made it crystal clear we want to keep Steven at Anfield.

"Sadly, he has told us that he will not accept our offer of an improved and extended contract because he wants to leave Liverpool. We very much regret the decision he has taken."

Gerrard can expect to command a salary in excess of £100,000 a week from both Real Madrid and Chelsea, although that would have repercussions even for Abramovich as the midfielder Frank Lampard and captain John Terry would seek parity with the club's illustrious arrival.

Gerrard insists that money is not at the root of his disillusionment, and the wage demands he made of the Anfield board were less than Chelsea offered last summer. He is desperate to add a league winner's medal to his collection, however, and having voiced his frustration at Liverpool's poor Premiership form several times last season his dramatic U-turn will have been done with that in mind.

Parry confirmed as much last night: "To be fair to Stevie, it is not an issue of money," Parry said. "Money was not a problem; this is about long-term ambition and a feeling about where he wants to be and winning trophies. Presumably, he feels that is elsewhere.

"The club has to be bigger than any individual," Parry added. "It's the ups and downs of football. We must move on. He has made it clear he wants to go. We have done our best and I think it looks pretty final.

"We sat down with him last summer and we understood his frustrations - it was to do with perceived lack of success. We said, 'Stick with it and see what we achieve' and we thought we achieved quite a lot. What better sign is there that the club is going in the right direction [than winning the Champions' League]?" Parry asked.
ivor_the_injun

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:30 am

Apologies for the misleading quote in the title, incidentally. I paraphrased two sentences really badly. I'm a wee bit drunk. :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby ALONSO_14 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:36 am

sweet just as i said the only player i wanted from chelsea we may have a chance of getting its either duff and cash or just cash for me from chelsea
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:01 am

Id defo take gallas as well hes quality
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby 76-1115222408 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:12 am

Garymac wrote:Id defo take gallas as well hes quality

Yea Gallas is quality. Quick, strong and versatile (CB/LB) and Henry says HE is the ONE defender he hates playing against because he is so good.

Would be a very welcome addition to the team.
76-1115222408

Postby ALONSO_14 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:18 am

i would welcome 30m + gallas for sure but i wouldnt like it if the deal was something like 20m + gallas
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skipper » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:23 am

30m and duff wouldnt be too bad either.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ALONSO_14 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:29 am

that would be even better, that would be a dream
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:33 am

£50m, Duff, Gallas, and Bridge. Bast*rds.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MCYan » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:34 am

LIVERPOOLANYTIME wrote:
Garymac wrote:Id defo take gallas as well hes quality

Yea Gallas is quality. Quick, strong and versatile (CB/LB) and Henry says HE is the ONE defender he hates playing against because he is so good.

Would be a very welcome addition to the team.

Yes Henry says so because he is French lol...
MCYan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skipper » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:35 am

Well said Lando_Griffin, chelsea is so filthy rich.  They should pay us 50+ m and 2 or 3 quality players.  If not, I would settle for 30+ and duff and/or gallas.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrLiverpool » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:37 am

i can see it being an "undisclosed fee" :D
*I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong*
DrLiverpool
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:38 am

I sure like the sound of 30m + Gallas, but personally I want to see Madrid or Barca win out in the battle because I would hate to see Gerrard playing for the chelski scum...
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skipper » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:44 am

Yea, chelsea can offer us 30+ and a player at a position of need.  However, it would suck to see gerrard play for chelsea.  We'll see.  It wont be too easy replacing gerrard, but rafa can do it.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:49 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:£50m, Duff, Gallas, and Bridge. Bast*rds.

:D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion