Liverpool full backs - Different jobs?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:40 am

I don't know if it's just me or do the Liverpool full backs seem to have different amounts of freedom.

Steve Finnan always seems a little restricted to get forward, now I don't know if this is Rafa's tactics or just how Finnan plays because on the opposite flank, which ever of our left backs is playing always seems free to bomb on forward. So I was just wondering if Finnan isn't as comfortable going forward or has he been told to sit back by Rafa.

Another point on our full backs is Rafa has constantly tried to bring a fresh right back in, but Finnan has always proven to be too good for them, so when will Rafa see that Finnan is possibly the world's best right back. Josemi, Kromkamp and now Arbeloa, yet Finnan seems to keep his place, are these bad buys by Rafa or is Finnan that good a right back?

Anyone see things differently?
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:49 am

I don't think Finnan is restricted whatsoever, the number of times he has supplied quality crosses and offered support down the right is little different to what our left fullbacks have offered, in fact, I'd say Finnan's timing of when to support has been excellent since Rafa arrived.

As for him being the best full back in the world, I don't like the notion. He suits us, he's not the most talented player in the world but he's very effective and very efficient at what he does. He's a seasoned professional, he knows what his job is there's no messing around with flashy stepovers, he just cracks on with what he does best.

As for Rafa's other signings at right back, I suppose they are all stop gap signings, he's never had the opportunity to spend upwards of £6m on a full back.
LFC2007

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:52 am

I forgot to mention that when Finnan does go forward he does supply us with such quality, which was the real reason to the start of this thread, is this just Finnan picking his time to go forward or is he restricted to just a few runs forward per game, because if he is restricted then why because we have all seen his quality of crosses when he does go forward so surely he should be forward at every given point.

6mill on a full back, I don't think is needed for the right, I don't see how we're gonna get a better right back than Finnan unless Alves joins and that seems unlikely, but on the left I'd happily see us spend 6 mill on Matty Taylor I think he has true quality and versitility.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby duk » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:32 am

Finnan is just brilliant in a Liverpool shirt
We just need a left footed version now
duk

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:40 am

No Finnan is not restricted at all. In contrast to his thoughtful advances however, Riise can be a little too gung-ho on occasions and the Irishman can appear circumspect in comparison.

With the greatest respect though, to suggest Finnan is the best right back in the World is some way off the mark. He is far from being the best right back in the Premiership and so much do I disagree with your opinion, I have to ask if you are actually being serious?
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:09 pm

[No Finnan is not restricted at all. In contrast to his thoughtful advances however, Riise can be a little too gung-ho on occasions and the Irishman can appear circumspect in comparison.

With the greatest respect though, to suggest Finnan is the best right back in the World is some way off the mark. He is far from being the best right back in the Premiership and so much do I disagree with your opinion, I have to ask if you are actually being serious? ][I]

Who do you rate as a better right back in EPL?
burjennio

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion