Liverpool eyeing new defender

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby polygemus » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:49 am

We should build our youth grooming system after the world renown Ajax Youth Academy. Even West Ham's youth academy is slightly better than ours (in spite of the gross mismangement in their 1st team football)

Graduates of West Ham youth academy:
1. Lampard
2. Joe Cole (would be 1st choice at any other club other than Chelsea)
3. Michael Carrick (largely annoymous now)
4. Jermain Defoe (actually more of a Charlton youth product)
5. Glen Johnson (would be 1st choice at any other club other than Chelsea)

And I agree totally that it is time for Zak Whitbread and David Raven to play more prominent roles. Hyppia is past his prime at CB. At RB we can ship off the disastrous Josemi and let Raven be the backup to Steve Finnan.
polygemus

Postby The_Rock » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:23 am

i think it is more of a circle... check this out.

1st it was Manure.....with giggs, beckham, schole...etc.

then it was us ...with fowler, owen, mcmananman, carra

then it was westham...with the above mentioned players.

now it seems to be middlesboro.......

it seems to be going around.

Have to say arsenal has to have the best breeding ground for non-english players. Their latest right-back is great (not sure of his name). He ran rings around the sheffield united defence.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:19 pm

The_Rock wrote:i think it is more of a circle... check this out.

1st it was Manure.....with giggs, beckham, schole...etc.

then it was us ...with fowler, owen, mcmananman, carra

then it was westham...with the above mentioned players.

now it seems to be middlesboro.......

it seems to be going around.

Have to say arsenal has to have the best breeding ground for non-english players. Their latest right-back is great (not sure of his name). He ran rings around the sheffield united defence.

Emmanuel Eboue
they signed him in the transfer window from Beveren.
I watched the game, he looks like a good prospect.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:27 pm

Can't help but think that we missed the opportunity to sign Michael Dawson during the window. He + Andy Reid for £8M I though was a good price to pay.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:31 pm

Santa wrote:Can't help but think that we missed the opportunity to sign Michael Dawson during the window. He + Andy Reid for £8M I though was a good price to pay.

but if we just wait for the summer we could do a whole lot more, than 3 signings.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:35 pm

The Canadian Red Army wrote:
Santa wrote:Can't help but think that we missed the opportunity to sign Michael Dawson during the window. He + Andy Reid for £8M I though was a good price to pay.

but if we just wait for the summer we could do a whole lot more, than 3 signings.

yes but what price will you put on the 4th place finish and progressing another round or two in CL...?

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:37 pm

Santa are we looking for World Class players or Premiership Class players? In order to seriously challenge the title we need World Class players and Rafa is looking for those players.

Dawson and Reid World Class players? I don't think so.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Santa » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:45 pm

Carragher world class? I don't think so...but we all admire his no-nonsense approach.

We don't need a team full of world-class prima donnas. Just good solid players who will suit the English game and played to Rafa's tactics. You need to understand that, at present, our squad are wafer thin. The reserve can't step up and replace those injured. Of course we do need some world class players, someone who can make a difference in tough situations...someone like Morientes and Alonso, but to expect every signing to be world class? dream on...

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:52 pm

No I don't expect us to sign all world class players however at the back we need at least one world class defender not some defenders that just now made out of the Championship. They could play well for Tottenham and turn to be a flop with us as this kind of thing has happened before where players such as Biscan,Diouf,etc.. played well for their country and previous clubs but turned to be nothing but below average footballers for us.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Santa » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:13 pm

A.B. I don't have a crystal ball so I can't argue when you put it that way. As a matter of fact, what makes you think that signing a world class player won't turned out to be a complete waste of time and money for us, beside costing a bomb?

Also to answer your question, we don't necessary need a world class defender...only 4 solid ones who can play as a unit. We didn't sign Hyypia (from a 2nd rated Dutch club) or Alonso when they are household names. They just fit into our system and are able to show their full potential, so don't be so quick to judge a player just because of the club they are playing with. I remember Henchoz was with a Blackburn team that have one of the worst goals against record in the league. Didn't he strike up a good partnership with the equally unheard of Hyypia at the centre of our defence? Food for though huh?

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:16 pm

Santa wrote:A.B. I don't have a crystal ball so I can't argue when you put it that way. As a matter of fact, what makes you think that signing a world class player won't turned out to be a complete waste of time and money for us, beside costing a bomb?

Also to answer your question, we don't necessary need a world class defender...only 4 solid ones who can play as a unit. We didn't sign Hyypia (from a 2nd rated Dutch club) or Alonso when they are household names. They just fit into our system and are able to show their full potential, so don't be so quick to judge a player just because of the club they are playing with. I remember Henchoz was with a Blackburn team that have one of the worst goals against record in the league. Didn't he strike up a good partnership with the equally unheard of Hyypia at the centre of our defence? Food for though huh?

Fair enough but perhaps there are better players out there than those you mentioned.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Santa » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:49 pm

Of course there are better ones out there but 1) are they available? 2) will they sign for us? 3) how much will they cost?

One name I will put forward is Philippe Mexes...

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:41 pm

Santa wrote:Of course there are better ones out there but 1) are they available? 2) will they sign for us? 3) how much will they cost?

One name I will put forward is Philippe Mexes...

You joking right have you seen how reckless he is  ???  not to menetion how many times his bein sent off this season his a ****** defender and a thug.
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:35 pm

was gonna say the same thing great one,

has a lot of talent, but his discipline is a severe problem.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby polygemus » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:49 am

From Santa
only 4 solid ones who can play as a unit.

Agreed. Our meanest defence was during the season when Hyppia, Henchoz, Carragher and Babbel gel together. None of them are world class, but as a unit they prove extremely effective.
polygemus

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion