Liverpool eyeing steven taylor

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:20 pm

Liverpool are homing in on Newcastle United centre-back Steven Taylor.

Rafael Benitez had the 19-year-old watched while on international duty with the England Under 21's earlier this week when he played the full ninety minutes against Holland at Derby County's Pride Park.

Former Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier had already started making attempts to bring the highly-rated player to Anfield and when he left the club, the dossier on Taylor was handed to Rafael Benitez.

Rafa is very impressed with what he has seen of Taylor so far this campaign, especially the player's recent conversion to a temporary full-back. Although more confortable in the centre, Taylor, who can also play in midfield, admitted only this week that he is happy to play as a full-back.

"Centre-half is my preferred position, but I'm not too bothered going to right-back," said the player when asked if he was upset at having to play out of position.

Taylor hasn't made the bench for Newcastle's last two games against Manchester City and Charlton with Souness preferring to select the versatile Aaron Hughes for cover instead.

Reports in the north east insist that Liverpool are sniffing around the player while sources on Merseyside insist that Gerard Houllier has been assisting Rafael Benitez behind the scenes this last week in terms of providing helpful information which could help the transfer become a reality.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:23 pm

my boss is amad geordie fan and knows that this kid we are looking at getting is different class. Go for it i say, im glad benitez is going for youht and english youth at that, hes getting a top mix
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:25 pm

dawson99 wrote:my boss is amad geordie fan and knows that this kid we are looking at getting is different class. Go for it i say, im glad benitez is going for youht and english youth at that, hes getting a top mix

mmmmmmmmmm................... yer but not if Houlliers helpin him :D  maybe hes telling him to sign these players so he will get the sack like him, no only jokin, I doubt Rafa would listen to anyone, if he wants the scouts to moniter, someone I dont think it will be on someones elses info.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:28 am

The Taylor thing sounds promising, but Houllier helping Rafa. That, I don't like. For all we know, Houllier could be whispering to Rafa about Diouf's younger brother.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Macgregor » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:39 am

If he is any good, why are Newcastle going to let him go ?
Red Macgregor

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:51 am

Seen him live two times, twice for Newcastle reserves, the first time was as a 17 year old at the reebok and he stood out like saw thumb. Everything he done was quality. Good passes, good tackles, good clearances, good headers, good anticipation and composure.

Good defender, good on the ball, big lad and quick aswell.

With the right coaching in the right team he could become a top class centre half. I'd put him potentially in the same class as John Terry and John Woodgate, he's a good player now as he is aswell, learning from Sami, Pellegrino and Jamie wouldn't do him any harm.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing it, but i can't for the life of me see Souness being stupid enough to let him leave.

Theres some outstanding young players in the north east at the minute, Steven Taylor, Tony McMahon and Stewart Downing all have what it takes to become top players in my opinion.
115-1073096938

Postby Starbridge42 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:51 am

Well I for 1 alwasy thought Houllier could spot potential but had the man-management skills of a blind donkey.  I think Houllier would make a good scout and if he says a player ahs potential I still believe him and more importantly i think Rafa can help them reach it :)
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:50 am

Starbridge42 wrote:Well I for 1 alwasy thought Houllier could spot potential but had the man-management skills of a blind donkey.  I think Houllier would make a good scout and if he says a player ahs potential I still believe him and more importantly i think Rafa can help them reach it :)

Since you put it like that, I'm starting to be swayed. It's true that even some of Houllier's abject failures did show potential and in the case of Diouf, look what sort of player he has become under Big Sam. Okay his salivor glands are a bit overactive, but he's actually been playing really well. Under Benitez, even Diao and Biscan have put in some good perfomances.
I'll stick to my guns in saying thet Houllier was (by the end) a poor manager to say the least, but as a scout, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liamac » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:25 am

Im happy for  Houllier to point players out to Raffa , the guy obviously  wants still  and always will love Liverpool  . He has always been good at spotting talent , just  completey useless at exploiting that talent...........something  we have all come to happily realise  that Raffa has in abundance  in getting the best out of a player
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:32 am

Only thing i know about steven taylor....he is awesome in champ manager.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:42 am

what u also have to remember is that diouff was signed and scouted before he was virtually player of the entire world cup in korea.
As for why let him go if hes good? leeds soon enough let carson go. Young players are on different contracts and if we get this lad it has to be good
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:48 am

Apparently Souness is not one bit happy at Liverpool scouting his boy, but if he wants to come to a BETTER club then he will. :D

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:10 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Apparently Souness is not one bit happy at Liverpool scouting his boy, but if he wants to come to a BETTER club then he will. :D

When is Souness happy at ANYTHING Liverpool does  ???

I don't know what Souness is worrying about , he won't be at Newcastle come the end of the season anyway  :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:34 pm

Remember too the UEFA decision about Foreign/Domestic players.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1105722616 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:39 pm

as long as he makes an effort, he can play for us and ill be happy
109-1105722616

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion