Liverpool 1-1 man city. - The sensible reaction thread.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:04 pm

If we could try and keep the Rafa is a c... comments, and the you lot are not real fans jibes out of here it'd be good.

The way i see it, and no real insight here, we are probably gone for all money now in the Prem. Not totally, but probably. That said, we are all makign the assumption that the Mancs will continue as strongly as they are currently going. If they lost two on the bounce, we'd be back in it. Unlikely possibly, but by no means impossible.

As for today, we didn't lose the title in that match. They aren't a bad side by any means and showed it second half, and given their recent aquisitions I would think they are at least the same sort of standard as Everton, and possibly better.

If we have lost it, we probably lost it earlier in the season with all the draws. For now, we have to i guess really focus ont he Champions League, and hope the Mancs fall in a bit of a hole.

Not really that much changed today though. We didn't play awful, we just failed to beat Man City at Home. One of those things, and I hope it doesn't descend into anarchy on here as a result of it.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:10 pm

I said after thatr draw to Hull this is it we have lost it. However as Utd had so many games in hand and were sitting in 4th no one here really wanted to believe that and just looked the other way. Well here we are with yet more points dropped. For me the problem is simple, our first team is good enough to match anyone else in the league however beyond that we have no strength with the same quality. This is why we are incapable of stringing together a decent run of results over a long period of time as oppose to knockout matches like the Champions League. We really must focus on Europe now, something I think Rafa has probably known for a while.

Like I said I called it this way after the Hull game but in fairness even calling it then was being optimistic. The many draws before that all contributed. So im not too :censored: of with todays results as it was always on the cards. We do not have a strong enough squad to challange for the title, we throw away too many points.

Anyway no time to feel sorry for ourselves we should be able to go on a decent run in Europe now.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:16 pm

Well I think as much as you can debate the quality of the players, we still don't really commit enough players into the box to score regularly for me. In the last 20 minutes today we looked really dangerous (largely due to Kuyt to be fair who was excellent) and we were flooding the area. I am absolutely convinced that we are far too circumspect during games, waiting for things to happen or being forced into chasing the game.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:18 pm

The truth is we have failed to win almost half our home games this season (6 out of 13 games drawn) while the mancs have drawn 1 at home. Until we get someone in who can create real chances we are going to be reliant on half chances and hit and hope shots from outside the box.

The title has gone imo and tbh I don't think we will ever have a better chance than we had earlier this season.
account deleted by request

Postby Effes » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:18 pm

We drew too many games last season, and it's the draws that are catching us out again this season.
People who keep mentioning that we've only lost 1 game, are missing the point IMHO.

This is something the manager had to rectify this season.

It's becoming a mantra now for Liverpool fans; "Next season will be our season."
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:18 pm

I think without Gerrard and Alonso in the squad today we were hoping that Torres would have a good game. Aside from a few nice passes/runs he was poor. Anyway regarding your point. Maybe it is that the players we have (aside from Kuyt) are not good enough in terms of killer instinct when it comes to attacking.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:20 pm

Effes wrote:We drew too many games last season, and it's the draws that are catching us out again this season.
People who keep mentioning that we've only lost 1 game, are missing the point IMHO.

This is something the manager had to rectify this season.

It's becoming a mantra now for Liverpool fans; "Next season will be our season."

I wouldnt even say that mate. I cant see building the squad properley becasue Rafa has to sell before he can buy meaning we will never be able to have quality beyond the 1st team.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:22 pm

bigmick wrote:....we still don't really commit enough players into the box to score regularly for me. I

Whose fault is that mick ?

No matter which way you look at it
a)sub-par players.....
b)no width at all
c)slowest crop of players in the league...take out gerrard and torres and this team will average 20 secs for a 100 metres race.
d)not enough players in the opposition box

5 years into the job....and still not much progress. I really think it has gone backwards....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:26 pm

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:34 pm

bigmick wrote:If we could try and keep the Rafa is a c... comments, and the you lot are not real fans jibes out of here it'd be good.

The way i see it, and no real insight here, we are probably gone for all money now in the Prem. Not totally, but probably. That said, we are all makign the assumption that the Mancs will continue as strongly as they are currently going. If they lost two on the bounce, we'd be back in it. Unlikely possibly, but by no means impossible.

As for today, we didn't lose the title in that match. They aren't a bad side by any means and showed it second half, and given their recent aquisitions I would think they are at least the same sort of standard as Everton, and possibly better.

If we have lost it, we probably lost it earlier in the season with all the draws. For now, we have to i guess really focus ont he Champions League, and hope the Mancs fall in a bit of a hole.

Not really that much changed today though. We didn't play awful, we just failed to beat Man City at Home. One of those things, and I hope it doesn't descend into anarchy on here as a result of it.

I don't think we played that well today Mick. Some people keep pointing out that we're still 2nd in the league blah blah blah, but that's just because Chelsea and Arsenal have been awful this year, afaic.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that, in general, Liverpool have played worse this year than last year. The current league position is just more flattering, because of outside factors.

One thing is certain now though. Our main task in the league now is not to pretend that we can win it, but to stop us slipping down any further, which is certainly a possibility given our form.
tonyeh

Postby tubby » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:41 pm

It seems to be a recurring pattern - we start at a decent pace but our play in the final 3rd is not good enough. We go on and on and eventually the opposition start to come out and they nick a goal. We spend the remainder of the match chasing a game we should have buried. It's a dangerous game to play and one that might have just cost us a chance at catching Utd.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:43 pm

At first I was like, :censored: bellamy.  Rafa is a :censored:.

Then I was all like, WOOO KUYT!!! GET FECKIN IN THERE!!!!!

Then I was all like, Rafa is a :censored:.

:D
SupitsJonF

Postby Raffmaker » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:43 pm

bigmick wrote:If we could try and keep the Rafa is a c... comments, and the you lot are not real fans jibes out of here it'd be good.

Mick, but what I would like to know is what is required now for Rafa to keep his job?

It seems clear to me that more and more fans are feeling a bit cheesed off with the lack of depth of quality in the sqaud and poor results.
Raffmaker

Postby tubby » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:45 pm

Raffmaker wrote:

Mick, but what I would like to know is what is required now for Rafa to keep his job?

It seems clear to me that more and more fans are feeling a bit cheesed off with the lack of depth of quality in the sqaud and poor results.

I honestly don't think he will be sacked but I think for the season to not be a complete failiure we need to really push for winning the European Cup.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:49 pm

We wont win the CL so its pointless going all out for it TBH.

Gutted that our season is over now. But we are not good enough missed Alonso terribly today, im dreading the next few months.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion