Let stevie be the striker...now! - Before torres returns

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Tiiger » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:41 pm

Rafa once said that Stevie will be a good striker when he gets older. Well, I think he'd better put him in the front line right now because when striking a ball, no others are more capable than the captain on this current team.

I'm not here to bash any of our available strikers. It's just a painful fact that Stevie is way better. Let's count it one by one.

Kuyt is a hustler who works his :censored: off all over the pitch. However, he can not operate on his own in the box. He is neither faster or jumping higher than Stevie, and his first touch is poor comparing to elite strikers. Our team strategy features a lot of crosses from both flanks, but Kuyt can't knock down a bit of them -- he is too week in the air and too slow to get in front of defenders.

Kean is becoming a headache whose condition is even worse than Kuyt. Benayoun, Bable and El Zhar are no first team materials. Who can we turn to? Only Stevie.

In the draw against Hull, Stevie netted two goals in a worldclass striker fashion. The first one started with a cross from Kuyt on the right wing and Stevie converted with a follow-up. The second one was even more significant -- Stevie stayed as a striker during that attack, positioned himself well and finished it with no mercy. Killer's instinct, that's what we are talking about!

If we have Stevie as the striker, he will have a better chance to convert a cross, or have more touches in the box and smash them right away, or even cushion for others. He can also creates his own chances thanks to his talent. We can put Kean, Kuyt or Benayoun behind him as a subordinate and let Mascherano and Alonso cover the middle field.

Well, it's just a thought. I really don't want to see our skipper doing all the things, from a defending to scoring. However, right now I just have no confidence in anybody else in scoring except the injured Torres.

BTW, don't use too much crosses, Rafa. Crouch's gone already.
Those who forget the past have no future.
Tiiger

Postby Bam » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:42 pm

I thought you were a Hull fan, I was gonna say how well your lads done today.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby LegBarnes » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:46 pm

Tiiger wrote:Rafa once said that Stevie will be a good striker when he gets older. Well, I think he'd better put him in the front line right now because when striking a ball, no others are more capable than the captain on this current team.

I'm not here to bash any of our available strikers. It's just a painful fact that Stevie is way better. Let's count it one by one.

Kuyt is a hustler who works his :censored: off all over the pitch. However, he can not operate on his own in the box. He is neither faster or jumping higher than Stevie, and his first touch is poor comparing to elite strikers. Our team strategy features a lot of crosses from both flanks, but Kuyt can't knock down a bit of them -- he is too week in the air and too slow to get in front of defenders.

Kean is becoming a headache whose condition is even worse than Kuyt. Benayoun, Bable and El Zhar are no first team materials. Who can we turn to? Only Stevie.

In the draw against Hull, Stevie netted two goals in a worldclass striker fashion. The first one started with a cross from Kuyt on the right wing and Stevie converted with a follow-up. The second one was even more significant -- Stevie stayed as a striker during that attack, positioned himself well and finished it with no mercy. Killer's instinct, that's what we are talking about!

If we have Stevie as the striker, he will have a better chance to convert a cross, or have more touches in the box and smash them right away, or even cushion for others. He can also creates his own chances thanks to his talent. We can put Kean, Kuyt or Benayoun behind him as a subordinate and let Mascherano and Alonso cover the middle field.

Well, it's just a thought. I really don't want to see our skipper doing all the things, from a defending to scoring. However, right now I just have no confidence in anybody else in scoring except the injured Torres.

BTW, don't use too much crosses, Rafa. Crouch's gone already.

I said this about 14 months ago but every one jumped on my back saying i was clueless , I said ok we prob never see him as striker but I felt he had all the skills to be fantastic striker.

But the biggest question is will we miss him in midfield to much and would it just not be easyer to man mark him out of game.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:49 pm

Yes, let's put Gerrard as our lone striker, further undermining the confidence of Keane, Kuyt and whoever the f*ck else plays in that position as their natural position and upset the balance in the camp. Great idea. ???
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tiiger » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:53 pm

Emerald Red wrote:Yes, let's put Gerrard as our lone striker, further undermining the confidence of Keane, Kuyt and whoever the f*ck else plays in that position as their natural position and upset the balance in the camp. Great idea. ???

Do you think Rafa have confidence on any of these guys (Kean, Kuyt, Benayoun ...)  right now?
Tiiger

Postby Tiiger » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:54 pm

Bam wrote:I thought you were a Hull fan, I was gonna say how well your lads done today.

I know you are drunk.
Tiiger

Postby Emerald Red » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:57 pm

Tiiger wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:Yes, let's put Gerrard as our lone striker, further undermining the confidence of Keane, Kuyt and whoever the f*ck else plays in that position as their natural position and upset the balance in the camp. Great idea. ???

Do you think Rafa have confidence on any of these guys (Kean, Kuyt, Benayoun ...)  right now?

Obviously he does, but that's not the point. Just because Keane didn't get a kick today doesn't mean he's no confidence in him. He obviously has faith in Kuyt, but for me Kuyt needs to be rested. If Rafa is at fault, it's by this. Keane should have played as he obviously wants to make an impression, but Kuyt is just burnt out. He needs a break. I'm surprised Keane didn't get on to be honest, but who knows what idea Rafa had. Either way, we still should have scored at least 4 or more goals with or without Robbie, or indeed any of the other strikers. Everyone is at fault, and not just the manager. The players had their fair share of chances, and in Carra's case, bad luck.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thewaykokid » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:13 am

Like i said in the Robbie Keane thread.........we need his old pal...........you know.......the really creepy Bulgarian :blues:
If you can't amaze people with your intelligence, try confusing them with your :censored: :)
Thewaykokid

Postby Keris » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:24 am

The only reason Gerrard is getting into good position in because he is coming in from midfield.
Should he become a 'recognized' striker, defenders will be paying more attention to him, limiting his movement.
He is fine where he is right now in midfield.
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:29 am

Let's face it, this is Stevie we're talking about. If he'd been right back for the game we'd have a
Let Stevie be right-back thread. The guy's simply immense, but to narrow his options by playing him up front is ludicrous.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedEire » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:03 am

ER - how do thinks Keane's confidence is when he sees kids like Ngog and El Zhar being used instead of him.  Surely to god, any player (proven premiership player) that see kids that have done nothing in the game being used before him is the biggest kick in the balls.  When do we see Wenger, Ferguson or any of the other top managers behave in such a way.  Yes Keane is struggling for form but when Crouch/Morientes were in the same boat, Rafa persisted in them - why not Keane - this was the second PL game in row he has not being used.
Gerrard proved yesterday that he has the ability to play in the box.  His contribution in midfield yesterday was very limited and there was periods of the game when Gerrard got the ball, played it out right but then stopped and held back - i would have loved to see him continue into the box where he would get the return ball.  However, on three or four occassions either Arbeloa or El Zhar, decided not to cross - was this because there was no-one in there for them to aim at? ????  Hard to see on TV but I would wager it could be something like that.
RedEire

Postby Madmax » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:56 pm

i agree put him in strike until torres returns. his our only goal force stevie is
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:02 pm

We need torres desperately.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby Madmax » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:17 pm

Alex G. wrote:We need torres desperately.

ahem to that. i really miss the fella.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:22 pm

Alex G. wrote:We need torres desperately.

Would sure fix up our woeful home form, he spoiled us at home last year.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion