Lets not forget, - You can buy british aswell.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:55 pm

Luke Young great prospect for the future, I reckon we should rob him off Curbishley, perfect cover for Finnan, or for rotation.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:18 pm

stoney wrote:
Chelsea forever. wrote:I have a very good compilation of his which I could upload if anyones interested.

Yes, I would like to see that.

Ok, will put it up from work tomorrow - so thats about 12 hours from now.

Also have 2 Gerrard comps which ill upload,

Have a Joaquin, Ricardo Quoresma, Baros (which i had put here a while ago) and an 'Its my Religion' comp.

Let me know if you want any of those -
Chelsea forever.

Postby 76-1115222408 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:27 pm

Chelsea forever. wrote:
stoney wrote:
Chelsea forever. wrote:I have a very good compilation of his which I could upload if anyones interested.

Have a Joaquin, Ricardo Quoresma, Baros (which i had put here a while ago) and an 'Its my Religion' comp.

Yea put em all up !!!

Good thrad by the way guys, would contribute, but gotta clean the house!!! :(   . Maybe later eh?

:D
76-1115222408

Postby Sabre » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:39 pm

Ricardo Quoresma

Pile of cr*p

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:45 pm

Not too sure about this quaresma; i haven't seen much of him since he left barca but whilst he was there he was an annoying little bugger. Think along the lines of Luis Garcia but with the annoying pointless flicks and multiply them by a hundred. I am definatley in favour of Simao and that isn't just based on the goal against the manc $h!te; i always thought he was special and very much the new Figo when he was again at Barca. The problem was he was in Figo's shadow after he did a bunk to Madrid for all €.
At CB Ledley King would be a signing that would be the best signing we've made since old Gary Mac.:D
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:13 pm

bigmick wrote:If the xenophobia thing was a joke then suffice to say I didn't find it funny but there you go.

Mick I actually said a number of things in my post, but you only seem to pick up on the xenophobia thing. Had I said it next to you with a smile on my face you might have laughed, so lighten up buddy, you'll live longer.

For the record xenophobia is not a hatred of foreigners, but rather a fear of them (Mick I know you know this, so this is not for you).

I have lived in a number of countries in my life, and wherever I have gone, the local population think that they are the best. WHEREVER, NO EXCEPTIONS! Although I am English and white (well tanned now) I frankly do not give a f.uck what nationality a player is, and would judge him on the skill and passion he brings. So to me, to say we need English or foreign players is limiting my own options as a club. I do not think we should fill the team with only Spanish or English players because again we are only looking at a small pool of players, but I understand that that is where Raffa's Knowledge base is greatest.

Bottom line is that I feel my club should have the best players possible and the odds are great that many will be foreign. Once again I will say this. Were the referees in England to clamp down on overly physical football and let the skillfull players play, you will find that many of the so called flops would have been far better.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:53 am

LIVERPOOLANYTIME wrote:
Chelsea forever. wrote:
stoney wrote:

Yea put em all up !!!

Good thrad by the way guys, would contribute, but gotta clean the house!!! :(   . Maybe later eh?

:D

Joaquin

Mohamad Zidane

Will up the rest later

Enjoy
Chelsea forever.

Postby tel » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:37 am

If you look at which players have the biggest influence on games its the foreigners like Viera, Van Nistelrooy, Henry, Cantona, Schmiecal, .

The best defender for the scum last year was not ferdinand  but Heinze.

Everyone goes on about Chelsea's English players like Terry. He couldnt even get a game 2 years ago ahead of Desailly and was threatening to leave.

They've got 2 international fullbacks. How good is Glen Johnson compared to Ferreira? Or Bridge compared to Del Horno? Who is getting a game and who isnt.

I'd like to see how good a player Frank Lampard is without hundreds of millions of talent covering for him. Was he that great at West Ham? Was he even that good at Chelsea when he first joined? No he wasnt. He started scoring goals and getting noticed only when Ranieri brough in Makelele and the likes.

For all the fuss made about Arsenal's dependence on foreign players, they do at least have Campbell and Cole. When Campbell is injured, they are much more suspect defensively. What about their unbeaten season? Would they be unbeaten without Henry, Viera and the likes of Ljundberg and Pires on their game?

The club that stands out for me is our own. Our stars have always been English such as Owen and Gerrard, or Robbie Fowler and dare I mention McManaman. Problem for us has been we buy bad foreign players. Even when we pick up good foreign players like Litmanen, we dont use them properly.

We are better off buying a player like Joaquin at his peak and paying his market price, than buying Josemi, Nunez, Pellegrino and whatever looks cheap from overseas.

I would rather have had Rivaldo than 95% of the foreign players Houllier bought.

Meyer, Camara, Cheyrou, Biscan, Diao, Diouff, Vignal, and 20 others that I've done my best to wipe from memory
tel

Postby darwisigila » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:56 am

[quote]I'd like to see how good a player Frank Lampard is without hundreds of millions of talent covering for him. Was he that great at West Ham? Was he even that good at Chelsea when he first joined? No he wasnt. He started scoring goals and getting noticed only when Ranieri brough in Makelele and the likes.

yeah u right.... i don see any special things fat lampard doing during match. he's not like our SG- lung busting run box to box, crunching tackle, defence splitting passes and the run he make when he lost the possesion. i don see that on fat lampard. he only good coz the players around him.
darwisigila

Postby bigmick » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:30 am

kazza wrote:
bigmick wrote:If the xenophobia thing was a joke then suffice to say I didn't find it funny but there you go.

Mick I actually said a number of things in my post, but you only seem to pick up on the xenophobia thing. Had I said it next to you with a smile on my face you might have laughed, so lighten up buddy, you'll live longer.

Fair enough mate.

On the question of "foreigners" though, it somewhat misses my point to say I am looking for British players. What I did say in the original post was that I thought Alonso, Garcia etc etc were fantastic players and enriched our team. My point was that while we are scouring the leagues of Europe looking for our next stars, there may well be gems within our midst going undiscovered.

The Premiership is very different to La Liga, Serie A etc etc and adaption time varies from player to player but ranges from 3 months to never adapting at all. Some like and some don't and there's nothing wrong with going with proven performers in England, blokes who know what it's like to play at Bolton on a January midweek night.

I reiterate it doesn't necessarily mean English, white, anglo saxon. If people don't like Ledley King at around 15 million then consider William Gallas for about the same. If they don't like Stuart Downing for about 7 mill', how about Louis Boa Morte for about the same or ditto steed Malbranque. Consider Zoltan Gera from WBA, or Jaidi as a centre half from Bolton. Stelios from Bolton I was all up for, likewise Solano from Villa.
I'm not saying don't ever buy from abroad, but I am saying look in your backyard first.

There's a million options if we choose to look, but this British based players too expensive thing puzzles me sometimes. If Simao is worth 12 million quid then what is Ledley King really worth? The same? Less? Is Stuart Downing not cheap at less than 10? Tell you what, I've not seen a lot of Simao but he must be some feckin player.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:48 am

i just took a look at that mohamed zidan clip. and jesus christ! the lad is incredible!! seems to be able to go past any player whenever and however he likes, look strong and doesn't go down easily, can score any kind of goal. but he seems completely incapable of passing the ball to anyone even if they may be in a better scoring position - imagine milan baros x 1000! amazing talent though, shame he's not british... :D

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:52 am

darwisigila wrote:
I'd like to see how good a player Frank Lampard is without hundreds of millions of talent covering for him. Was he that great at West Ham? Was he even that good at Chelsea when he first joined? No he wasnt. He started scoring goals and getting noticed only when Ranieri brough in Makelele and the likes.

yeah u right.... i don see any special things fat lampard doing during match. he's not like our SG- lung busting run box to box, crunching tackle, defence splitting passes and the run he make when he lost the possesion. i don see that on fat lampard. he only good coz the players around him.

OH MY GOD!!!  TAKE OFF THE RED COLOURED GLASSES. 

I am a Liverpool fan through and through, but evn I can see Fat Frank is a great player.  "He only looks good coz of the players around him..."  Its a team game!  Heskey played next to Owen for god knows how long, but it didn't make him look any better.

Liverpool fans have always been thought to have a good football knowledge but statements like that just make us look like the bitters from over the park.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby bigmick » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:58 am

Fat Frank is the best goalscoring midfield player in World football right now. Players who top the annual Real Madrid "players we would like to sign" fans poll are generally quite good in my experience. Ditto blokes whom players like Ronaldhino urge their managers to sign in order to win the CL are usually no mugs either. I don't like him when he barrels his way around the park against us but he is a top player.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:02 am

One thing must be said in Rafa's mitigation.

While Peter Crouch is the only "senior" British player he has signed, he has also brought in Scott Carson and Hobbes in his short time here, and we are constantly linked to young English players in the past few months. I think Rafa will sign his fair share of british talent, but I can't see him pay more than £10million for a British player.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:05 am

If Simao is worth 12 million quid then what is Ledley King really worth? The same? Less? Is Stuart Downing not cheap at less than 10?

bigmik - I get what your saying, but its difficult to nail down the price difference or relevance.

How many English players play out of England? Hargreevs, Woodgate, Beckham and for a year Owen, thats about it (recent past). Where as Spanish, Italian, African etc etc players are scattered all over the world.

Would a club in Spain be interested in buying King? or would King fancy a move to Spain? Unless its Madrid or Barca id have to say no! He'd be much happier at Spurs as opposed to playing for Athletico Madrid. However, Foreign players would come to England and not mind playing in the top 10 clubs or so. Its a very complicated matter.

But your point is very valid, if Simao is worth 12M or so then surely Downing would be a bargain at 7M or so, because he is proven here, there is no time required for him to adapt and he will produce from day one.
Chelsea forever.

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion