LIVERPOOL (1) v (0) REAL MADRID- 2nd leg - Back to the champions league

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:15 pm

heimdall wrote:hmmm, is this your post Ciggy? you suddenly became a hell of a lot more eloquent if it is, "paucity" :wwww  :D

No its from a newspaper great innit  :)
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:17 pm

In football to a large extent you make your own luck. Maybe a couple of the goals on another day and against another team might not have been given, but I honestly believe with the performance we gave last night we were unlucky not to get at least a couple more goals anyway. Torres had at least 2 fantastic efforts wonderfully saved by Casillas,the flick turn and shot that Casillas saved with his foot, the shot Torres curled into the far corner that Casillas saved. So it doesn't worry me or detract anything from our performance that a couple of goals were "lucky", because we were equally "unlucky" not to have a few more.

Lets not fool ourselves here into thinking luck at had anything to do with the way we played last night. We were magnificent. Thats probably as well as I have seen Liverpool play under Rafa. I have been disillusioned  for a while now about the way we play, last night showed me and everyone else what we really can do.

For those that say its because Madrid didn't come and park the bus which allowed us to play in that way, I would argue that Wigan and Hull didn't park the bus at Anfield for the first 45mins and until they were infront, yet we saw nothing like the display we put on yesterday.

Yesterdays performance was special ,good football, and committed players playing without fear. Maybe we cant expect that sort of performance week in week out, but the only time we ever seem to come close is after we go a goal down and are chasing a game. 

People say maybe its because the crowd don't get behind the team the same in the league. Play football like we did last night and I don't think you would have a problem with the crowd getting behind the team!
account deleted by request

Postby andy_g » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:20 pm

heimdall wrote:I agree, the only negative and it is a very minor quibble, is with Babel, his attitude is very disappointing and you could hear that from the crowd as well, he seems paranoid about getting really stuck in, if he could add some more oomph to his game, as brilliantly demonstrated by the rest of the team yesterday, then he'd be a good player but until then I'm afraid it's a  :no

yer wha??!!

i'd be among the first to say that babel, this season, has been hugely disappointing. but last night for large parts of the game he was electric (or in other words, displayed his fair share of oomph) and ramos just couldn't handle him. how many times did you see him get behind the real defence and look to play balls into the box?

top stuff. i hope he can produce that kind of performance more often.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:21 pm

Ciggy wrote:
heimdall wrote:hmmm, is this your post Ciggy? you suddenly became a hell of a lot more eloquent if it is, "paucity" :wwww  :D

No its from a newspaper great innit  :)

Not as great as Carlsberg  :wwww  :p
heimdall

Postby heimdall » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:22 pm

andy_g wrote:
heimdall wrote:I agree, the only negative and it is a very minor quibble, is with Babel, his attitude is very disappointing and you could hear that from the crowd as well, he seems paranoid about getting really stuck in, if he could add some more oomph to his game, as brilliantly demonstrated by the rest of the team yesterday, then he'd be a good player but until then I'm afraid it's a  :no

yer wha??!!

i'd be among the first to say that babel, this season, has been hugely disappointing. but last night for large parts of the game he was electric (or in other words, displayed his fair share of oomph) and ramos just couldn't handle him. how many times did you see him get behind the real defence and look to play balls into the box?

Sorry but I have to disagree with you on this, he was shying away from challenges as per usual, he made a few nice runs but then he does that quite often anyway. I want to see more effort from the lad and then he'll turn into a proper Liverpool player in my eyes.
heimdall

Postby tubby » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:25 pm

I thought that Spearing done ok. Hes a bit of the short side mind you but didn't put in a foot wrong when he came on. Hoping to see more of him soon.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:25 pm

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I was laughing my head off last night at Masch's celebrations  Just started laughing again now, brilliant !  :D

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:31 pm

heimdall wrote:
andy_g wrote:

yer wha??!!

Sorry but I have to disagree with you on this, he was shying away from challenges as per usual, he made a few nice runs but then he does that quite often anyway. I want to see more effort from the lad and then he'll turn into a proper Liverpool player in my eyes.

He did pull out of a few challenges last night. Once in the penalty area and once when he went for a fifty-fifty ball that with his pace he should have reached first, but he somehow managed to arrive late by shortening his stride.

He played well though, if he could play like that every week I would have no problems about him pulling out occasionally, Mcmanaman was never the "bravest of the brave", but his performances week in week out meant we could overlook this.

Postby taff » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I thought Babel was great last night and was even more up for it when he became the striker.  Fair enough the criticism he has received this season but last night he was very good.  All in all a great game, Sg and Torres on fire, the defence just being themselves and Mash was a terrier
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:39 pm

Thought babel did pretty well last night - he actually looked hungry for the ball and was positive when he did get the ball and used all his best abilities - more of the same consistently would be good .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:41 pm

Did you see Skrtel doing stepovers before getting battered :laugh:
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:49 pm

Real Madrid sports chief facing the axe -  MADRID, SPAIN Mar 11 2009 12:23 

Real Madrid sports chief Pedja Mijatovic is close to being fired following the Spanish giants' humiliating 4-0 Champions League defeat in Liverpool on Tuesday, sports daily Marca reported on Wednesday.

After the "painful loss to Liverpool", the departure of the top club official before Real's next general assembly at the end of March is more likely and could be announced very soon, the newspaper added.

The only sticking point is the fact that Mijatovic, who took up the post in 2006 and is under contract until 2010, would qualify for a compensation payment of $1,3-million if he is fired, it said.

But the interim president of the defending Spanish champions, Vicente Boluda, "is looking for a formula which will allow the dismissal to be cheaper", the newspaper said.

Mijatovic, a former Real striker who was one of Yugoslavia's best players of the 1990s, has been criticised for failing to recruit top talent.

Liverpool, which already had a 1-0 win over nine-time European champions Real from the away leg, reached the last eight with a 5-0 aggregate victory.

Spanish media on Wednesday dubbed Real's loss to Liverpool, its heaviest defeat since the competition became known as the Champions League in 1993, as a "humiliation" and said the club was "leaking water everywhere". -- Sapa-AFP
++

Changing your management team so frequently achieves nothing hence my great reluctence to write off Rafa.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:55 pm

Amazing atmosphere and a fantastic win! That's all I got to say really :D
JamCar05

Postby mkingdom » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Incredible performance!

No team in the world could have lived with us in the first 60 minutes.  Total football.

Christ, Torres really hates Real doesn't he  :oops:

Can we get him to hate Stoke and Wigan just the same?

No negatives last night at all.  We looked like world beaters, and it was our best available 11.  Riera vs Babel is a toss of a coin after last night for Saturday, but surely we'll go with the same 11??  Won't we???   :lookaround
mkingdom

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:01 pm

taff wrote:Did you see Skrtel doing stepovers before getting battered :laugh:

that was hilarious  :D

http://www.mediafire.com/?hjoofogymtm
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion