Liverpool complete signing of 15-year-old spanish - Jesus joaquin fernandez

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:24 am

bigmick wrote:People keep saying footballs changed, in many ways it has. The youth set up at Liverpool certainly has. We used to produce players, now we don't. There's a change for you for starters.

You can be as sarky as you like about it mate, but Eniglish football has changed masively, like it or not.

The 70's and 80's are long gone.  If we want to get back to the top we have to roll with the times, and that means getting in the best of the best regardless of nationality.

The youth system at Liverpool hasn't produced anything decent since Steven Gerrard.  The rot had set in long before Benitez came here, but at least he's trying to change it.  But hey, it's nothing to do with Heighway, Hamburg, or whoever the fu.ck else has been involved with the youth team.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:26 am

s@int wrote:
bigmick wrote:People keep saying footballs changed, in many ways it has. The youth set up at Liverpool certainly has. We used to produce players, now we don't. There's a change for you for starters.

We are just unlucky mate, if only they had sold the X-box and playstation world wide rather than just in England we would have been laughing.  :D

And meanwhile S@int that'll be why the England football team can't win a game, either at senior level or at under 21 level. We simply haven't got any good players in England any more.

We scoured the whole of the British isles and the best young player we could find was Jay Spearing. They simply aren't there mate.

Now, where's that Julio bloke play again, I must check out Youtube to see if he has any technical ability.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:29 am

john craig wrote:

You can be as sarky as you like about it mate, but Eniglish football has changed masively, like it or not.

The 70's and 80's are long gone.  If we want to get back to the top we have to roll with the times, and that means getting in the best of the best regardless of nationality.

The youth system at Liverpool hasn't produced anything decent since Steven Gerrard.  The rot had set in long before Benitez came here, but at least he's trying to change it.  But hey, it's nothing to do with Heighway, Hamburg, or whoever the fu.ck else has been involved with the youth team.

Hamburg was only at Liverpool for two years John and during that time there was a war going on between the Academy and Rafa (nothing to do with Hamburg only the fact that Parry signed him). Bit harsh to include him mate.
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:29 am

john craig wrote:

John I agree we have to get the players in regardless of nationality who have the best chance of making it. That's not to say they are necessarily the best players at 15 years old or whatever, but they must have enough scope to develop into the best players.

Now the fact that our best young British player is Jay Spearing just about sums up the situation. Our best youngster is destined for a career with Tranmere Rovers.

I agree that it's a good thing that the manager is doing something about the situation, I just don't happen to think he's doing the right thing.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:37 am

bigmick wrote:
john craig wrote:

John I agree we have to get the players in regardless of nationality who have the best chance of making it. That's not to say they are necessarily the best players at 15 years old or whatever, but they must have enough scope to develop into the best players.

Now the fact that our best young British player is Jay Spearing just about sums up the situation. Our best youngster is destined for a career with Tranmere Rovers.

I agree that it's a good thing that the manager is doing something about the situation, I just don't happen to think he's doing the right thing.

Fair enough Mick.

I'll agree with you on one thing.  Spearing has as much chance of being a Premiership midfielder as my 15 year old sister, but anyway....

Personally I think that our problem lies more in development of talent rather than recognition of talent.  Did we really think Gary Ablett was the man to bring take our 'talented' youngsters to the next level? Was he fu.ck.  I don't think there's any less talent in our youth ranks than in Arsenal's or United's, but we're not bringing out the best in it.

For the record, do we think John McMahon is going to do a better job than Ablett??  If so why?  FFS Barce had Guardiola managing the reserve team, can you see Gary Ablett winning the European Cup?  We need to improve the level of coaching for these kids imo.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:43 am

s@int wrote:
john craig wrote:

Hamburg was only at Liverpool for two years John and during that time there was a war going on between the Academy and Rafa (nothing to do with Hamburg only the fact that Parry signed him). Bit harsh to include him mate.

Fair enough.  Maybe it was harsh to include Hamburg.  Same goes for Elias 'the man who discovered Bridge and Walcott'.  Fact is though they arrived with big reputations and did nothing.  I personally don't think they were given enough time, but my problem is not with individuals and I don't mean to be having a dig at them.  My point is I don't think we have the quality of coaching that we should.  I maintain that we have talented youngsters.  Why do they never progress to the first team?  That's the big question.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:56 am

I think part of the problem is players now are chosen too early. The problem is its very difficult to pick out players at 16 (or younger) who will eventually make it. It's always been a source of frustration for the FA and other federations that so few who play for the national side at youth level ever make it into professional football.

Gerrard for example never played for England school boys.  While the side that Owen played in was considered exceptionally successful with 4 players going on to careers in pro football.

Lots of young lads only develop physically after 16 but by that time the clubs are no longer interested in them. If they have not been picked up by the time they are 16 no one wants to know.

I watched a program about Ajax scouting Africa for players. They had a hard and fast rule, if you were over 16 they were not interested.(Which is probably why there are so many rumours about African players being much older than their official age)

There have always been very successful players that have been given the chance later in their career.... I doubt very much whether Beattie (19)off Ipswich, Ian Wright(21), Steve Heighway, Brian Hall etc would be given the same chance today. 

Maybe the desperate search for young talent has gone too far, kids as young as 4 and five are being picked up by clubs now. Soon you will be considered too old to make the grade if you havent been picked up before your out of nappies. (still a chance for GYBS then )
:D
Last edited by account deleted by request on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby GYBS » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:24 am

Yes i did mean re rule - while the ban was enforced english clubs and english players fell a long way behind and even after the ban was lifted it took a long time for english clubs to get back to the top of the tree at europe and that only happened once the top 4 clubs started getting in the best foriegn players into the mix . During the 70s and 80s most teams around the world only had players from their own country or neighbouring countries but that all changed .

Yes John is right mick you can be as sarcastic as you want but the various studies have shown all about the effect computers have had on kids in england - we are the third biggest gaming nation behind Japan and America - what are all the italian kids and spanish kids and south american kids doing instead - they are playing the actual sport itself . You can dismiss it as much as you want but the facts are out there and you can see it in the kids themselves and the decline of local football leagues .

And back to the production of youth - lets look at the 80s and lat 70s - how many people did we produce or how many people did we buy -

Dalglish
Keegan
Whelan
Hansen
Rush
Grobs
Lawro
Mc Dermott
plus many many more werent actually produced by liverpool - they were bought around ages of 20 -25 so didnt come throough any youth system

Then in the late 80s players like

Molby
Barnes
Beardsley
Aldridge
Johnston
Spackman

they also werent produced they were bought - some for a fair bit of money - how many titles and european cups did that lot win and none of them were locally produced

Then we got to the 90s -our barren spell - while we produced a number of outstanding players we didnt win a thing with them and only started winning trophies on a regular basis once GH arrived and bought foriegn players

Sami
Henchoz
Babbel
Hamann
Smicer
Heskey
plus many more .

So maybe our youth set up as always been poor ?!

We needed to change it - the communication between the Academy and The others didnt happen. Since 2000 we produced nothing so Rafa has decided to start with a clean slate - get rid of old coaches and bring in new established very experienced coaches who have worked with some of the best players in the world today . Also the communication between the Academy and Rafa will be there so Rafa can see whats happening and look at these kids more and see who is progressing and who is not . We have already bought two young kids of 15 - one spanish and one english . It took both Man Utd (First with english lads and now with foriegn lads) and Arsenal (all foriegn lads bar the 10 million pound teenagers ) around ten years plus to get the benefits from their youth system so maybe we need to be a bit more patient with our kids .

Spearing maybe our best Young British player but he has had a few run outs in the first team and i expect he will have a few more and then it will be up to him to prove himself good enough same with the other highly rated players in the youth

Ince
Ecclestone
Kelly
Darby
Nemeth
Pacheco
Valle
San Jose

They will get run outs in the near future either in CC or Pre season and its then up to them to show they are good enough for the first team .

You can keep going on about technical ability as well Mick but thats the base level for every footballer - you get them doin that to the highest standards and they show themselves to have ability of the highest level - both techincal and skillful and they got a damn good chance of makingit.
Last edited by GYBS on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Festy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:39 am

It would have been better if you had posted a link rather than just a cheap copy paste.  :no
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby GYBS » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:40 am

Who are you talking too ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Festy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:45 am

GYBS wrote:Who are you talking too ?

Obviously it's you.  :angry:
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby GYBS » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:47 am

Then you will have to explain your comment then as my post is not from anywhere nor is it a copy and paste , so unless you have something to add then please leave the digs out ok .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:51 am

Must say, it does have that cut and paste look about it though ???
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:54 am

Then i cant fu.cking win can i Mick - i get accused of "machine gun posting" then when i post something more than two lines that i took time to think about i get accused of stealing and copy and pasting - well whats it to be forum oracle ?!?! make your mind up cause im getting pretty damn sick of it now .

As you always say - read the post and tell me what other forum will have references towards a person called mick or john or technical ability and you will see that post sums up what i have been saying .

But go ahead and search the internet and forums and show me where it has been posted before .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:55 am

was just saying like :D
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion