Lets not forget, - You can buy british aswell.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:14 am

Chelsea forever. wrote:
If Simao is worth 12 million quid then what is Ledley King really worth? The same? Less? Is Stuart Downing not cheap at less than 10?

bigmik - I get what your saying, but its difficult to nail down the price difference or relevance.

How many English players play out of England? Hargreevs, Woodgate, Beckham and for a year Owen, thats about it (recent past). Where as Spanish, Italian, African etc etc players are scattered all over the world.

Would a club in Spain be interested in buying King? or would King fancy a move to Spain? Unless its Madrid or Barca id have to say no! He'd be much happier at Spurs as opposed to playing for Athletico Madrid. However, Foreign players would come to England and not mind playing in the top 10 clubs or so. Its a very complicated matter.

But your point is very valid, if Simao is worth 12M or so then surely Downing would be a bargain at 7M or so, because he is proven here, there is no time required for him to adapt and he will produce from day one.

Hargreaves is as about as English as Greg Rudeski!  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby tel » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:34 am

bigmick wrote:Fat Frank is the best goalscoring midfield player in World football right now. Players who top the annual Real Madrid "players we would like to sign" fans poll are generally quite good in my experience. Ditto blokes whom players like Ronaldhino urge their managers to sign in order to win the CL are usually no mugs either. I don't like him when he barrels his way around the park against us but he is a top player.

If he is the worlds best scoring midfielfer player in the world right now, he wasnt before 100m was spent on players around him.

If you put him in our team right now in Stevie's place or Alonso, he wouldnt be the worlds best midfield scoring player.
tel

Postby tel » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:36 am

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:
darwisigila wrote:
I'd like to see how good a player Frank Lampard is without hundreds of millions of talent covering for him. Was he that great at West Ham? Was he even that good at Chelsea when he first joined? No he wasnt. He started scoring goals and getting noticed only when Ranieri brough in Makelele and the likes.

yeah u right.... i don see any special things fat lampard doing during match. he's not like our SG- lung busting run box to box, crunching tackle, defence splitting passes and the run he make when he lost the possesion. i don see that on fat lampard. he only good coz the players around him.

OH MY GOD!!!  TAKE OFF THE RED COLOURED GLASSES. 

I am a Liverpool fan through and through, but evn I can see Fat Frank is a great player.  "He only looks good coz of the players around him..."  Its a team game!  Heskey played next to Owen for god knows how long, but it didn't make him look any better.

Liverpool fans have always been thought to have a good football knowledge but statements like that just make us look like the bitters from over the park.

He wasnt the player he is before 100m was spent on players around him, and if you put him in any other team in the premiership, he wouldnt be the same player either.

You should read posts more carefully before throwing insults. Because they can come back at you twice as hard.
tel

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:54 am

I have re read the post... and I still think the same,

what do you mean they come back twice as hard???

Frank Lampard is an excellent midfielder, who the wiser members of this forum can see.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby JBG » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:34 am

I think that while Lampard is a very good player, he is over rated by the London press. Aside form his high enery which allows him to get into the box and his excellent shooting ability, he is rather average in tackling and passing, a lot like David Platt.

Lampard is highly effective at the moment but as soon as his engine starts to stutter, I don't see him remaining a top player.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:56 am

Lampard has a wonderful shot.

Superb stamina and fitness which helps immensely with his consistency.

Excellent movement and ability to time runs forward.

And a very high work rate.

Thats it really. He's good or decent at everything else. But he's not class at anything else. He's stupidly overated. There are plenty of players in this league in the same position that are better footballers or were better footballers, he's not in the class Scholes was in or Gerrard, let alone Keane or Vieira. Infact, i'd say Essien looks as good if not better than Lampard.

If you watch Lampard he doesn't influence games against the best players.

I remember in the Euro's Steve Gerrard chasing Zidane back and wins a great tackle off him. Then i remember Lampard going to try and tackle Zidane and bouncing off him like he'd hit a brick wall.
115-1073096938

Postby Judge » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:02 pm

JBG wrote:One thing must be said in Rafa's mitigation.

While Peter Crouch is the only "senior" British player he has signed, he has also brought in Scott Carson and Hobbes in his short time here, and we are constantly linked to young English players in the past few months. I think Rafa will sign his fair share of british talent, but I can't see him pay more than £10million for a British player.

dont forget we have that little stockport lad on trial also  :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:02 pm

JBG wrote:Lampard is highly effective at the moment but as soon as his engine starts to stutter, I don't see him remaining a top player.

That is kinda like saying A Ferrarri is a fast car, but it will struggle when it runs out of petrol!!

:D

I think most of us agree he is a good player.. that'll do for me... I'm outta here!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby AlanHansen » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:08 pm

There are a couple of reasons why clubs look overseas for players

1) Home grown ones aren't good enough
2) We need to play well in europe
AlanHansen

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:17 pm

AlanHansen wrote:There are a couple of reasons why clubs look overseas for players

1) Home grown ones aren't good enough
2) We need to play well in europe

Never head so much crap in my life.
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:29 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Lampard has a wonderful shot.

Thats it really. He's good or decent at everything else. But he's not class at anything else. He's stupidly overated. There are plenty of players in this league in the same position that are better footballers or were better footballers, he's not in the class Scholes was in or Gerrard, let alone Keane or Vieira. Infact, i'd say Essien looks as good if not better than Lampard.

I remember in the Euro's Steve Gerrard chasing Zidane back and wins a great tackle off him. Then i remember Lampard going to try and tackle Zidane and bouncing off him like he'd hit a brick wall.

To a tee, Stu.

The London press occasionally call Lampard a "midfield general" or even "one of the best two or three midfielders in the world".

He's excellent what he does, but so was David Platt in 1990. Platt scored as many goals as Lampard, and looked brilliant. He actually developed his game a bit further in Italy but as soon as his stamina went (i.e. when he returned to Arsenal) he was merely an average player.

I reckon the same will happen with Lampard, and to a lesser extent, Gerrard, although Gerrard has more ability than Lampard and Platt combined, and if he sorts out his few weaknesses, he could still be a top player in his early 30s.

Alonso, on the other hand, could remain at the top for the next ten years, as he doesn't rely on stamina.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Judge » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:42 pm

Alonso's passing reminds me of Jan Molby in his day. Both pass the ball sublimly
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:22 pm

Great assessment.

I've said before that Lampard reminds me of Scholes in his prime, but not quite as good.

He's a good player in a real purple patch of form, but it won't last forever.  He's been very fortunate with injuries also, in fact I can't remember him EVER being out injured, certainly not for Chelsea anyway.

Once he gets a few injuries to upset his rhythm and consistency we'll see what he's really made of.

And I'll add this, Lampard's all-round game is not good enough for the international scene.  He and Gerrard don't complement each other and imo Lampard has to make way.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:49 pm

john craig wrote:

Great assessment.

I've said before that Lampard reminds me of Scholes in his prime, but not quite as good.

He's a good player in a real purple patch of form, but it won't last forever.  He's been very fortunate with injuries also, in fact I can't remember him EVER being out injured, certainly not for Chelsea anyway.

Once he gets a few injuries to upset his rhythm and consistency we'll see what he's really made of.

And I'll add this, Lampard's all-round game is not good enough for the international scene.  He and Gerrard don't complement each other and imo Lampard has to make way.

Agree with you john craig about Lampard. 'Cos he can't track back and put in a decent tackle it means Gerrard is left to do it all and that really detracts from his game 'cos he is alot more than just a holding midfielder as we all know.

Back to buying british players though and one midfielder that has caught my eye in the prem. this season has bee Reo-Coker at West Ham; this guy looks as though he could have a bright future and I think we should make a move for him soon before chel$ki pass their beedy eyes over him. I know we aren't short of midfielders but this fella is only about 20 and he just seems to have so much to his game; he scores goals and is able to dictate the play around much like a certain mr gerrard; he also seems to have a mature head on his shoulders and good leadership skills.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:47 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:
john craig wrote:

Great assessment.

Agree with you john craig about Lampard. 'Cos he can't track back and put in a decent tackle it means Gerrard is left to do it all and that really detracts from his game 'cos he is alot more than just a holding midfielder as we all know.

Back to buying british players though and one midfielder that has caught my eye in the prem. this season has bee Reo-Coker at West Ham; this guy looks as though he could have a bright future and I think we should make a move for him soon before chel$ki pass their beedy eyes over him. I know we aren't short of midfielders but this fella is only about 20 and he just seems to have so much to his game; he scores goals and is able to dictate the play around much like a certain mr gerrard; he also seems to have a mature head on his shoulders and good leadership skills.

Reo-coker is a good player.  Before he went to west ham I think Sky sports news or Soccer am did a feature on him, I remember watching it.  He was playing for wimbledon or MK dons as they are now and he had just been made club captain aged 18 or something silly like that.  He looked a top player for his age back then and I'm wasn't surprised that he was instrumental in getting west ham up last year.

However I am surprised at just how quickly he's taken to the premiership.  Will be interesting to see if Reo-coker and west ham can maintain this form into the 2nd half of the season or whether they will be sucked into a relegation scrap in the end.

As for signing reo-coker, he may turn out to be a good player, but centre mid is absolute bottom of our priorities right now.  Watch someone like charlton, Boro or Spurs make a move for him though.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion