Liverpool complete signing of 15-year-old spanish - Jesus joaquin fernandez

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:35 pm

john craig wrote:I think this is a decent point GYBS makes.

??? Feck me I missed it. Lets just read it back again, hmmmmmbudedubedum... yep, fair enough GYBS, good point.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:40 pm

players like roy keane hansen etc would make it cause there ability shone through at every level . Yes you may of heard the game has changed loads of times mick but thats cause its the truth . We in the last 19 years have had some outstanding local talent but how many titles did it win us ? None . How many times did we come really close ? Once maybe until this year when we went very close . Yes looking at british talent would be a step backwards , an expensive one as we wouldnt be fighting for the title we would be with the villas the bitters fighting it out for the euro league as they are the teams with the british talent in it . I will take the torres and the alonsos over the defoes and the barrys myself .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:43 pm

The thing is for years now the Academy has been seperated from what you would call the real goings on, Youve had the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing, Now with it all being under the one man so to speak an the final say is hes , hopefully we will see some results,

An theres a cracking job going by the way. i posted this about 2 weeks ago an its still vacant :laugh: im applying me being  a supporter  :laugh: if parry can do it then so can i

http://apply.odgers.com/27765/27765_Candidate_Brief.pdf
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:45 pm

john craig wrote: The 'scattergun' approach we're adopting will eventually unearth a wonderkid or two, I'm convinced of it.

I seriously doubt it John. As I tried to explain to GYBH, the very best young players know they are going to make it, its just a matter of time. So why should they leave the club they have been at since they were little to join a club abroad ?

The only players likely to move are the ones that are a little unsure of their progress at their present club, where the competition might be a little too hot for them. In other words not the very best players.

We had Gerrard and Fowler from a very young age, they were given the opportunity to move to other clubs but turned them down because they were happy at Liverpool. I just don't see top young foreign stars moving to another country leaving their family and friends behind for no reason.

Norwegian/Swedish/Danish etc etc fair enough, but top Spanish, German or Italians ....no.   

As we are severely disadvantaged when it comes to South American and African players I can't see our wonderkid coming from there either.
account deleted by request

Postby GYBS » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:52 pm

how come players like fabregas etc left barce and we could couple players who are as highly rated as he was at barce and barce didnt want those players to leave but they did ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:58 pm

Well ive got to let you in on it here as im typing this ive got a player looking over my shoulder who came up through the ranks of the West Ham Academy, hes laughing his head off here at me chatting on a footie forum :laugh: He not long ago made me a cup of coffee, knows his place like,  :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:04 am

GYBS wrote:how come players like fabregas etc left barce and we could couple players who are as highly rated as he was at barce and barce didnt want those players to leave but they did ?

There is the world of difference between not wanting a player to leave and making sure a player doesn't leave. Fabregas may be the exception to the rule, or maybe he wasn't THAT good or highly regarded by Barca ?

Who are the etc's?

Sensing that he would have limited opportunities at Barcelona, he joined Arsenal, signing for the London club in September 2003. Initially, he found life difficult in England's capital but soon struck a friendship with Spanish-speaking team-mate Philippe Senderos, who helped him settle down.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GYBS » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:12 am

oh he was extremly highly rated by barce mate , they didnt want him to leave but rules over in spain mean you cant offer a kid under 18 a contract . Same with san jose and pacheco for us , barce wanted them to stay but they decided to leave . Barce were furious they all left .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:01 am

Who are the etc's? What other players have come over here at 16 and become a star?

Postby bigmick » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:29 am

I think Anelka was pretty young S@int but I'm probably wrong. There's untold examples of course of young Irish players coming over and living in digs before making it. Young lads from Europe though haven't fared quite so well. I think there's a huge difference between say a Dutch lad going to France, or a Portuguese going to Barca, then there is either of those countries sending over kids to England, it's just so culturally different.

Also something which is barely considered is the fact that in England we play a brand of football which is quite different to everywhere else. It's much faster, much more physical, and retention of posession is much less important. There's full blown International players from overseas who can't make the transition, so quite how we expect 15 year olds to do it I don't know.

Anyways, hopefully they all start coming through before long and I can be proven wrong.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:18 am

Yes Anelka was young (17) Mick , but he had already played quite a few first team games. More like a young Owen than a youth player.

Also something which is barely considered is the fact that in England we play a brand of football which is quite different to everywhere else. It's much faster, much more physical, and retention of posession is much less important. There's full blown International players from overseas who can't make the transition, so quite how we expect 15 year olds to do it I don't know.

I think this bit is spot on mate.

Postby bigmick » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:50 am

I obviously didn't see the game, but this young kid Jack Rodwell is getting rave reviews for the under-21's. Tall, good in the air, strong and a holding midfielder who can score a goal. "Maturity beyond his years" said Stuart Pearce, Sounds a bit like Steven Gerrard was at 18 years old. Plays for Everton of course, and they've just signed him on a five year contract. Oh well.

Wonder what his "technical ability" is like though.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Parkinson » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:28 am

s@int wrote:Yes Anelka was young (17) Mick , but he had already played quite a few first team games. More like a young Owen than a youth player.

I think this bit is spot on mate.

I think that is a rather narrow minded way to look at this discussion (no offence). "Full blown" internationals for just one example have already developed and maturered into a footballing culture that they've been accustomed to. Hence the reason for 'failure' in the Prem. Adapting to the Premiership game at an older age will have its pros and cons for and against it.

Likewise with the youth players coming in from abroad that too will have its pros and cons. A con being, the young lad may not settle in new and foreign surroundings. The plus side is this young lad can develop into a "brand of football which is quite different from anywhere else". Namely this would be putting on a bit of muscle and increasing the stamina and fitness, nothing needed where Einstein is called in to help solve the unique mystery and individualism of English football.

For me it is much more logical to bring over a potentially gifted Spainard player at a young age to better enhance his game to the English style. But simply stating why we shouldn't bring in young foreign players at an early age because full blown internationals have flopped here and there is pretty much an incompatible theory to subscribe to.
Last edited by Parkinson on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parkinson

Postby DrPepe » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:34 am

Sounds a bit like Steven Gerrard was at 18 years old. Plays for Everton of course, and they've just signed him on a five year contract. Oh well.Wonder what his "technical ability" is like though.

If he's anywhere near as good as Gerard, his technical ability will be second to none ???
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:52 am

bigmick wrote:I obviously didn't see the game, but this young kid Jack Rodwell is getting rave reviews for the under-21's. Tall, good in the air, strong and a holding midfielder who can score a goal. "Maturity beyond his years" said Stuart Pearce, Sounds a bit like Steven Gerrard was at 18 years old. Plays for Everton of course, and they've just signed him on a five year contract. Oh well.

Wonder what his "technical ability" is like though.

I hope to hell these young players get their techincal ability honed and worked on as thats 80% make up off a top footballer - high class technical ability .

Players make it in the prem and players dont make it in the prem - makes no difference if they are english or foreign or if they are 15 or 28 , some make it at big clubs where some have to do with playing for smaller clubs as they cant make the next step up .

You can continue hoping for the next Rodwell or next Irish or Scottish sensation to burst through and be good enough for Villa etc but i will hope we find the next Kaka or Messi or Villa or Xavi or Torres or Gerrard .

I think we should look a lot more closely at South America as a lot of cheap talent that have gone on to be world class have come from there lately as well as the spanish .

Players like Kaka , Pato, Ronaldhin, Augero .

The best in the world is what we should be looking for no matter where they are .

The Evertons and Villas can keep their British Under 21 stars that dont make the next step up .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion