"Liverpool better than Everton" - Proclaims Benitez

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:02 am

Rafa is basically telling what this entire planet knows.....we beat the blue sh1ts hands down in class & quality of the team.

And yes, you can exprct a storm at neverton because of this. The only thing i can say...the truth hurts :p

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtal....00.html

Rafa stokes Mersey fires

Rafael Benitez claims Liverpool are a better team than Everton and insists they can catch their Mersey rivals in the race for Champions League qualification.

Everton are fourth, seven points ahead of Liverpool who can close the gap to four points if they beat Fulham at Anfield on Saturday.

With Everton not playing until Sunday at Southampton, a Liverpool victory will put pressure on David Moyes' men.

The battle is set to reach boiling point during the final 13 games of the season, with the 20 March Mersey derby at Anfield a match that could be worth £20m in European cash.

Benitez said: "Sure, I think we are better than Everton. In my opinion we have a better team and better players.

"But they are having a very good season and they are working very hard and winning lots of games because they have a great team spirit. But I still think we are a better team."

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard has also supported his manager's view, claiming this week: "We can reel them back in. We're a better side than Everton in my opinion. If we put a run together and beat them at Anfield I am sure we can finish above them.

"We are fighting for fourth spot and every league fixture between now and the end of the season is going to be a must-win game. We can't afford to lose any more ground on Everton if we want to finish above them."

Benitez, who will have Dietmar Hamann and Antonio Nunez returning from suspension against Fulham, will for the second time in a week be playing a day earlier than Everton.

The manager added: "We try to only think about the next game and try not to worry about other teams. People keep asking me whether I am watching the other games or the fixtures of opponents.

"I say, no. The most important thing is to work with your own team to improve your level and confidence.

"If you can reduce the gap now, great. But if it means we are still trying to close the gap in the last month, we will keep trying. We will fight right to the end to achieve what we want.

"I have not seen Everton's midweek game. I saw the result and said 'OK, they've won, nothing more.' It is then for me to concentrate on our next game."

He added: "If we win before Everton play, then it is an advantage, if not then it becomes a problem. But it is not important for us to worry about when they play or what they do. If we can win our games then we can reduce the gap.

"It is not only important to win but it matters how you win. Against Watford and Charlton we have produced very good performances, and that means we can say to the players 'look, you can see how you have played, now do it again.'

"We sat down and discussed all the things we were doing badly, so when we went to Watford for the Carling Cup and then Charlton, we were confident. We changed the role of some players, and we have recovered our confidence and shown the right mentality.

"We stopped our opponents getting into our box and shooting. That is what has pleased me more than anything.

"I do not like to talk too much about the injuries, but with eight players needing operations it is obviously more difficult for us. I just think that next season things will be different."

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s386/st66567.htm?fromrss=1

BENITEZ: WE'RE BETTER THAN EVERTON

inside AnfieldBy J Wade - February 4 2005

Rafael Benitez today insisted Liverpool will win the race for the final Champions League place and declared: "We're better than Everton."

The Reds remain seven points behind Everton following their fortunate victory over Norwich in midweek, but Benitez is remaining steadfast in the belief that his team will eventually overtake the Toffees.

And such is his confidence in his players, he hasn't even looked at the remaining fixtures for the other teams competing for that coveted fourth place.

"Sure, I think we are better than Everton. In my opinion we have a better team and better players," he said.

"But they are having a very good season and they are working very hard and winning lots of games because they have a great team spirit. But I still think we are a better team.

"People ask me if I've studied the schedules of other teams, but I haven't. I'm only intersted in my team and what we have to do.

"I didn't see the Everton game in midweek and haven't watched it since. I saw the score at the end of the game and that was it. I said to myself 'okay, it's seven points again'. What they or any other team does isn't of interest to me really.

"We know what we need to do and that is to reduce the gap. Even if we come to the final month of the season and there is a gap to close then we will fight to do it. I can promise you we will fight to the end.

"Everton have won a lot of games 1-0 this season but I am sure they will lose more games before the end. When they do we have to take advantage. That's what I mean about it being up to us. If we play well and win games then I am confident we will get fourth place. I've never changed my opinion on that."

Benitez backing Reds
by Paul Higham -  created on 4 Feb 2005
VICTORIES OVER LIVERPOOL

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.as....ll_Home

Rafa Benitez is still confident Liverpool can beat Everton to fourth place in The Premiership, insisting that his side are better than their Merseyside rivals.
Benitez has had a mixed first season in charge at Anfield so far, with his side showing some signs of promise but struggling for consistent form.
The Spaniard has had some major injury problems to contend with, but still believes his men can qualify for next season's UEFA Champions League by pipping Everton to fourth place in the table.
David Moyes' side have been the surprise package of the season and hold a seven-point advantage over their fierce rivals, but Benitez still thinks The Reds can do it.
"Sure, I think we are better than Everton," said Benitez. "In my opinion we have a better team and better players.
"But they are having a very good season and they are working very hard and winning lots of games because they have a great team spirit. But I still think we are a better team.
"People ask me if I've studied the schedules of other teams, but I haven't. I'm only interested in my team and what we have to do.
"We know what we need to do and that is to reduce the gap. Even if we come to the final month of the season and there is a gap to close then we will fight to do it. I can promise you we will fight to the end.
"Everton have won a lot of games 1-0 this season but I am sure they will lose more games before the end. When they do we have to take advantage.
"That's what I mean about it being up to us. If we play well and win games then I am confident we will get fourth place. I've never changed my opinion on that."
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:45 am

:blues: Thats Moyes team talk for the derby sorted
rafa shouldnt have said that, they will have more of a point to prove now :angry:
Last edited by Ciggy on Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:58 am

im glad rafa said that. for too long hes been way too nice. he is a top bloke, but ncie to show hes got smoe cahoonas as well. good on him. come on you reds!!!!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:05 am

And besides by the time it gets to the derby we will be so far ahead of them it wont matter  :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:11 am

laza wrote:And besides by the time it gets to the derby we will be so far ahead of them it wont matter  :D

Heres hoping :)
Did yous know that David Moyes gave all his players  a framed photograph of when they all pilled on top of one another when they beat us.
And there is a really big photo of it in there changing rooms, how sad :laugh:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:33 am

:D :laugh:
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:49 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote: :blues: Thats Moyes team talk for the derby sorted
rafa shouldnt have said that, they will have more of a point to prove now :angry:

Don't worry Lyndsey....... we will deffo beat the blue sh1ts, if our players play to our full potential.

Like rafa said, the blue sh1ts are not even in the same class as us.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:32 pm

I sort of agree with Lynds on this one. Sometimes you can be a bit too honest in football and its better to keep your own council. Draw Watford in the League Cup semi and no doubt you think, "thats handy, turn up and we win ha-ha-ha-ha" but you don't say it. Maybe that was the idea against Burnley and someone let it slip out.
All that said, we are obviously a better team than Everton. If they qualify it will be horrible. It wouldn't even be remotely funny when they got hammmered in every game.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 82-1074641017 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:08 pm

The_Rock wrote:Rafa is basically telling what this entire planet knows.....we beat the blue sh1ts hands down in class & quality of the team.

And yes, you can exprct a storm at neverton because of this. The only thing i can say...the truth hurts :p

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtal....00.html

Rafa stokes Mersey fires

Rafael Benitez claims Liverpool are a better team than Everton and insists they can catch their Mersey rivals in the race for Champions League qualification.

Everton are fourth, seven points ahead of Liverpool who can close the gap to four points if they beat Fulham at Anfield on Saturday.

With Everton not playing until Sunday at Southampton, a Liverpool victory will put pressure on David Moyes' men.

The battle is set to reach boiling point during the final 13 games of the season, with the 20 March Mersey derby at Anfield a match that could be worth £20m in European cash.

Benitez said: "Sure, I think we are better than Everton. In my opinion we have a better team and better players.

"But they are having a very good season and they are working very hard and winning lots of games because they have a great team spirit. But I still think we are a better team."

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard has also supported his manager's view, claiming this week: "We can reel them back in. We're a better side than Everton in my opinion. If we put a run together and beat them at Anfield I am sure we can finish above them.

"We are fighting for fourth spot and every league fixture between now and the end of the season is going to be a must-win game. We can't afford to lose any more ground on Everton if we want to finish above them."

Benitez, who will have Dietmar Hamann and Antonio Nunez returning from suspension against Fulham, will for the second time in a week be playing a day earlier than Everton.

The manager added: "We try to only think about the next game and try not to worry about other teams. People keep asking me whether I am watching the other games or the fixtures of opponents.

"I say, no. The most important thing is to work with your own team to improve your level and confidence.

"If you can reduce the gap now, great. But if it means we are still trying to close the gap in the last month, we will keep trying. We will fight right to the end to achieve what we want.

"I have not seen Everton's midweek game. I saw the result and said 'OK, they've won, nothing more.' It is then for me to concentrate on our next game."

He added: "If we win before Everton play, then it is an advantage, if not then it becomes a problem. But it is not important for us to worry about when they play or what they do. If we can win our games then we can reduce the gap.

"It is not only important to win but it matters how you win. Against Watford and Charlton we have produced very good performances, and that means we can say to the players 'look, you can see how you have played, now do it again.'

"We sat down and discussed all the things we were doing badly, so when we went to Watford for the Carling Cup and then Charlton, we were confident. We changed the role of some players, and we have recovered our confidence and shown the right mentality.

"We stopped our opponents getting into our box and shooting. That is what has pleased me more than anything.

"I do not like to talk too much about the injuries, but with eight players needing operations it is obviously more difficult for us. I just think that next season things will be different."

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s386/st66567.htm?fromrss=1

BENITEZ: WE'RE BETTER THAN EVERTON

inside AnfieldBy J Wade - February 4 2005

Rafael Benitez today insisted Liverpool will win the race for the final Champions League place and declared: "We're better than Everton."

The Reds remain seven points behind Everton following their fortunate victory over Norwich in midweek, but Benitez is remaining steadfast in the belief that his team will eventually overtake the Toffees.

And such is his confidence in his players, he hasn't even looked at the remaining fixtures for the other teams competing for that coveted fourth place.

"Sure, I think we are better than Everton. In my opinion we have a better team and better players," he said.

"People ask me if I've studied the schedules of other teams, but I haven't. I'm only intersted in my team and what we have to do.

"I didn't see the Everton game in midweek and haven't watched it since. I saw the score at the end of the game and that was it. I said to myself 'okay, it's seven points again'. What they or any other team does isn't of interest to me really.

"Everton have won a lot of games 1-0 this season but I am sure they will lose more games before the end. When they do we have to take advantage. That's what I mean about it being up to us. If we play well and win games then I am confident we will get fourth place. I've never changed my opinion on that."

Benitez backing Reds
by Paul Higham -  created on 4 Feb 2005
VICTORIES OVER LIVERPOOL

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.as....ll_Home

Rafa Benitez is still confident Liverpool can beat Everton to fourth place in The Premiership, insisting that his side are better than their Merseyside rivals.
Benitez has had a mixed first season in charge at Anfield so far, with his side showing some signs of promise but struggling for consistent form.
The Spaniard has had some major injury problems to contend with, but still believes his men can qualify for next season's UEFA Champions League by pipping Everton to fourth place in the table.
David Moyes' side have been the surprise package of the season and hold a seven-point advantage over their fierce rivals, but Benitez still thinks The Reds can do it.
"Sure, I think we are better than Everton," said Benitez. "In my opinion we have a better team and better players.
"People ask me if I've studied the schedules of other teams, but I haven't. I'm only interested in my team and what we have to do.
"Everton have won a lot of games 1-0 this season but I am sure they will lose more games before the end. When they do we have to take advantage.
"That's what I mean about it being up to us. If we play well and win games then I am confident we will get fourth place. I've never changed my opinion on that."

Well he has a point there, Everton are the worst ever side Ive seen in the top four of the Premiership this season.
They play boring, never thrash a team, there is only ever a goal in it when they win a game and they have been lucky scoring in the dying seconds of a lot of games this season.
The other night I was watching the Everton v Norwich game with two Evertonian mates, I went the toilet for a peewee come back and asked them what the score was at Half Time and my mate said,'0-0 to Everton' :D
Says it all :D
82-1074641017

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:13 pm

"0-0 to Everton"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:15 pm

i am not being bias here. But if the blue sh1t qualify for champions league, it will be bad for the english league. They won't even get to the group stages, They will lose to some eastern european team (as they don't have european experience for a long time).
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:20 pm

You should have heard the sh#te I heard today :kungfu:
The blue noses went mad today that they didnt have a game till sunday they said saturday is a footie day, but suppose we  will have to get used to it being in europe next season we will be playing more on a sunday. best thing ive heard all year   :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  f@ckin classic :D
Last edited by Ciggy on Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:23 pm

Take it from me Lynds, no matter what happens, they won't get it to the GROUP STAGES OF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE...... no matter what. :)
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:37 pm

The_Rock wrote:Take it from me Lynds, no matter what happens, they won't get it to the GROUP STAGES OF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE...... no matter what. :)

Rock I do know that im not stupid you know :D

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:38 pm

i luv u already  :love:  :D
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion