Liverpool 2 - 0 juventus - What a goal by luis garcia

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Xabi » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:12 pm

Santa wrote:I think no team has put 2 goals past Juve n the CL all season and we did that today.

From the start of the group stage forward, Juv has only let up 2 goals.
Great work getting forward on their strong defence.
Xabi

Postby fivecups » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:13 pm

NYCJuveFan wrote:Managed somwhow to watch the game....
Excellent first 30 minutes by LFC, shameful by Juve.

The Juve started playing, hit the post, scored a regular goal with Del Piero, scored another one and looked good even though ran out of gas the last 15 minutes.

LFC shouldn't feel comfortable with a 2-1 home win but neither should we. We still have to win and possibly avoid to concede any goal.

Great match though.

Agreed mate. It's well set up for the second leg.

It will be a hard one to call but we can definitely go through. I don't think we can come out with 10 men in defence next week. If we come at them the way we did in the first half and nick an away goal we should go through. Juventus couldn't live we our passion and effort at the outset - we were all over them.

I'll take 2-1 anyday.
Last edited by fivecups on Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:15 pm

It will be a hard one to call but we can definitely go through. I don't think we can come out with 10 men in defence next week. If we come at them the way we did in the first half and nick an away goal we should go through. Juventus could live we our passion and effort at the outset - we were all over them.

I'll take 2-1 anyday.

agree, we need to go at them and get a goal...remember folks, we are winning!! :cool:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:16 pm

We have just also seen old Thuram and new Thuram playing together :;): :D
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:16 pm

Xabi wrote:
Santa wrote:I think no team has put 2 goals past Juve n the CL all season and we did that today.

From the start of the group stage forward, Juv has only let up 2 goals.
Great work getting forward on their strong defence.

yeah tight-@ss defence no doubt feeling the sore tonight. Don't blame them tho...their defence was superbly marshalled by Thuram, got Baros in his pocket all night!
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:19 pm

anfieldadorer wrote:We have just also seen old Thuram and new Thuram playing together :;): :D

...for different colour, and one plays on the right, the other on the left
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:20 pm

I thought Thuram was poor in the first 30 minutes, Cannavaro is by far the better centre half.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NYCJuveFan » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:20 pm

fivecups wrote:

The Juve started playing, hit the post, scored a regular goal with Del Piero, scored another one and looked good even though ran out of gas the last 15 minutes.

LFC shouldn't feel comfortable with a 2-1 home win but neither should we. We still have to win and possibly avoid to concede any goal.

Great match though.

It will be a hard one to call but we can definitely go through. I don't think we can come out with 10 men in defence next week. If we come at them the way we did in the first half and nick an away goal we should go through. Juventus couldn't live we our passion and effort at the outset - we were all over them.

I'll take 2-1 anyday.

I agree.

But hopefully we won't start the match half an hour later like we did today.
And, hopefully I won't jinx it, we never allowed a goal at home this year in the CL. And our 3 of our 4 games at home were against Ajax, Bayern and Real Madrid.

Maybe we deserved to tie tonight's match, but when we were 0-2 I was really afraid to allow the 0-3. Then it would have been really hard.
NYCJuveFan

Postby fivecups » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:20 pm

anfieldadorer wrote:We have just also seen old Thuram and new Thuram playing together :;): :D

Do you mean Djimi Thuram  :D  :D  :D

Thought Liliam Thuram looked like class for most of the night, you can see why they've conceeded so few goals.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:23 pm

NYCJuveFan wrote:
fivecups wrote:

Great match though.

I'll take 2-1 anyday.

I agree.

But hopefully we won't start the match half an hour later like we did today.
And, hopefully I won't jinx it, we never allowed a goal at home this year in the CL. And our 3 of our 4 games at home were against Ajax, Bayern and Real Madrid.

Maybe we deserved to tie tonight's match, but when we were 0-2 I was really afraid to allow the 0-3. Then it would have been really hard.

I was glad you seemed to settle for 2-1, it looked for a while like you had a chance of the draw.

The referee also missed an obvious penalty when Djimi Thuram shoulder charged your player (Del Piero?) off the ball in the box. More blatant than Makelele on Gerrard I thought, but let's not talk about that.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:24 pm

I was glad you seemed to settle for 2-1, it looked for a while like you had a chance of the draw.

The referee also missed an obvious penalty when Djimi Thuram shoulder charged your player (Del Piero?) off the ball in the box. More blatant than Makelele on Gerrard I thought, but let's not talk about that.

and that 'offside' goal:oh:

we are experts at away legs people...just ask Bayen leverkusen and ROMA!  bring it on...semi finals, HERE WE COME! :)  :D
Last edited by 7_Kewell on Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:25 pm

Juventus were a mess in the first 30 minutes. Thuram and Cannavarro go years back given their Parma days, but you could have driven a milkfloat between them early in the game.

I think the major problem was that Emerson picked up an early injury and Juve's original gameplan obviously featured him dropping very deep ala Hamman, but he was struggling a gaps appeared in the spaces he was earmarked to watch.

You have to credit our team, however. Baros and Le Tallec in particular did a lot of hard leg work in the opening period and I think this unruffled Juventus.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:26 pm

fivecups wrote:

Do you mean Djimi Thuram  :D  :D  :D

Thought Liliam Thuram looked like class for most of the night, you can see why they've conceeded so few goals.

i think thuram, oops, i mean djimi played pretty decently in this match
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NYCJuveFan » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:31 pm

7_Kewell wrote:

and that 'offside' goal:oh:

we are experts at away legs people...just ask Bayen leverkusen and ROMA!  bring it on...semi finals, HERE WE COME! :)  :D

Sorry mate.

It wasn't offside, but it was difficult to tell for the linesman.

I'm not convinced about the penalty. I would have loved it but I would be quite angry if a similar one would be given against us in any match.

I give LFC lots of credit, but we are no Roma or Leverkusen....
NYCJuveFan

Postby JBG » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:33 pm

Troare had a very competent game.

Who would have thought that Troare would have held his own against one of the best teams in the world?

He certainly an immensely improved player this year and I would now say he's a decent Premiership player but there's not one Liverpool fan out there who'd trust Traore to save their life. He's a bit like an out field Bruce Grobellaar. :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion