Liverpool close to lucas deal - Another midfielder?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby inglis5 » Fri May 11, 2007 6:48 pm

Sabre wrote:
inglis5 wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:So, it appears that while the supporters all dream of a team of Carraghers, Rafa dreams of a team of central midfielders. ???  This kid sounds like a prospect but if his arrival is down to the fact that one of our other CMs--and you know which one I'm most concerned with :D --is leaving, I will not be a happy chappy. :no

I posted this in the rumor thread when this was still a rumour but I think it's still relevant. I wouldn't worry too much about Alonso, I think Sissoko is on the way out....

Rafa has said before that he sees Alonso as an "attacking" central midfielder. The purchase of a new defensive CM would, in my opinion, put more pressure on Sissoko than Alonso.

The Alonso contract situation is worrying though. If he can indeed buy his own contract out at the end of the season then all these stories of swap deals involving Etoo would appear to be false.

I think Rafa wants Alonso to stay and Alonso wants to stay, this whole situation is just brinkmanship regarding the length and size of his new contract.

Personally a midfield made up of a combination of any of the four remaining players - Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso or Lucas - would be capable of doing a job. Whereas if you replace Alonso with Sissoko it looks too negative...

This whole summer is going to be very strange as we won't know exactly Rafa has in store until the end of August. In Rafa we (must) trust 
:)

Excuse me Inglis5, the bit about Rafa seeing Alonso as an attacking midfielder petrified me.  :oh:

When and where did he say that? I'd love to see the context!

LFC2007 dispelled the other day my doubts in another post about Alonso, when he wrote that Alonso said I want to win the premiership and he'll stay. WHen both sides of the story want to understand, the agreement is a matter of time.

We're going to lose probably Zenden, and if this is the replacement it seems we are in the good way to improve a squad, remove the weak link, include an (apparently) strong player.

I can't remember exactly when it was, I think it was at the time when Mascherano arrived. I remember thinking the same as you!

I'll have a look for the original quote but he said it in response to a question from a journalist asking if the arrival of Mascherano was a threat to Sissoko and Alonso. He said that Alonso was more of an attacking midfielder...

Leave it with me (I'm sure I didn't imagine it!!!)

inglis5

Postby Sabre » Fri May 11, 2007 6:51 pm

I probably agreed you the post as a whole, but I'm sure I missed that bit! Don't worry, I'll search for it.  :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gato_busta » Fri May 11, 2007 6:54 pm

beat you to it sabre!

from lfc.tv

"He had a good World Cup and is a good player. Some people might say 'Why do we need another midfielder when we have Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko and Zenden?' Well, the only holding midfielder is Xabi Alonso and Mascherano will be another option. If we are successful he will sign for at least a year and a half and he has the quality to play well in the Premiership."
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Postby zarababe » Fri May 11, 2007 6:55 pm

:D

I'm excited by this signing - am I the only one ??? I see it as the Boss putting in place the buidling blocks for continuing success and sustaining a realistic assualt on the championship
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby inglis5 » Fri May 11, 2007 6:56 pm

Sabre wrote:I probably agreed you the post as a whole, but I'm sure I missed that bit! Don't worry, I'll search for it.  :)

“We don’t have a lot of these types of player. Only Xabi can play in this holding role. Momo and Gerrard like to go forward a lot more, so it’s important for the balance to have someone like Mascherano.”

Benitez - March 07.

Bugger, got it the wrong way around. Looks like Xabi is on his way out.

But.... "Momo.... likes to go forward more"!  ???

Sorry
inglis5

Postby Sabre » Fri May 11, 2007 7:10 pm

No worries, I get wrong 92 sentences a day :D

But.... "Momo.... likes to go forward more"! 

Spanish diplomacy for "he can't be a holding midfielder" :)

P.S. I'll explain this "coach diplomacy" the best I can. If you say "Momo can't be a holding midfielder" then the sentence invites to a "why?" that you might not want to answer because then you have to tell the journo what the player lacks, and coaches (except Mou) avoid that.

Gerrard could play as a holding midfielder, but IMHO, it's not his natural position, he's an attacking midfielder. Gerrard does well almost every aspect of the game and is for me the best player of LFC, but he lacks a couple of things to be an Alonso kind of midfielder. Let's say that he tackles very well!! but doesn't choose perfectly WHEN to tackle to play in THAT position, that kind of decissions are fundamental for the rol Xabi plays.

Despite many think Gerrard and Alonso are not compatible in the middle, IMHO, they are. Both with different roles.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri May 11, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby inglis5 » Fri May 11, 2007 7:15 pm

Sabre wrote:No worries, I get wrong 92 sentences a day :D

But.... "Momo.... likes to go forward more"! 

Spanish diplomacy for "he can't be a holding midfielder" :)

It would probably help if we knew what position Lucas plays as there doesn't really seem to be any agreement if he is indeed a defensive or attacking midfielder.

As I said in my original post, we will probably spend all summer second guessing the gaffer but we must just trust his judgement... all will (hopefully) become clear when the transfer window shuts.
inglis5

Postby Reg » Fri May 11, 2007 7:22 pm

My Brazilian colleagues confirm he won the Golden Boot (by position and overall) specifically as an attacking midfield player.  There is no doubt.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby inglis5 » Fri May 11, 2007 7:27 pm

Reg wrote:My Brazilian colleagues confirm he won the Golden Boot (by position and overall) specifically as an attacking midfield player.  There is no doubt.

Bad news for Momo then as he likes to get forward as well  :D
inglis5

Postby Sabre » Fri May 11, 2007 7:33 pm

This new player might be interesting not only as an attacking midfielder, but for when we want to play a RM rather than a RW like Pennant (different roles aswell). FFS, I want to see him in red shirt now!
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri May 11, 2007 8:44 pm

Paul K wrote:Christians – Pray for Liverpool for the Champion Final!!

I found a great website were you can light a candle from the Holy land for who ever you want and watch the ceremony LIVE in Video!
I asked lighting a candle for Liverpool and I saw LIVE the Priest from Nazareth saying a pray for the success of our team.

I believe that if many fans will do the same God will help us.

Please go and do it for Liverpool!
The website address is   www.mirezo.com

God bless

Paul
www.mirezo.com

Surely one of the maddest posts seen lately
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri May 11, 2007 8:56 pm

Seems strange we continue to buy foreign players when with the new ruling coming we need more englishmen rather than more brazos, argies, spanish etc..
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri May 11, 2007 8:58 pm

It's the funniest attempt on SPAMMING a forum I've seen this week :D basically it's a website to buy prayers, if that's possible at all. :)

I believe that if many fans will do the same God will help us.

And your bank account would have lots of money aswell, that's a bless.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri May 11, 2007 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Fri May 11, 2007 9:09 pm

Another foreign youngster snapped up by Rafa, the youth team lads must be made up ! Its all well and good snapping up the best youngsters but what about the local lads, the future Robbies, Gerrards, Carras ?

Wenger has a great team of youngsters coming through at Arsenal and in 2 or 3 years time they will be some team, but that doesnt mean we have to go down the same path.

I understand he is building for the future and im sure they are decent enough players, a couple of rough diamonds, but he seems to be filling every position with a young foreign player, it all becomes a bit clearer now why Heighway decided to call it a day ( did he jump before he was pushed ? )

This is not a scathing attack on Rafa, it just makes me wonder where the future of our youth team players lie, loaned out to other clubs but for what ? if they havent made an impression now when will they

Since my son was born i have had dreams of him playing for LFC but just lately it seems like we may have to move to another country for that to ever happen
destro

Postby Sabre » Fri May 11, 2007 9:19 pm

Destro

Another foreign youngster snapped up by Rafa, the youth team lads must be made up ! Its all well and good snapping up the best youngsters but what about the local lads, the future Robbies, Gerrards, Carras ?

Wenger has a great team of youngsters coming through at Arsenal and in 2 or 3 years time they will be some team, but that doesnt mean we have to go down the same path.

I understand he is building for the future and im sure they are decent enough players, a couple of rough diamonds, but he seems to be filling every position with a young foreign player, it all becomes a bit clearer now why Heighway decided to call it a day ( did he jump before he was pushed ? )

This is not a scathing attack on Rafa, it just makes me wonder where the future of our youth team players lie, loaned out to other clubs but for what ? if they havent made an impression now when will they

Since my son was born i have had dreams of him playing for LFC but just lately it seems like we may have to move to another country for that to ever happen

It's a global phenomenom. Nantes, France, the best youth system of France during decades, they just were relegated las week after 47 years. It's very complicated to make a youth  system based team in the strong leagues, hence, our academy also will produce less first team players. The quality and depth of a CL challenging team in this 2007 year, makes it much more difficult to promote a player than in the past.

Bosman-ish laws do not make Havoc in 2-3 years, it's devastating effects come one or two decades later. It's going to be more and more complicated for local youngsters reaching the first team, because the best player of around the world are emigrating to the strong leagues. No matter who you bring for the academy, IMHO, he'll buy the best of Europe and it will be a success if one player makes it in 4 years. If the player is named Gerrard or Bojan, then the investment is good.

Money will rule future's football, that's why teams like Villareal pop up, or clubs without history can win the premiership.  :down:

Fortunately enough LFC has known to adapt to this new times and are well prepared for this new future aswell.  :)
Last edited by Sabre on Fri May 11, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion