Let's get behind the team..... - ....for the remainder of the season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bring Dalglish back » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:40 pm

A majority of the supporters who have posted messages in various threads in the forum- including myself (I openly admit it) - have been criticising the teams' displays this season, in-particular the efforts of the manager.

Last night's victory at Chelsea however, epitomised the fighting spirit we need to get into the Champions League and the match possibly marked the turning point in our season.

The performance of our lads connoted a display reminiscent of the spirit shown when we won the UEFA, Worthington and FA Cup - so long may this kind of attitude remain.

I think we need to now all have FAITH, keep our fingers crossed and back the manager and the team, irrespective of what our gut feelings towards the entire Liverpool staff are.

With regards to our form, what I find particularly interesting is that the fact that we have picked up more points away, than at home. On this basis, if we can sort out our form on our own back yard as well as keeping up our form on our travels then we shouldn't have to worry about the likes of Charlton behind us.
"People Say football is a matter of life and death" , " I believe it is much more important than that", Bill Shankly.
Bring Dalglish back
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Coley » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:52 pm

I agree, i've been one of GH's critics too, but i think we need to shut up now (at least to the end of the season) and get behind the team no matter what.  At the end of the day we would still support Liverpool if Ken Dodd was the manager, so it shouldn't make any difference who is.  We need to start singing our heads off again and may be the players will respond?
Coley

Postby Scott9 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:58 pm

I have also moaned about Liverpool a lot recently, in particular
the fact they can't beat teams they should. They were unlucky to lose to Man U and Arsenal earlier in the season and these two teams are now miles ahead of Liverpool. I still think the 4th place position will be between Liverpool and Newcastle, i think the likes of Charlton and Fulham have played very well for their standards and Liverpool and been playing very average with a lot of the time playing with there second rate players due to injuries. Once Liverpool have their strongest team available they are one of the top 4 teams in the country but are STILL not good enough to win the league.
I think if Liverpool do not make the top 4 then a change of personnel will have to be made.
I am not getting overly exicited about Liverpool beating Chelsea because as this season shows Liverpool are very inconsistent. Maybe if they win there next 2-3 games we can start beleiving they will get Champions League next year.
Liverpool were not lucky getting Newcastle in the next round of the FA cup but if they beat them who knows they can beat a lot of teams on their day.
Scott9

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:30 pm

:D  :D  :D  :D

Everybody getting carried away again!

Where was that "fighting spirit" in the matches against Southampton, against Yeovil, against Bolton in the League cup, away to Portsmouth?

Last night was a brilliant win, but wait for us to lose away to Spurs or at home to Blackburn.

Houllier always pulls off a big result to save his bacon.

The bottom line is that we are still fighting it out with small clubs for the 4th spot when those clubs who should be our main rivals have disappeared over the horizon.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:40 pm

It's hard to support Houllier when you truly believe he won't win us the League. OK we're in a good position for fourth spot but it isn't that situation I'm worried about. As JBG correctly says, it is the way we've lost to very average teams. Anfield is no longer a fortress and even the likes of Southampton come and take the points. As I see it, we are meandering through season after season with no real pattern. Does anyone know what to expect next game? Will we be strong at home all season? We have NOTHING to build from - no strong defence, no free-scoring attack, no midfield genius. Is there one single aspect we can rely upon? Houllier started out right and sorted out the defence. Since then that hard work has been undone by a series of poor signings.

Good result last night but take a look beyond results, possibilites and blind faith and ask yourself the key question - can Houllier really win what he set out to?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:50 pm

Well said Owzat: you can always rely on the likes of you, Big Al, Supersub, GreenRed and Has for a bit of brevity in these situations.

Can people not see that the pattern of the past 14 months has been a few good wins, a few awful one, some odd draws, and absolutely no consistancy.

The biggest problem of all is that we are struggling, in a serious way, at Anfield.

I'd prefer to lose to Man UTD, Arsenal and Chelsea, home and away, if it meant that we picked up more points against the lesser teams.

Man UTD often lose to us, Chelsea and Arsenal, but they ALWAYS beat the Evertons, the Blackburns, the Leicesters. Look at the table: didn't beat Arsenal, lost to Chelsea, but 16 wins against the other teams from 20 games. Thats sensational.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:59 pm

Last nights result means nothing  unless we build on it and go on a decent run in the league.How many times have we got a good result only to blow it in the very next match?It takes a special group of players to perform to their maximum week in week out and I have serious doubts our players are that special.We achieved last night what bolton did a few weeks back.No more than that.Consistency is the only true test of a teams credentials.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby coops » Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:47 pm

I won't change my opinion based on one match. That would make me fickle now wouldn't it? And that I am not. I can support LFC and still be critical of GH and those players who do not deserve to be wearing the red shirt.

I have mixed feelings about last night. Whilst I am glad of the 3 points, the performance was that of a rabbit caught in a headlight, we had one shot on target and scored, and defended for the whole game like we were bottom of the league fighting for our Premiership lives, against a Chelsea side suffering a severe dip in form.

Also, GH now believes he has proven his critics wrong. What a pile of sh##e. How can one game prove ANYTHING? I think this is an indication of GH's state of mind.
coops

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:49 pm

Coops, Greenred and Owzat......I agree with you all.

Beating Leicester, Blackburn and Middlesbro at home over the next few fews will be the acid test. People might laugh at me for raising this point, but look at all the points we drop at home.

I don't particularly care if we lose to Arsenal and Man Utd as long as we beat all the small teams and pick up that Champions League spot.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Gareth G » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:28 pm

I agree with the last few people's comment's but i do hope it will make a change, in the match last night i seen team spirit and that's what i like to see. The lad's new they had to work hard and they did just that.

With the recent report's confirming Liverpool are not signing anyone will change our club's way's i think. I reckon Houllier has had a long, long talk with the squad and told them that this is it, they need to get together and work hard as a team to pull out of this bad run, i am more confident now than i have been all year in reaching 4th place. Another thing about this too is that it will boost the player's moral, particularly the one's who are not performing, they all know that they have another chance to be relieved of head up a#se syndrome. I think our club will come together now and that's not based on recent result's but a number of thing's that's been happening lately!
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:03 pm

Whatever happens we will not win the league under Houllier.
He will still make up every excuse in the book KNOWING it's an absolute lie,And this rubbish about dedicating this win to the fans?What a load of rubbish,What about dedicating the TITLE to us? And is he only dedicating the win to the so called FANS thet don't complain, go to games, and never pick up a phone?.GH should realise the damage has been done,By insulting those fans who have the good sense not to be fooled by a spin doctor.
I always follow my heart and i'm sad to say my love affair with GH long since died the day he insulted the fans and pulled the wool over peoples eyes by lying in the most disgraceful and anything but sophisticated manner in which he has.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bring Dalglish back » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:09 pm

In reply to some of the posts in this thread, I agree that Houllier won't win the league for us, but our objective this season is to qualify for the Champions League and that is still feasible. WE HAVE TO GET BEHIND HIM BECAUSE THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS - HOULLIER IS NOT, REPEAT NOT [B] GOING TO GET THE SACK THIS SEASON. Liverpool are not a 'sacking' kind of club!!!
"People Say football is a matter of life and death" , " I believe it is much more important than that", Bill Shankly.
Bring Dalglish back
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ROBtheRED » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:38 pm

"I have never once said in my 13 years since I left Liverpool that a manager should be sacked because I know how hard the job is. What Liverpool need now is for everyone involved with the club, and with a feeling for it, to deliver 100% support and for the team to start winning matches. The players also need to be reminded that this is Liverpool they are playing for. If they simply accept that fourth is good enough they will be lying down and accepting it is all over - and I honestly don't believe they think like that." ALAN HANSEN 6.1.04
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby columbia » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:31 pm

this season has been a bit of a downer for me so far. However yesterdays game was a lot more like the liverpool of old. They played with passion which was great to see. Its brought new optimism for me and im sure many others. Im fully behind the team, BRING ON VILLA!  :cool:
columbia

Postby Bring Dalglish back » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:01 pm

Instead of consolodating our position near the Champions League spots, we need to break into that top four now, try to win a few games on the trot and pull away. The question is, can we do that!
Bring Dalglish back
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion