LIVERPOOL (1) v (0) REAL MADRID- 2nd leg - Back to the champions league

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:00 am

In a typical Madrid reactions against total defeats, the Madrid captain has begged to the Madridism, to forgive them  :laugh: for that defeat. Raul has said it has been the most bitter defeat in his career. And he's getting old.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:02 am

s@int wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:What? 4-0? Could have been 6?

I thought only Madrid, Arsenal, Barca, United etc etc played fancy attacking football?

5-0 aggregate was it? I thought we could only defend and steal a goal. Negative we are.

Stick yer Galatico's up yer bollox. Who's next?

So did I mate, and don't try telling me you wern't as surprised as the rest of us with the way we played tonight.

I'm surprised Rafa let the team be so free. But then again, Madrid were there for a tanking and the players obliged. We have it in us to play like this, yet we get done by Boro. I think it's certainly a player mentality thing without question, and the crowd is also a factor in this. Anyway, Sabre opened a thread about it.

Did anyone notice Rafa telling the players to "calm down" after the second goal? Well, at least it looked that way. I actually told him to f*ck off, but not out loud mind.  :laugh:
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:03 am

Sabre wrote:In a typical Madrid reactions against total defeats, the Madrid captain has begged to the Madridism, to forgive them  :laugh: for that defeat. Raul has said it has been the most bitter defeat in his career. And he's getting old.

Sure they were going to win 6-1 over two legs, don't you know.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:04 am

"Defeat ensured that Real were eliminated in the first knockout round of the Champions League for the fifth year in succession — not a crisis at many clubs in the world but intolerable at Real with their in-built superiority gene."
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DanAn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:05 am

Emerald Red wrote:
s@int wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:What? 4-0? Could have been 6?

I thought only Madrid, Arsenal, Barca, United etc etc played fancy attacking football?

5-0 aggregate was it? I thought we could only defend and steal a goal. Negative we are.

Stick yer Galatico's up yer bollox. Who's next?

So did I mate, and don't try telling me you wern't as surprised as the rest of us with the way we played tonight.

I'm surprised Rafa let the team be so free. But then again, Madrid were there for a tanking and the players obliged. We have it in us to play like this, yet we get done by Boro. I think it's certainly a player mentality thing without question, and the crowd is also a factor in this. Anyway, Sabre opened a thread about it.

Did anyone notice Rafa telling the players to "calm down" after the second goal? Well, at least it looked that way. I actually told him to f*ck off, but not out loud mind.  :laugh:

He did it a few times. Like when Gerrard's volley shot from Babel  cross was blocked.
DanAn

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:06 am

Did anyone notice Rafa telling the players to "calm down" after the second goal?

Yes mate.

Perhaps Rafa was worried like I was after the third goal. My fear was that on front of the evidence of such an humilliating defeat, a kind of defeat it's seen once a decade, some of the Madrid players would get nasty and do a knee breaking tackle.

In their honour, I must say that they're attitude in that front wasn't bad.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DanAn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:06 am

Sabre wrote:
Did anyone notice Rafa telling the players to "calm down" after the second goal?

Yes mate.

Perhaps Rafa was worried like I was after the third goal. My fear was that on front of the evidence of such an humilliating defeat, a kind of defeat it's seen once a decade, some of the Madrid players would get nasty and do a knee breaking tackle.

In their honour, I must said that they're attitude in that front wasn't bad.

Apart from Pepe and Heinze
DanAn

Postby ConnO'var » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:08 am

Reg wrote:Ripped then apart Conn. There were rivers of blood on the field.

:D

Outstanding mate!
Can't wait to get me @rse home and watch the replay.

Lord,
Let this be a the best of weeks
Lose to the Mancs, we can't afford
So let's shove it down the thoats of them pigs!
ConnO'var

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:46 am

Dundalk wrote:
DanAn wrote:Player ratings:
Arbeloa: 8 - Solid all night rarely if ever beaten
Skrtel - 6.5 - Good, gave away a dangerous free kick but generally solid alround
Carra - 7.5 - Excellent defence, didn't give Raul a sniff
Dossena - 8 Lovely running for the goal and didn't notice Robbin at all really
Masherano - 10 - Fantastic today, made it impossible for Real Madrid to start an attack
Alonso - 9 - Mash's partner in crime along with his usual sublime passing
Kuyt - 8 - He was really good, the thing that stood out for me was his first touch...seriously
Gerrard - 10 - A Captains knock, finished with two could have easily had four if not for some world class saves.
Babel - 9.5 Truely magnificent game with some very intelligent running. Fantastic cross for Gerrard's goal and played an important part in Dossena's as well.
Torres - 8 - Real had no answers for him though probably a bit lucky with the first. Some of his turn were just amazing.

Player ratings

Reina - 8
Arbeloa: 8
Skrtel - 7
Carra - 7
Aurelio - 8
Dossena - 7
Masherano - 9
Alonso - 9
Kuyt - 8
Gerrard - 9
Babel - 8
Torres - 10
Spearing - 7
Lucas - 7

Yeah that's better
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:23 am

Torres was putting in some great tackles out there. I wonder if he had a side bet with Mascherano :D
JoeTerp

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:31 am

"We did really well and kept on playing right up until the end," said Benitez. "I am pleased for everyone - for the players, the fans and the club as a whole.

"The team had a lot of confidence and approached the game in the right way. I think that the atmosphere helped us a lot as well so there are many positives, it was a fantastic all-round performance.

"Fernando and Stevie played very well, but I don't like to talk too much about just one player. The whole team - every player and all the staff, from the doctors and the coaches to the physios, everyone was very good. I thought we did very well for the fans.

"I think this result will do us a lot of good, the result pleased me a lot."

Liverpool dominated the match from start to finish and Benitez revealed it was his plan to surprise the Spanish giants with a storming performance out of the traps.

"They were expecting us to play very deep and on the counter attack," said the Reds boss.

"But we played a different game and tried to put them under pressure from the beginning. Then we were on top of them and I think we could have scored more.

"We knew that this game would be very tight and very difficult. Today we showed that we can play in different ways, it showed that we are a very good team."

But with a lunchtime clash with Premier League leaders Manchester United next up on Saturday, Benitez insisted he won't be allowing his players to bask in the win for long and revealed the Real result could be just what they need before that massive match.

"It is a great result, but now we have to focus on the game with United," he added.

"When you have an important game coming up, if the players play well and score four goals against a top side like Real Madrid just before then it will help us a lot in our approach to the next game. Now have two or three days to prepare for that and then we will see what happens at Old Trafford."
JoeTerp

Postby Effes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:57 am

Henry Winter in The Telegraph:

"Pepe was hopeless. Popeye could have done better. In fact, so could Olive Oil."

Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:03 am

Great performance by the lads. Would love to see that kind of performance when we travel to Old Trafford this weekend.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DanAn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:28 am

Effes wrote:Henry Winter in The Telegraph:

"Pepe was hopeless. Popeye could have done better. In fact, so could Olive Oil."

Pepe must not have eaten his spinach :laugh:
DanAn

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:53 am

What's the Dunphy fella been saying about us tonight then? :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion