Little chief to miss start of next season ? - Stuff the olympics masch

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby cpc4eva » Sun May 04, 2008 11:00 am

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/05/04/Prem-Mascherano-on-Olympics/

Masch to give Rafa Olympic headache
by Tom Kell, 04 May 2008

Liverpool could be without midfield linchpin Javier Mascherano for the opening blows of next season after the Argentine reiterated his intention to represent his country in this summer’s Olympic Games.

The Games run in Beijing from August 9 until August 21 meaning Mascherano would most likely have to link up with his team-mates before the domestic campaign has started.

Liverpool’s fourth-place finish is now assured, meaning they will once again have to go through the familiar rigour of Champions League qualification during the close-season.

Rafa Benitez would no doubt be loathed to see Mascherano miss such fixtures in order to go to Argentina’s pre-Olympic training camp, but the player himself looks ready to hold firm.

“I know that Liverpool will have big games when the Olympics are on and I have to speak to the manager about it,” said the former West Ham midfielder.

“But I want to go to Beijing because playing for my country is the most important thing for me.

“I am in the squad again so I think I will be going – it’s what I want to do. I won a gold medal in Athens [in 2004] – it would be important to any athlete to defend the gold medal.

“I haven’t spoken to Rafa yet because we have had some big games in the past few weeks, but now is the time to tell him.”
cpc4eva

Postby destro » Sun May 04, 2008 11:20 am

cpc4eva wrote:“But I want to go to Beijing because playing for my country is the most important thing for me.

???  Club before Country. Does that mean he could miss our first 4 games ?. I really don't think Raffa will be very happy about that, maybe bringing Barry in will cushion the blow a bit. If Barry comes in and does a good job then Mascherano will come back to find himself sat on the bench and he will only have himself to blame. I wonder what Fergies reaction will be if Tevez has made the same decision ?
destro

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun May 04, 2008 12:19 pm

It's possible Ronaldo may also be part of Portugal's Olympic team.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun May 04, 2008 12:23 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:It's possible Ronaldo may also be part of Portugal's Olympic team.

Aye the diving team! :laugh:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sun May 04, 2008 12:31 pm

Makes sense regards drafting in Barry if Masch/Lucas? is away for this tournament. Argentines are a passionate lot and i'd expect him to be going regardless of his managers wishes.

“But I want to go to Beijing because playing for my country is the most important thing for me"

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby JoeTerp » Sun May 04, 2008 12:33 pm

hopefully the schedule will favor us with WBA, Stoke, and Newcastle :D  to start the season and we can play Plessis, Lucas, or Guthrie, or Gerrard and ALonso in the middle. I know Javi is a huge part of our squad, but we are built just fine to be able to deal without him for a couple of weeks. Biggest worry for me would be a word that starts with an i and ends in jury
JoeTerp

Postby red37 » Sun May 04, 2008 12:35 pm

Lucas will be going as well wont he?

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun May 04, 2008 12:39 pm

The BBC asked Fergie to comment on Tevez playing for Argentina in the Olympic Games and surprisingly Fergie said "I think it's important he goes, because it's honourable to be loyal to one's nation, and there exists also the opportunity to comment and protest on China's policies towards Tibet, Taiwan and their support of the regime in Burma"
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Torres25 » Sun May 04, 2008 12:46 pm

lets hope we get a kind fixture list 2 start off with eh

as long as we dont get all the top teams like last year we should cope
Torres25

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 04, 2008 12:47 pm

destro wrote:
cpc4eva wrote:“But I want to go to Beijing because playing for my country is the most important thing for me.

???  Club before Country. Does that mean he could miss our first 4 games ?. I really don't think Raffa will be very happy about that, maybe bringing Barry in will cushion the blow a bit. If Barry comes in and does a good job then Mascherano will come back to find himself sat on the bench and he will only have himself to blame. I wonder what Fergies reaction will be if Tevez has made the same decision ?

Tevez has not been selected mate - as far as I am aware they have picked 3 over age players - Mascherano - some cb who I had never heard of .........and Riquelme.

ARQUEROS: Oscar Ustari (Getafe, ESP), Sergio Romero (AZ Alkmaar, HOL), Fabián Assman (Independiente) y Nicolás Navarro (Nápoles, ITA).

DEFENSORES: Martín Demichelis (+23, Bayern Munich, GER), Pablo Zabaleta (Espanyol, ESP), Ezequiel Garay (Racing de Santander, ESP), Federico Fazio (Sevilla, ESP), Cristian Ansaldi (FC Moscú, RUS), Gabriel Paletta (Boca Juniors) y Gastón Díaz (Vélez Sarsfield).

MEDIOCAMPISTAS: Juan Román Riquelme (+23, Boca Juniors), Javier Mascherano (+23, Liverpool, GBR), Esteban Cambiasso (+23, Inter, ITA), Fernando Gago (Real Madrid, ESP)), Ever Banega (Valencia, ESP), Angel Di María (Benfica, POR), Damián Escudero (Vélez Sarsfield), Diego Valeri (Lanús), José Sosa (Bayern Munich, GER), Claudio Yacob y Matías Sánchez (Racing de Avellaneda).

DELANTEROS: Diego Milito (+23, Zaragoza, ESP), Julio Cruz (+23, Inter, ITA), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Nápoles, ITA), Lionel Messi (Barcelona, ESP), Sergio Agüero (Atlético Madrid, ESP), Gonzalo Higuaín (Real Madrid, ESP), Marco Ruben (Recrativo de Huelva, ESP) y Lautaro Acosta (Lanús).

Not sure if that was the definative list, but no doubt if Tevez was picked he would soon get a mystery injury and be unable to travel.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sun May 04, 2008 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun May 04, 2008 1:10 pm

Rafa should announce that Masch had damaged his fifth lateral scallerio.

I just made that up, but it sounds legit.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sun May 04, 2008 1:14 pm

They hav Banega and Gago, no need to pick Mascherano as well, its  U23 tourny, Argentina should play its very talented holding midfielders that are of the right age, plus Mascha has already won the gold medal at the olympics before
JoeTerp

Postby JoeTerp » Sun May 04, 2008 1:18 pm

s@int wrote:Damián Escudero (Vélez Sarsfield),

wouldn't mind snapping him up
JoeTerp

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun May 04, 2008 1:21 pm

BBC News asked Masch if he was looking forward to the Olympics.

Masch said "sure...just give me one moment in time...where I'm more than I thought I could be...where all of my dreams are a heartbeat away...and the answers are all up to me"
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun May 04, 2008 2:20 pm

If you ask any Argie, no matter Redondo, Maradona, Ayala, Mascherano, Batistuta, Simeone, Messi, any, they'll say something of the lines "La albiceleste es lo máximo", they'll say that with a passion.

If you translate that to english, indeed you could translate "it's the most important thing".

But I wouldn't take the argie's words as a lack of commitment to the club, I'd read those words in it's proper context.

Mascherano has shown passion enough for this club with statements like "I'll play in no other english club".

The most annoying thing about this olympic competition is not actually the games, but that Mascherano will miss the preparation with the rest of the team.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion