Lets try and be positive - Forget last night

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:17 pm

Ok last night was a sh#t result but it's not the end of the world. Win our game in hand and we're back in the top 4 again!

This side is set up in a way that will enable us to dismantle inferior sides at home, and on current evidence we will get far more points at Anfield than we did last season.

Losing away to the Mancs is not a massive problem. We used to do well in that fixture, but it's how we do in the other games that matters. We can get hammered by the Mancs at OT every season for all I care, if we can go on and beat all the ****** teams that rob us of 20-30 points at Anfield.   

I feel we'll do better away at Chelsea and Arsenal (both smaller pitches and less hostile atmosphere). There was too much hype pumping United up last night. It was always going to be tough. Let's write it off as one of those games, and look to the future.

I also feel we'll get more points against Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal at home (shouldn't be tough, we got NONE last year). We're more positive at home these days, and will take the game to those teams.

Winning our home games will be crucial - and once the new players settle in that bit better, and the whole team settles into the new system, we can start looking to pick up draws and wins on the road.

:)  :)  :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redtribe » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:25 pm

well said that man
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:31 pm

What do you mean try and be positive  :)

I am positive, this was always going to be  tough season and early months are going to have teething problems. Maybe if something good came out of last night result was it burst that rather large filled bubble of hype that came out of Monaco win
I hate loosing to the MANCS but it was away game against a team that may be on the slide but still boasts a formidiable line up which had a lot to prove after recent results
The big test is how we bounce back against Norwich this weekend and then away leg in Greece especially with a midfield that has lost Stevie G

There will be more stumbles before the dynasty is rebuilt but future is still Red
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 72-1090627431 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:32 pm

hello, apart from my recent outburst saying i was disgusted, im not too concerned this season, as Rafa has only been in charge for five or six games. I still think we'll finish above the mancs, but most encouragingly for me, Rafa hasnt finished with his spending yet, when the transfer window opens. And if Kewell doesnt get his act together, he'll be playing elsewhere.
72-1090627431

Postby The_Rock » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:49 pm

If we perform like we did in the 1st half against arsenal, they will slaughter  us..... no doubt about that (although i hate to tell this).

Maybe we should focus on getting 4th & winning the FA Cup/ League cup for this season.

I am pretty sure RB is gonna buy more player/s in Jan and next summer. Lets face it, he is building from scratch here. He inherited a great squad at valencia & he won the La Liga. Sadly can't say the same here.

I don't wanna sound like sour grapes, but i starting to miss Owen (and i am one of his biggest critics in this forum).
Last edited by The_Rock on Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red_Si » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:49 pm

The Bolton and Man U games were poor performances but we would have come away with a point from each, had it not been for dodgy refereeing decisions.
Red_Si

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:50 pm

To me, xabi alonso showed just why he was rafa's first choice to replace gerrard if he chooses to leave. He is a thinking player who is able to create on the pitch everything that he wants with incredible vision.

While I usually always feared losing gerrard ( thru injury ) at some point in the season now i feel far more reassured that alonso and hamann are will be good enough partnership to tear teams apart.

The man is world class, believe me. :)
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:54 pm

stmichael wrote:To me, xabi alonso showed just why he was rafa's first choice to replace gerrard if he chooses to leave. He is a thinking player who is able to create on the pitch everything that he wants with incredible vision.

While I usually always feared losing gerrard ( thru injury ) at some point in the season now i feel far more reassured that alonso and hamann are will be good enough partnership to tear teams apart.

The man is world class, believe me. :)

No player is bigger than LFC. If Gerrard goes, he goes.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:59 pm

Red_Si wrote:The Bolton and Man U games were poor performances but we would have come away with a point from each, had it not been for dodgy refereeing decisions.

Although i would love to blame the ref after each liverpool defeat, this defeat against the scums was somewhat justified given how we played. (Believe me, it is very hard for me to say this).
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby soworse » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:24 pm

stmichael wrote:Ok last night was a sh#t result but it's not the end of the world. Win our game in hand and we're back in the top 4 again!

This side is set up in a way that will enable us to dismantle inferior sides at home, and on current evidence we will get far more points at Anfield than we did last season.

Losing away to the Mancs is not a massive problem. We used to do well in that fixture, but it's how we do in the other games that matters. We can get hammered by the Mancs at OT every season for all I care, if we can go on and beat all the ****** teams that rob us of 20-30 points at Anfield.   

I feel we'll do better away at Chelsea and Arsenal (both smaller pitches and less hostile atmosphere). There was too much hype pumping United up last night. It was always going to be tough. Let's write it off as one of those games, and look to the future.

I also feel we'll get more points against Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal at home (shouldn't be tough, we got NONE last year). We're more positive at home these days, and will take the game to those teams.

Winning our home games will be crucial - and once the new players settle in that bit better, and the whole team settles into the new system, we can start looking to pick up draws and wins on the road.

:)  :)  :)

i think it's always easy to get carried away by the excitement of new players and a new manager to the point that we forget the big picture.

I for one was pumped up for the match and was pretty pissedoff with our performance. But after the red veil subsided, things slowly fell into perspective.

Take away the hype. Take away the anomosity. Simply, this was a very tricky away game. The fact that we lost shouldn't be our main concern now, it should be the way we played.

Obviously, we played badly. But unless we show the same ineptness against norwich and olympiakos, the performance last night will just be a one-off. Let the gaffer work with the players. At least give him the chance to rectify the mistakes he saw in the game last night before slamming every single player in sight.

That's why i agree with StMike. The first task should be to build a fortress at home. And so far, the signs are encouraging.

For me, the Norwich game is massive. With or without SG, if we should somehow manage to ****** that one up, then it's time to get worried.
"I have said all along that we need time to improve as a team and it will probably be three or four months before we are playing at the level I want."- Benitez 29/08/04.
soworse

Postby akumaface » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:37 pm

To me, you win some and lose some in Football but the biggest problem is not having any effort from most of the players. I don't mind seeing them lose a game if they actually had put in the effort. You can't win them all and I'm sure most fans would understand. The effort was just not there in yesterday game. Now that Gerrard is out, hopefully, we can hang in there until he gets back from the injury.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby who the hell is diarra » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:00 pm

We cant beat the mancs EVERY time we play at Old Traford :D
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:00 pm

rafael benitzes has to make it a piority to mark players and not zones because every premiership manger would of taken note of our failure to clear from corners and defend.
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:17 pm

Hustlers Revenge wrote:hello, apart from my recent outburst saying i was disgusted, im not too concerned this season,

For a bonus point spell contradiction .......
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:21 pm

i know we shouldnt read to much into it, but i really hate man u, they are scum and this result has ruined my week. You cant tell me that any of u woke up this morning and smelt the roses, u were gutted, like i was and still am.
Its not about anything other than 3 points to the scum as far as im concerned and im gutted
plus  gerrard is injured now and out for 2 months, altho that might keep the wolves at the door who wanna buy him
Mancs just were way too pumped up and we just.. well we werent i guess
the next couple of games will show our resilience though and they can bring the smile back thats totally lacking today

football really can annoy me sometimes, but i lvoe it :blues: :p :D
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion