LIVERPOOL (1) v (0) REAL MADRID- 2nd leg - Back to the champions league

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:56 am

It's nights like last night which just reaffirm why we all love football.

I thought we were superb. I don't care how poor Real were. I haven't seen us pass the ball which such conviction for a long long time. And even without the ball we worked our socks off to get it back and forced them onto the back foot.

It was a delight to see us go for it from the off aswell. Why don't we approach Premiership games in the same manner. I was on here yesterday saying that I hoped we didn't sit on what we had and be cautious. I said I wanted a Juventus 2005 type display and we weren't far off. But for Casillas it would have been over inside the first ten minutes. He was the only player of theirs to come out with any credit.

Great to see the old Torres back aswell. That was the Torres that we all had the pleasure of watching last season. He was immense.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mistyred » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:57 am

Owzat be happy mate :D

I cant stop fecking smiling i am so made up.

A mate of mine a spurs supporter came to my house this morning
before work and was purring at our teams mauling of Madrid, do you know how that feels?.

We have a great chance to make it number 6 we have no fear in europe.

Great job, just fecking great.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:59 am

In fairness, I think it's possible to both give credit to our performance (we were fantastic) and to also talk about how the goals came about. I don't personally think one dimishes the other. Forinstance it obviously wasn't a penalty, but even the most hardened Madrid fan surely wouldn't pretend it made any difference. The Mirangues (why are they called after a dessert made from whipped eggs and sugar ??? ) were on the wrong end of a good hiding, and it could have been a lot worse.

Gerrard said it was our best performance of the season, and I'd agree with him. The only one which came close was Chelsea Away, but whereas we did the "grab" part very efficiently there with a disciplined performance, here we had plenty of "smash" as well. For that fact, and despite the rider that Chelsea even this season are obviously a stronger team than Madrid, I'd agree with the captain. I thought it was a fantastic performance, and the manager deserves lots of credit too.

I'm actually a little surprised people are talking of the "usual suspects" not giveng the team credit. Every single post I've seen has been bigging up the team, and so it should. People getting a little over sensitve again perhaps.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:10 pm

I have been critical of Rafa of late, and i can come on today and give him and the team all the praise they deserve.

It was simply fantastic, the best performance of the season, the tempo we played at just amazed me and left madrid in a spin, they had no answer and but for Casillas it would have been about 6.

That is the most proud i have been of the players and the manager in a long long time.

Anyone who finds negatives after that should really try and let themselves go a bit, thats what football is about.

We were massively entertained last night and over two legs against one of the biggest names in world football we produced flawless football.

Tactical masterstrokes again in europe from Rafa, credit where it is due, he is well and truly the man in europe.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:23 pm

Pulverised. There is no other word for it. Fittingly, for a team nicknamed The Meringues (Los Merengues), Real Madrid were splattered and dispersed over a wide area of Anfield in the manner of an airy fairy dessert. 

One that has been run over by a steamroller. Then another one. Then a herd of rampaging elephants. Driving more steamrollers.

The difficulty here is to explain the paucity of Madrid’s resistance while doing justice to Liverpool’s performance.

They were magnificent, arguably as great as they have been in Europe under manager Rafael Benitez, and that is saying something.

Better than the second half in Istanbul? Most definitely. In the end it probably did not matter that Madrid were bad because, even had they been good, they would not have lived with Liverpool in this form.

There was no contest here, no brave fightback, because Liverpool did not allow it. They went at Madrid from the first whistle with the verve and ambition of a team chasing a game, not defending a first-leg advantage.

The four-goal scoreline flatters Madrid, not Liverpool, and at least the Anfield regulars now know why a goalkeeper they prize so highly, Jose Reina, cannot force his way into Spain’s team. Iker Casillas, the Madrid goalkeeper, was outstanding. Without him, this could have been the most amazing result in the history of European competition.

Instead, when Andrea Dossena added the fourth from Javier Mascherano’s cross after 88 minutes, it merely became one of them. Here were two clubs with legendary status in Europe, but only one that justified the reputation. Real Madrid waved a white flag of surrender so early that Benitez’s glorious triumph was almost an anti-climax.

In the Bernabeu he had to work for victory, leaving it late, against the odds; at Anfield, Liverpool were playing exhibition football long before Frank De Bleeckere, the referee, put a stop to proceedings.

Madrid were a force in nothing but name and Benitez may have yearned for more of a challenge. He could not have hoped for a better performance, though. He joked on the eve of the game that he might even smile if his team went 5-0 up, and they went damn close to making him happy.

As ever, the Champions League brought the very best out of his players, and his stars, Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard, were outstanding.

It was Torres who set the tone, though, the way he took the game to Madrid being the catalyst for a high-tempo performance that must surely be the benchmark for any team with ambitions to lift the Champions League trophy this season; or, in one case, retain it.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:36 pm

Ciggy wrote:Pulverised. There is no other word for it. Fittingly, for a team nicknamed The Meringues (Los Merengues), Real Madrid were splattered and dispersed over a wide area of Anfield in the manner of an airy fairy dessert. 

It was flantastic :laugh:
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby GRAHAM01 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:00 pm

Lee J wrote:I'm well made up this morning , in fact, I'll buy everyone a beer. I'll be in the Albert before the game on the 22nd vs Villa, come and let me know who you are and I'll buy you a beer. I'll be the one in the red liverpool top  :laugh:

i will try and get in there mate i will sing fernando torres liverpools number nine so you know it's me  :D
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:02 pm

GRAHAM01 wrote:
Lee J wrote:I'm well made up this morning , in fact, I'll buy everyone a beer. I'll be in the Albert before the game on the 22nd vs Villa, come and let me know who you are and I'll buy you a beer. I'll be the one in the red liverpool top  :laugh:

i will try and get in there mate i will sing fernando torres liverpools number nine so you know it's me  :D

ok mate, well just in case i dont spot ya I'll be the one on the kop at 5 minutes to kick off singing YNWA
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:06 pm

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby heimdall » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:08 pm

kazza wrote:It is a shame that after a great win like last night the usual suspects (the antis) cannot come on here and talk about how great we played with the same vigor that they say we are cr@p. Sad  :no

I really fecking hope that is not aimed at me because I am still buzzing after that win, it was almost completely faultless and was in fact perfect from Rafa.
Who's been negative then?
heimdall

Postby heimdall » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:10 pm

Ciggy wrote:Pulverised. There is no other word for it. Fittingly, for a team nicknamed The Meringues (Los Merengues), Real Madrid were splattered and dispersed over a wide area of Anfield in the manner of an airy fairy dessert. 

One that has been run over by a steamroller. Then another one. Then a herd of rampaging elephants. Driving more steamrollers.

The difficulty here is to explain the paucity of Madrid’s resistance while doing justice to Liverpool’s performance.

They were magnificent, arguably as great as they have been in Europe under manager Rafael Benitez, and that is saying something.

Better than the second half in Istanbul? Most definitely. In the end it probably did not matter that Madrid were bad because, even had they been good, they would not have lived with Liverpool in this form.

There was no contest here, no brave fightback, because Liverpool did not allow it. They went at Madrid from the first whistle with the verve and ambition of a team chasing a game, not defending a first-leg advantage.

The four-goal scoreline flatters Madrid, not Liverpool, and at least the Anfield regulars now know why a goalkeeper they prize so highly, Jose Reina, cannot force his way into Spain’s team. Iker Casillas, the Madrid goalkeeper, was outstanding. Without him, this could have been the most amazing result in the history of European competition.

Instead, when Andrea Dossena added the fourth from Javier Mascherano’s cross after 88 minutes, it merely became one of them. Here were two clubs with legendary status in Europe, but only one that justified the reputation. Real Madrid waved a white flag of surrender so early that Benitez’s glorious triumph was almost an anti-climax.

In the Bernabeu he had to work for victory, leaving it late, against the odds; at Anfield, Liverpool were playing exhibition football long before Frank De Bleeckere, the referee, put a stop to proceedings.

Madrid were a force in nothing but name and Benitez may have yearned for more of a challenge. He could not have hoped for a better performance, though. He joked on the eve of the game that he might even smile if his team went 5-0 up, and they went damn close to making him happy.

As ever, the Champions League brought the very best out of his players, and his stars, Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard, were outstanding.

It was Torres who set the tone, though, the way he took the game to Madrid being the catalyst for a high-tempo performance that must surely be the benchmark for any team with ambitions to lift the Champions League trophy this season; or, in one case, retain it.

hmmm, is this your post Ciggy? you suddenly became a hell of a lot more eloquent if it is, "paucity" :wwww  :D
heimdall

Postby Ciggy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:10 pm

There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:11 pm

Lee J wrote:
GRAHAM01 wrote:

ok mate, well just in case i dont spot ya I'll be the one on the kop at 5 minutes to kick off singing YNWA

just in case i don't spot you i will sing LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL at the top of my voice at some point in the game  :laugh:
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:13 pm

heimdall wrote:
kazza wrote:It is a shame that after a great win like last night the usual suspects (the antis) cannot come on here and talk about how great we played with the same vigor that they say we are cr@p. Sad  :no

I really fecking hope that is not aimed at me because I am still buzzing after that win, it was almost completely faultless and was in fact perfect from Rafa.
Who's been negative then?

someone take his temperature  :D
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:13 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:I have been critical of Rafa of late, and i can come on today and give him and the team all the praise they deserve.

It was simply fantastic, the best performance of the season, the tempo we played at just amazed me and left madrid in a spin, they had no answer and but for Casillas it would have been about 6.

That is the most proud i have been of the players and the manager in a long long time.

Anyone who finds negatives after that should really try and let themselves go a bit, thats what football is about.

We were massively entertained last night and over two legs against one of the biggest names in world football we produced flawless football.

Tactical masterstrokes again in europe from Rafa, credit where it is due, he is well and truly the man in europe.

I agree, the only negative and it is a very minor quibble, is with Babel, his attitude is very disappointing and you could hear that from the crowd as well, he seems paranoid about getting really stuck in, if he could add some more oomph to his game, as brilliantly demonstrated by the rest of the team yesterday, then he'd be a good player but until then I'm afraid it's a  :no
heimdall

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion